Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ian103
    • By ian103 7th Aug 18, 9:42 AM
    • 862Posts
    • 379Thanks
    ian103
    New laptop / all in one computer
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:42 AM
    New laptop / all in one computer 7th Aug 18 at 9:42 AM
    I'm in the process of replacing my laptop an HP Pavilion 15, current spec is an i5 4200 1.6GHz, 8GB of RAM and 1TB harddrive.

I think the laptop was purchased late 2013 / early 2014. It was a PC World special offer.

Can any one recommend a laptop or all in one / supplier (never used ebuyer or AO but they seem to have some decent deals) I dont want to spend too much as its used for simple office applications / browsing the net / watching videos etc.
Page 2
    • ian103
    • By ian103 10th Aug 18, 11:28 AM
    • 862 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    ian103
    I'm tempted with a smaller laptop and going with the suggestion from almiller, of a laptop and a monitor, a monitor for on the desk, and a laptop for portability. I can then have a larger screen where required, the logic for a smaller screen is less weight, the poor handling is because i hold the laptop along the front edge when moving it around and this is what has caused the case to crack. Never done anything different with any of the laptops Ive had, this is the first one thats failed there (and I cant see an easy fix) so perhaps its a one off issue (i think the case is weak along the edges as theres numerous slots along the edges that weaken the case.

A further benefit of this is I could still use my current laptop for the monitor and leave it in a fixed position as its the moving it around thats causing the damage.
    Last edited by ian103; 10-08-2018 at 11:49 AM.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 10th Aug 18, 12:59 PM
    • 3,806 Posts
    • 1,834 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    That orchid Pink/Silver looks tempting (good size of memory and solid state drive and reasonable CPU). The 2 year warranty is excellent but John Lewis does tend to up the price to compensate.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 10th Aug 18, 1:34 PM
    • 1,037 Posts
    • 497 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I'm tempted with a smaller laptop and going with the suggestion from almiller, of a laptop and a monitor, a monitor for on the desk, and a laptop for portability. I can then have a larger screen where required, the logic for a smaller screen is less weight, the poor handling is because i hold the laptop along the front edge when moving it around and this is what has caused the case to crack. Never done anything different with any of the laptops Ive had, this is the first one thats failed there (and I cant see an easy fix) so perhaps its a one off issue (i think the case is weak along the edges as theres numerous slots along the edges that weaken the case.

A further benefit of this is I could still use my current laptop for the monitor and leave it in a fixed position as its the moving it around thats causing the damage.
    Originally posted by ian103
    This is why people are suggesting business quality laptops to you. HP Consumer aren't known for their build quality.
    • ian103
    • By ian103 10th Aug 18, 3:30 PM
    • 862 Posts
    • 379 Thanks
    ian103
    This is why people are suggesting business quality laptops to you. HP Consumer aren't known for their build quality.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere

Thanks, daft question - how can i differentiate between a business laptop and a 'consumer' laptop? by viewing on a website only
    Last edited by ian103; 10-08-2018 at 6:08 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,841Posts Today

7,922Users online

Martin's Twitter