Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 7th Aug 18, 1:29 PM
    • 3,915Posts
    • 4,910Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Asking for a raise
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:29 PM
    Asking for a raise 7th Aug 18 at 1:29 PM
    What's the best way to ask for a raise when it's not necessarily down to how great I am, haha?

I feel that I do my job well, but it is more the case that I haven't had a raise for the past four years and I believe some companies give an increment each year due to inflation or living costs.
    Pink Sproglettes born 2008 and 2010
    House Worth (approx) - 400,000
    Mortgages (3rd Nov 2017) - 180,813.85
    Equity - 219,186.15
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 7th Aug 18, 1:33 PM
    • 5,780 Posts
    • 5,982 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:33 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:33 PM
    A good time to bring it up would be at any annual performance review.

There isn't a 'right' to a raise (outside of NMW / NLW). Or a contractual agreement, but I assume you don't have that.

The only other card you have is - is it cheaper to pay you more than to hire someone as good as or better than you.
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 7th Aug 18, 1:38 PM
    • 3,915 Posts
    • 4,910 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:38 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:38 PM

There isn't a 'right' to a raise (outside of NMW / NLW). Or a contractual agreement, but I assume you don't have that.

The only other card you have is - is it cheaper to pay you more than to hire someone as good as or better than you.
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Thanks. Because I work for a sole practitioner, there doesn't seem to any rules for what to do. He is a good boss in general and yes, he could get someone cheaper, but I have been here almost 15 years and believes that he appreciates the work and loyalty.

Just feel awkward bringing the subject up when it is because of time rather than performance.
    Equity - 219,186.15
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 7th Aug 18, 1:43 PM
    • 5,780 Posts
    • 5,982 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:43 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:43 PM
    Thanks. Because I work for a sole practitioner, there doesn't seem to any rules for what to do. He is a good boss in general and yes, he could get someone cheaper, but I have been here almost 15 years and believes that he appreciates the work and loyalty.

Just feel awkward bringing the subject up when it is because of time rather than performance.
    Originally posted by pollyanna24

Sure and sometimes in depth knowledge of a business is worth a lot.

If it's such a small environment you could suggest a quick chat to discuss it.

Something along the lines of: "My pay has stagnated for 4 years, whilst inflation rises; I'm now feeling the strain. Is there scope to increase my salary?"

If not, you would be best placed to look elsewhere.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 7th Aug 18, 1:59 PM
    • 6,468 Posts
    • 30,593 Thanks
    bugslet
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:59 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:59 PM

As an employer, I'd say n't be! It's reasonable enough after four years to ask as otherwise you are earning less and less. Your boss must know how much inflation has gone up over a period of four years.
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 7th Aug 18, 2:31 PM
    • 3,915 Posts
    • 4,910 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:31 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:31 PM
    Thanks. I will ask at Xmas as that is when I usually ask. I asked two years ago and cos the business wasn't doing well, he said no.

But now almost another two years have gone past so...
    Equity - 219,186.15
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 7th Aug 18, 2:39 PM
    • 3,915 Posts
    • 4,910 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:39 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:39 PM
    If wages rise in line with inflation, what kind of raise should I be asking for (I know inflation rates are prob all over the place, but is there a general rule)?
    Equity - 219,186.15
    • chelseablue
    • By chelseablue 7th Aug 18, 2:40 PM
    • 2,651 Posts
    • 3,076 Thanks
    chelseablue
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:40 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:40 PM
    If wages rise in line with inflation, what kind of raise should I be asking for (I know inflation rates are prob all over the place, but is there a general rule)?
    In March this year we all got a 4% pay rise where I work
    Mortgage starting balance 231,000
    Mortgage after Year 1 225,000
    Mortgage after Year 2 218,000
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 7th Aug 18, 2:54 PM
    • 5,780 Posts
    • 5,982 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:54 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:54 PM
    Here you go http://www.in2013dollars.com/2014-GBP-in-2018?amount=100
    • gettingtheresometime
    • By gettingtheresometime 7th Aug 18, 3:23 PM
    • 4,228 Posts
    • 10,825 Thanks
    gettingtheresometime
    Realistically, if you went for another job like the one you have now what salary could you hope to get?

Like you I once went 4 years without a salary increase so I went out and got myself a job that paid 5k more.

I didn't end up taking the job but it opened up my boss' eyes to my worth.

