Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • omnomnom
    • By omnomnom 7th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    omnomnom
    Sick with worry. Universal credit help
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:36 AM
    Sick with worry. Universal credit help 7th Aug 18 at 11:36 AM
    Morning,

I'm sorry my first post is for and not to give advice but I am worried sick at the moment. Ill try to keep it brief.

Basically my wife and I were having a few issues last year largely based around money as she was a full time student and my wage was being stretched. This resulted in us splitting. She stayed where she was in the family home with my two children and I moved out into a little apartment. I get paid into my own acc but still pay money into the joint acc as well its still my house and my children are there. I'm up there often, they are my children after all...

She started claiming UC pretty much straight away as she has no income and an increased bursary (student nurse) all of which was declared with various people and they confirmed she was entitled to it. 6 months down the line she goes on a girly holiday to Majorca, stuff happened with someone (nothing intimate more a connection) and it made her guilty...to the point where she says she thinks we rushed the separation and maybe we should give it a go.

Excellent I thought...

However now im panicking that she's falsely claimed (I haven't claimed anything). From what im reading we should split permanently however this was always the case until recently. I am a worrier so I am now worried about the future of my children etc...its making me sick to be honest.

Did she falsely claim?

Thank You.
Page 1
    • Discodee
    • By Discodee 7th Aug 18, 11:58 AM
    • 1,930 Posts
    • 2,959 Thanks
    Discodee
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:58 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:58 AM
    I dont think she falsely claimed at all. if you split up and moved out, she was entitled to it. if you mov e back in, just ring them and inform them you have decided to make a go of it and are moving back in on such a date. I am a worrier too so I understand, but shes hardly been claiming for 2 years whilst youre living under her roof. Just make sure you inform them if you move back in. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you all. And maybe no more individual holidays! Go together! xx
    I can be brown I can be blue I can be violet and sky. I can be hurtful I can be purple I can be anything you like..Gotta be green gotta be mean gotta be everything more...
    • omnomnom
    • By omnomnom 7th Aug 18, 12:54 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    omnomnom
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:54 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:54 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I think she'll be fine and I don't know why im worrying about it...anything that could have an impact on my kids is a killer for me.

Nothings finalised yet and I don't expect it to be for a few months tbh but lets see. You've put my mind at rest though so thank you.
    • Ineededaname
    • By Ineededaname 7th Aug 18, 1:15 PM
    • 111 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    Ineededaname
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:15 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:15 PM
    If you've got a separate address, tenancy agreement and have been making rental payments then that's easy proof you weren't living together for the duration of her claim?

Im assuming you own the house? So you pay your share of the mortgage and help support the kids? None of which seems unreasonable.

Just make sure that when you do move back in she declares that.
    • omnomnom
    • By omnomnom 7th Aug 18, 2:28 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    omnomnom
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:28 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 2:28 PM
    Hi,

Yea council tax, tenancy etc. I put a lot of my wage in the "joint" acc as ive never got round to moving it all but I have an interest in the house and obviously my children.

Thanks for all the help.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,640Posts Today

6,681Users online

Martin's Twitter