Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • jade341fg
    • By jade341fg 7th Aug 18, 11:21 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    jade341fg
    House Alarms With a Cat
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:21 AM
    House Alarms With a Cat 7th Aug 18 at 11:21 AM
    Hi all

First poster here

I am currently trying to find a house alarm which does the following things, does anybody have any tips/advice on how to go about this? I've tried an abundance of searches in Amazon, eBay and Google but I just can't find what I want:
    • Not be triggered by a house cat
    • Have something which tells us if a door is opened and sends an alarm to our phone/app - this could be a notification on an app or phone call etc. but we must be able to see if the door has been opened
    • Ideally not make noise (it might scare the cat)
    • Be under 1,000
    • Not have a subscription fee

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Page 1
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 7th Aug 18, 11:48 AM
    • 8,640 Posts
    • 9,854 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:48 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:48 AM
    There are 'pet friendly' PIR detectors but depending on the athletic abilities of your cat you might not trust them not to activate.

You can have magnetic contact detectors on doors or windows instead of PIRs.

Any alarm should be able to be set to be silent.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • jade341fg
    • By jade341fg 7th Aug 18, 11:52 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    jade341fg
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:52 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:52 AM
    There are 'pet friendly' PIR detectors but depending on the athletic abilities of your cat you might not trust them not to activate.

You can have magnetic contact detectors on doors or windows instead of PIRs.

Any alarm should be able to be set to be silent.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    Do any of these send an alert to your phone?
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 7th Aug 18, 12:06 PM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 1,514 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:06 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:06 PM
    Most DIY systems offer text alerts these days; you simply want to avoid placing any PIRs in rooms the cat might occupy.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 7th Aug 18, 12:12 PM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 3,163 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:12 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:12 PM
    I bought a Yale system. I got the 250 one that comes with two PIRs and one door sensor and bought two extra door sensors for it. We alarm the whole set-up when we're out. Overnight, we part-arm it which is configured so that the PIRs are bypassed.

You could buy a basic Yale system (they do one with one PIR) and use the door sensors only. The alarm sounders can also be bypassed so you get the text alert but you lose the deterrent that is the loud alarm in the event of a break-in.

I'd get one of these and as many extra door sensors as you need to cover all external doors.

https://www.safe.co.uk/products/yale-smart-home-alarm-kit-SR-320.html?ACODE=googlebase&gclid=CjwKCAjwhqXbBRAREi wAucoo-wAoxUfHYYF4Pyhe7DXaLfxnAyY9n1prLMPxAO89Lrg-DeQ76Fp25BoCmHoQAvD_BwE

You could sell the PIRs if you aren't going to use them, or perhaps they could be put in a room that might be an entry point through a window and where the cat doesn't go, such as an upstairs bathroom with a door that you can keep shut when you're out.
    Last edited by Aylesbury Duck; 07-08-2018 at 12:15 PM.
    • Slinky
    • By Slinky 7th Aug 18, 1:02 PM
    • 5,511 Posts
    • 25,881 Thanks
    Slinky
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:02 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:02 PM
    We have pet friendly PIRs and a cat. It really doesn't matter about the athletic ability of your pet. We've never had our cat trigger the alarm. We have some of these (although the blue light is bl**dy annoying and I got the alarm service guy to disable the one in my office) and they ignore pets below 24kg. We have some older ones where the light is smaller and red and is much less intrusive.

https://www.midselec.co.uk/pyronix-wired-10m-pet-tolerant-detector.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMImeysi_La3AIVRbvtCh 2JOwh_EAYYBCABEgLmHvD_BwE
    • jcb208
    • By jcb208 7th Aug 18, 8:39 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    jcb208
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:39 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:39 PM
    There are many pet friendly PIR's for use with wired or wireless we use these without any problems from our cats triggering them
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 7th Aug 18, 8:49 PM
    • 2,647 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:49 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:49 PM
    We've got a Visonic Powermax Complete with pet friendly PIR sensors, we bought additional PIR's and door protection for the outbuildings too, think it cost about 450 in total (I fitted it with a friend who has security installation experience), took us an afternoon
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

617Posts Today

5,973Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • May I state with absolute authority and conviction that my poll is worthless. It never purports to be of worth - w? https://t.co/acXRTGUH4z

• RT @BBCkatyaadler: Importent to remember in all furore over possibly extending transition that there will be no transition period at all if?

• Today?s poll: If the only leave option is a NO-DEAL Brexit. Would you then support a ?People?s Vote? to decide if? https://t.co/AxswLUSNPJ

• Follow Martin