Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • nxdmsandkaskdjaqd
    • By nxdmsandkaskdjaqd 7th Aug 18, 10:13 AM
    • 522Posts
    • 55Thanks
    nxdmsandkaskdjaqd
    Horse Manure - during growing season
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:13 AM
    Horse Manure - during growing season 7th Aug 18 at 10:13 AM
    I have been growing runner beans in the same vegetable patch for some years. This year they were not doing well, so I have been adding some horse manure to the ground during the growing season to improve the soil condition (seams to have worked well). I just wondered if this was OK to do? (i.e no health implications).
Page 1
    • Grenage
    • By Grenage 7th Aug 18, 11:10 AM
    • 1,593 Posts
    • 1,517 Thanks
    Grenage
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:10 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:10 AM
    I can't imagine so, especially as the beans are going to be well away from the manure.
    • Dizzy Ditzy
    • By Dizzy Ditzy 8th Aug 18, 12:44 PM
    • 16,864 Posts
    • 282,444 Thanks
    Dizzy Ditzy
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:44 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:44 PM
    You may find that your beans are struggling this year because of the weather - everyone i know who has grown runner beans this year has struggled
    I'm a board guide on Quick Grabbit while you can, Marriage, Relationships and Families, Health & Beauty Moneysaving, Greenfingered Moneysaving, Praise, Vents and Warnings, Consumer Rights and Sports & Fitness Moneysaving boards.

I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are purely my own and are not those of Moneysavingexpert.com. I am a board guide and not a moderator and as such do not read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post please report it to forum@moneysavingexpert.com

I used to be a queen, now I'm just me...
    • greyteam1959
    • By greyteam1959 9th Aug 18, 8:49 AM
    • 2,447 Posts
    • 1,126 Thanks
    greyteam1959
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:49 AM
    • 9th Aug 18, 8:49 AM
    My runner & climbing beans are doing very well but I have them on an automatic irrigation system.
    Horse manure........never ever again using it in my garden.
    I dug it into my outdoor beds about 10 years ago, lovely stuff it was.
    But then the nettles started growing !!!
    They are still germination now after all that time......grrrrrrrrr.
    • Blackjack Davy
    • By Blackjack Davy 12th Aug 18, 2:50 PM
    • 508 Posts
    • 272 Thanks
    Blackjack Davy
    • 12th Aug 18, 2:50 PM
    • 12th Aug 18, 2:50 PM
    They need plenty of muck dug in before they're planted and give them a feed afterwards they have a high need for moisture and nitrogen

Its been a fantastic year for climbing beans (french beans) but the runners need very regular watering, even the climbing beans have been suffering from red spider mite though (very dry air).

Got almost half a freezer full of runners so far, goodness knows what the water bill will be like though...
    Blessed are the geeks, for they shall inherit the Internet.
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 16th Aug 18, 4:52 PM
    • 8,351 Posts
    • 29,343 Thanks
    Primrose
    • 16th Aug 18, 4:52 PM
    • 16th Aug 18, 4:52 PM
    I think your beans are more likely to have suffered from the heat and lack of rain than any manure. Hopefully though manure was old and mature and not fresh as that wouldn't have done the beans any good at all
    • crv1963
    • By crv1963 16th Aug 18, 5:59 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 1,054 Thanks
    crv1963
    • 16th Aug 18, 5:59 PM
    • 16th Aug 18, 5:59 PM
    I generally put six inches of well rotted horse manure over my flower borders in the autumn, after I've trimmed plants back, giving the winter to let it get into the soil, the plants love it, although I do agree you get a few nettles but I haven't found that a problem yet! The bulbs just come through it.

I read somewhere about feed the soil, stop worrying about the plants they'll just reap the rewards. Many plants have suffered in the nice weather- hungry and thirsty plants more so. I think the answer might be dig a lot maybe a sack full of manure per square yard/ metre where you intend to put the runners, or as someone I know does cut this years down to 6 inches and cover with a foot of manure- they survive and thrive most winters and if they don't the bed is ready for the next lot! He never rotates his runner bean bed!
    CRV1963- Light bulb moment Sept 15- Planning the great escape- aka retirement!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

132Posts Today

1,145Users online

Martin's Twitter