Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • downshifter
    • By downshifter 7th Aug 18, 9:29 AM
    • 1,076Posts
    • 1,887Thanks
    downshifter
    Alternative to Thunderbird email recommendations please?
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:29 AM
    Alternative to Thunderbird email recommendations please? 7th Aug 18 at 9:29 AM
    I have very slow internet (upload is often 0.00 for example and download generally between 0.50 and 0.80 mbps and completely erratic and unstable!!) due to my location. Up to now I've used Thunderbird to manage my emails, I have 3 different gmail accounts so it makes it easy. However as my broadband seems to be getting progressively worse, thunderbird often tells me it's been unable to send an email. So I try to resend, only to find that the first one has actually gone and my recipients have received it twice.

Is there anything that would work better on a slow connection or should I resort to using the webmail version of Gmail which seems fine under these conditions?

Thanks for any advice

DS
Page 1
    • bengalknights
    • By bengalknights 7th Aug 18, 9:36 AM
    • 4,482 Posts
    • 1,640 Thanks
    bengalknights
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:36 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:36 AM
    Gmail online at basic setting or outlook (the free version)
    • psychic teabag
    • By psychic teabag 7th Aug 18, 10:02 AM
    • 2,731 Posts
    • 1,600 Thanks
    psychic teabag
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:02 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:02 AM
    I use a thing called "claws mail" - I think it's primarily linux, but looks like it's also available on windows. It's quite lightweight (compared to thunderbird, certainly) which is one motivation for me, since my pc is fairly old. It handles multiple accounts with ease.

I think it caches emails, which would help with your bandwidth problems.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 7th Aug 18, 12:17 PM
    • 1,523 Posts
    • 960 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:17 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:17 PM
    However as my broadband seems to be getting progressively worse, thunderbird often tells me it's been unable to send an email. So I try to resend, only to find that the first one has actually gone and my recipients have received it twice.
    Originally posted by downshifter
    I would suspect any email client would potentially have the same issue. The safest way would be through the website.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 7th Aug 18, 12:40 PM
    • 3,807 Posts
    • 1,835 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:40 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:40 PM
    I have 3 different gmail accounts
    Originally posted by downshifter
    Basic Gmail Web
    https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/h/1pq68r75kzvdr/?v%3Dlui
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,388Posts Today

6,143Users online

Martin's Twitter