Bear in mind though you can only do this once!
    Lloyds OD / Natwest OD / PO CC / Wescott / Argos Card cleared thanks to the 1 debt v 100 day challenge

Next on the list - JD Williams
    • takman
    • By takman 7th Aug 18, 3:43 PM
    • 3,786 Posts
    • 3,450 Thanks
    takman
    Thanks. I will ask at Xmas as that is when I usually ask. I asked two years ago and cos the business wasn't doing well, he said no.

Why not ask now, i don't see the benefit of putting it off until Christmas.

But i reckon the best time to ask for an inflation related rise is when he puts his prices up to keep up with inflation. It would be easy to justify an increase in pay after an increase in what he charges.
    • pollyanna24
    • By pollyanna24 7th Aug 18, 3:54 PM
    • 3,915 Posts
    • 4,910 Thanks
    pollyanna24
    Why not ask now, i don't see the benefit of putting it off until Christmas.

But i reckon the best time to ask for an inflation related rise is when he puts his prices up to keep up with inflation. It would be easy to justify an increase in pay after an increase in what he charges.
    Originally posted by takman
    Yeah, he put up his own prices a while ago. And the wage of the sec who works here 1 day a week (the 1 day I don't work).

Hmm. Maybe I should ask now. I'm scared, need time to work up to it.
    Equity - 219,186.15
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 7th Aug 18, 7:39 PM
    • 6,959 Posts
    • 9,182 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    Do a bit of research. Look at job listings for similar jobs and see what is on offer.
    Consider how your pay compares. So if you were to change jobs you have an idea of what you might earn elsewhere, and what he might have to pay of he took on someone else to replace you.
    Think about the % increase in his prices. (although bear in mind that there may be other outgoings which have increased, so his net profit probably hasn't gone up by as big a % as the prices
    • jobbingmusician
    • By jobbingmusician 7th Aug 18, 7:42 PM
    • 19,361 Posts
    • 19,934 Thanks
    jobbingmusician
    I think I'd be very hurt if prices went up, and the other admin person went up, and my salary WASN'T increased. He is taking the p.
    I'm the Board Guide on the Matched Betting; Referrers and Jobseeking & Training boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

The good folk of the matched betting board are now (I hope!) supporting Macmillan, in memory of Fifigrace. Visit
    https://www.gofundme.com/running-the-leeds-10k-for-macmillan
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 7th Aug 18, 8:18 PM
    • 39,249 Posts
    • 36,204 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Originally posted by Comms69
    Interestingly, our annual appraisal documentation says that this is NOT to time to ask for a payrise! I'm not quite sure when IS the time, but as we are on set payscales there's not a lot of variation, and we have had a % increase for the last few years.

I think I'd be very hurt if prices went up, and the other admin person went up, and my salary WASN'T increased. He is taking the p.
    Originally posted by jobbingmusician
    Yes, but maybe they asked, and the OP didn't!
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats, 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself, multiple poppies, 3 peony flowers, 4 butterflies ...
    Current projects: ready to decrease / decreasing on all parts of the mohair cardigan pattern! but moved onto wrist warmers for friends at Christmas ...
    • Les79
    • By Les79 7th Aug 18, 10:05 PM
    • 683 Posts
    • 754 Thanks
    Les79

The only thing I'd be wary of is the fact that you may be coming across as a bit *settled* in your approach. If you only ever ask at Xmas ("when I usually ask") then it becomes a sort of routine whereby the employer knows roughly when you'll ask, and how you'll respond if they decline (and the employer can put a script together to address your query!).

In contrast, if you throw a curveball in, say, August and ask for a raise then you give off the impression that it is becoming a bigger issue for you (especially given you didn't wait till Xmas) and the response may be more favorable.

I think you just need to word it in such a way which VERY SUBTLY hints at a possible exit from you, highlights your value to the company and doesn't get anyone's back up. Tricky, but do-able.

Also, you should see what the going rate is for someone in your position... Whilst I appreciate your desire to progress on the money ladder, the reality may be that you are fairly well recompensed for your work. OR you could use such information as leverage against the employer.
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 8th Aug 18, 8:51 AM
    • 6,468 Posts
    • 30,593 Thanks
    bugslet
    No there is no rule. Our wages went up by 3% this year, 2.6% last year. In 27 years there has only been one year when there wasn't a wage rise (2009), when I think a lot of the country didn't get a pay rise!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

532Posts Today

4,286Users online

Martin's Twitter