Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • sujiconstantine
    • By sujiconstantine 7th Aug 18, 11:47 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 1Thanks
    sujiconstantine
    Build an extention using mine Neighbour's Garage
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:47 AM
    Build an extention using mine Neighbour's Garage 7th Aug 18 at 11:47 AM
    Hi,
    I wonder if someone can help... Me and my neighbour have adjoining garages and we are both keen on converting them to rooms. However, both garages are too narrow to convert them into two reasonable size rooms so we are wondering if we can do a double story extension using both garages and one of us will have access to the ground floor and the other to have access to the first floor.

Is it legally possible? will it cause any complications in the future?

Thanks
Page 1
    • dimbo61
    • By dimbo61 7th Aug 18, 11:53 AM
    • 9,957 Posts
    • 5,372 Thanks
    dimbo61
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:53 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:53 AM
    Sorry total nightmare when either of you come to sell.
    • Cakeguts
    • By Cakeguts 7th Aug 18, 11:54 AM
    • 4,655 Posts
    • 6,714 Thanks
    Cakeguts
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:54 AM
    Do either of you have a mortgage?
    • ACG
    • By ACG 7th Aug 18, 11:54 AM
    • 17,287 Posts
    • 9,155 Thanks
    ACG
    Legally I would assume it is possible.
    If you have a Mortgage, you may find you struggle.
    I am not entirely sure how it would work in practice as you would probably need the garages/rooms to be leasehold.

From a practical perspective, trying to Mortgage a part freehold/part leasehold property (or selling them for that matter) is going to be a nightmare. I suppose you could convert both properties to leasehold but again, if you have a Mortgage i am not sure how that would work.

I would speak to a conveyancing solicitor initially and then to your Mortgage lenders. It might even be worth involving a surveyor to find out the repercussions it may have on the future value of the properties and whether it would affect getting a Mortgage.

Personally, I would move house if you need a bigger property as there are a lot of potential issues.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • fairy lights
    • By fairy lights 7th Aug 18, 11:58 AM
    • 8,592 Posts
    • 28,575 Thanks
    fairy lights
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:58 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:58 AM
    I can imagine a lot of future buyers being put off when you come to sell.
    Who would be responsible for the roof, or the foundations, or the drains if there's plumbing involved?
    • xylophone
    • By xylophone 7th Aug 18, 12:02 PM
    • 26,078 Posts
    • 15,445 Thanks
    xylophone
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:02 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:02 PM
    so we are wondering if we can do a double story extension using both garages and one of us will have access to the ground floor and the other to have access to the first floor.
    Would you end up with a "flying freehold" situation?
    • G_M
    • By G_M 7th Aug 18, 12:09 PM
    • 44,919 Posts
    • 53,522 Thanks
    G_M
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:09 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:09 PM
    Would you end up with a "flying freehold" situation?
    Originally posted by xylophone
    Yes OP would end up with a Flying Freehold.

Google/DuckDuckGo it.

It's legally possible. You'd need a Deed to be Executed that would grant each of you specific rights and responsibilities over the 'shared' area. This would specify, for example, access rights, as well as maintenance liabilities.

The Deed would need to be registered against both your properties.

Many mortgage lenders refuse to lend against properties with Flying Freeholds (or where the FF covers an area greater than x% of the property). So selling could become harder as buyers struggle to find a mortgage.

If either of you have a current mortage, you/they would need your/their lender's consent to set this up (which is likely to be declined as it is a FF - you can but ask).
    Last edited by G_M; 07-08-2018 at 12:12 PM.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 7th Aug 18, 12:43 PM
    • 20,676 Posts
    • 16,481 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:43 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:43 PM
    Is it only the garages that are joined, and is there space behind them? If so could you convert both garages to one room for one property and build a second room the same size behind the garages for the other property? There would still need to be some changes made to who owns what bits of land but crucially there would be no flying freehold.
    • D_M_E
    • By D_M_E 7th Aug 18, 1:30 PM
    • 1,659 Posts
    • 63,736 Thanks
    D_M_E
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:30 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:30 PM
    As well as the points raised above, the garages may have to be knocked down and new load-bearing walls put in place to support the proposed build which may be an added unexpected expense.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 7th Aug 18, 2:24 PM
    • 10,882 Posts
    • 9,177 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    If this changed 2 semi detached houses into 2 terraced houses then planning permission would probably not me granted. In any case it's a nightmare scenario and is definitely not recommended.
    • vw100
    • By vw100 7th Aug 18, 2:34 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 75 Thanks
    vw100
    You may even lose value on the home. Best avoided
    • sujiconstantine
    • By sujiconstantine 9th Aug 18, 4:19 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    sujiconstantine
    thank you to everyone for your valuable comments. I shall pass these to my neighbour and see what he says.
    • ProDave
    • By ProDave 9th Aug 18, 5:05 PM
    • 972 Posts
    • 1,092 Thanks
    ProDave
    If this changed 2 semi detached houses into 2 terraced houses then planning permission would probably not me granted. In any case it's a nightmare scenario and is definitely not recommended.
    Originally posted by lincroft1710
    And if it was allowed, it would devalue both houses.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

380Posts Today

4,432Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin