Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Zebedy83
    • By Zebedy83 7th Aug 18, 12:26 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Zebedy83
    Need advice as a tenant
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:26 PM
    Need advice as a tenant 7th Aug 18 at 12:26 PM
    Hi all.

We recently moved in to a property that has been recently re decorated and was in the process of redecoration during viewing.

When we arrived the kitchen was not finished properly and the general standard of painting is truly poor around the house. The shower is not working properly and constantly going hot and cold. When we asked our landlord if he could have a look for us we were met with a response that it was fine for him on one setting and will not be looking at it. Also they have only just had a gas safety certificate done and the epc, a couple of months after we have moved in.

We are so disappointed with the landlords attitude. We have alsways had really good experiences renting but feel that this has turned out to be a bad experience.

Is there any way out of this on the above grounds. We certainly do not want to be renting from someone who clearly has no interest in us as tenants. We have been polite and courteous throughout but are hitting a wall and just want to go.

Thoughts?

Many thanks
Page 1
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 7th Aug 18, 12:29 PM
    • 3,754 Posts
    • 3,566 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:29 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:29 PM
    Hi all.

We recently moved in to a property that has been recently re decorated and was in the process of redecoration during viewing.

When we arrived the kitchen was not finished properly and the general standard of painting is truly poor around the house. The shower is not working properly and constantly going hot and cold. When we asked our landlord if he could have a look for us we were met with a response that it was fine for him on one setting and will not be looking at it. Also they have only just had a gas safety certificate done and the epc, a couple of months after we have moved in.

We are so disappointed with the landlords attitude. We have alsways had really good experiences renting but feel that this has turned out to be a bad experience.

Is there any way out of this on the above grounds. We certainly do not want to be renting from someone who clearly has no interest in us as tenants. We have been polite and courteous throughout but are hitting a wall and just want to go.

Thoughts?

Many thanks
    Originally posted by Jazzyblunt
    If you're asking to leave early, the answer is no. Legally you do not have that unilateral right. (well you can leave, but liability remains)

That said the landlord has shafted himself somewhat, has your deposit been protected (within 30 days of payment)?
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 7th Aug 18, 12:33 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 302 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:33 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:33 PM
    Did changing to the shower setting the landlord suggested help? I would push for the shower to be fixed, but I don't think any of what you described could be used to get out of the contract.

Is it 12 month fixed term? Is there a break clause?
    • Zebedy83
    • By Zebedy83 7th Aug 18, 12:49 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Zebedy83
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:49 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:49 PM
    Yes the deposit has been protected.
    • Zebedy83
    • By Zebedy83 7th Aug 18, 12:52 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Zebedy83
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:52 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:52 PM
    The shower setting as suggested by the landlord is far too hot as soon as you change it goes scoulding hot then cold. Tenancy is a year. Itís a real nightmare all we want to do is have a shower after work. He has said because there is a bath he does not have to legally do anything about the shower! Quite a poor stance I think
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 7th Aug 18, 12:55 PM
    • 3,754 Posts
    • 3,566 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:55 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:55 PM
    The shower setting as suggested by the landlord is far too hot as soon as you change it goes scoulding hot then cold. Tenancy is a year. Itís a real nightmare all we want to do is have a shower after work. He has said because there is a bath he does not have to legally do anything about the shower! Quite a poor stance I think

All he must do is provide facilities for washing. So he is legally correct.

Nothing stopping you getting the shower repaired - I'd suggest it's a fairly simple job from what you describe - no more than £100
    • Zebedy83
    • By Zebedy83 7th Aug 18, 1:02 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Zebedy83
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:02 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:02 PM
    It may well be legal from his stance but morally a poor choice to be taking when he has good tenants. I don!!!8217;t see why I should pay to fix his shower when it was a selling point for us to move in in the first place.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 7th Aug 18, 1:09 PM
    • 3,754 Posts
    • 3,566 Thanks
    Comms69
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:09 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:09 PM
    It may well be legal from his stance but morally a poor choice to be taking when he has good tenants. I don!!!8217;t see why I should pay to fix his shower when it was a selling point for us to move in in the first place.

Your morals are irrelevant. Sorry.

But by all means don't pay. Nose, face, spite....
    • macman
    • By macman 7th Aug 18, 1:18 PM
    • 42,341 Posts
    • 17,709 Thanks
    macman
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:18 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:18 PM
    The LL has committed a serious criminal offence by not supplying a gas safety cert on the day you moved into the property: this gives you considerable negotiating power, as it can result in an unlimited fine or imprisonment.
    Perhaps you've been too courteous and polite, now it's time to change your tactics?
    Sounds like the shower simply needs a new 'stat: a very simple DIY job and if you can DIY it should be no more than £50?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Zebedy83
    • By Zebedy83 7th Aug 18, 1:20 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Zebedy83
    Fair enough if that the stance of a decent landlord I will cut of my nose. I really can!!!8217;t understand the logic. If I had a tenant that had a problem I would be straight on it. I guess some people don!!!8217;t give a hoot as long as they are taking the money.
    • letitbe90
    • By letitbe90 7th Aug 18, 1:20 PM
    • 85 Posts
    • 95 Thanks
    letitbe90
    Business and morales don't always get along unfortunately.
    • Zebedy83
    • By Zebedy83 7th Aug 18, 1:22 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Zebedy83
    Perhaps I will try a different approach and see where that takes me. Thanks
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 7th Aug 18, 1:23 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    need an answer
    You have a sloppy LL.

there is little you can do to persuade the LL to fix the shower other than not renew or stay any longer than the initial 12 month agreement.

Its not ideal for you to move again I assume however I also understand the frustration of not being able to communicate on a level with the LL in order to get the living environment you want...the only way sloppy LL's deal with things is usually between tenants so create the void they clearly need to address issues in the property!!

On a separate note did you receive a clear check in inventory potentially that highlighted the problems with the unfinished kitchen and poor painting...hopefully photos clearly point out the problems,or if they don't I hope you sent the inventory back documented with the issues as you saw them.

Going forward you need to ensure that you continue to advise the issue of the shower in writing.

Do you deal with the LL direct or is it through an agency?

Sometimes its easier to deal direct with the LL as they have more say over repairs but I guess if the issue is with the LL sticking to the principle of there are alternative facilities then there is little you can do except have fixed yourself or start looking for somewhere you can move to when the agreement is up.
    in S 34 T 54 F 56
    out S 51 T 52 F 56
    2017 -32
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 7th Aug 18, 1:23 PM
    • 3,754 Posts
    • 3,566 Thanks
    Comms69
    The LL has committed a serious criminal offence by not supplying a gas safety cert on the day you moved into the property: this gives you considerable negotiating power, as it can result in an unlimited fine or imprisonment.
    Perhaps you've been too courteous and polite, now it's time to change your tactics?
    Sounds like the shower simply needs a new 'stat: a very simple DIY job and if you can DIY it should be no more than £50?
    Originally posted by macman
    Im pretty sure the fine is upto £6,000 (no where near that amount in reality) or 6 months imprisonment (again that would not apply in these circumstances)
    • Zebedy83
    • By Zebedy83 7th Aug 18, 1:25 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Zebedy83
    It!!!8217;s such a shame that some people can be like this. Still ultimately yes it can be fixed but was just hoping for a more proactive response from the guy.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 7th Aug 18, 1:25 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    need an answer
    Originally posted by macman
    I did wonder about the GSC when I read the opening post,however it doesn't say that the certificate wasn't in place it just says that one was issued some months later,this could just be that the certificate renewal date isn't aligned with the start of this tenancy.

OP could you confirm if you were given a copy of the valid certificate when you moved in
    or not?
    in S 34 T 54 F 56
    out S 51 T 52 F 56
    2017 -32
    • Zebedy83
    • By Zebedy83 7th Aug 18, 1:27 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Zebedy83
    Hi no inventory, no gas safe certification, no epc on arrival. It!!!8217;s a private rental. Thanks
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 7th Aug 18, 1:29 PM
    • 3,754 Posts
    • 3,566 Thanks
    Comms69
    Hi no inventory, no gas safe certification, no epc on arrival. It!!!8217;s a private rental. Thanks

Inventory is irrelevant, it benefits your landlord, not you.

You can report the lack of GSC to HSE, but that doesn't end your tenancy. In reality it wont be investigated, there is now a GSC in place.

Lack of EPC is not really that important in the grand scheme. It can affect any s.21 being issued, but since you want to leave anyway it's largely irrelevant.
    • need an answer
    • By need an answer 7th Aug 18, 1:33 PM
    • 943 Posts
    • 1,147 Thanks
    need an answer
    The lack of an inventory is not irrelevant.
    It does however mean that in the absence of one you should have little difficulty getting your full deposit back as there is no start point to compare an end point to.

So I would say that's in your favour now rather than the LL's
    in S 34 T 54 F 56
    out S 51 T 52 F 56
    2017 -32
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 7th Aug 18, 1:37 PM
    • 3,754 Posts
    • 3,566 Thanks
    Comms69
    The lack of an inventory is not irrelevant.
    It does however mean that in the absence of one you should have little difficulty getting your full deposit back as there is no start point to compare an end point to.

So I would say that's in your favour now rather than the LL's
    Originally posted by need an answer

1. thats' what I said...?

2. the landlord can take a visual inventory using a camera, so it doesn't mean anything really.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

54Posts Today

3,307Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin