Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 7th Aug 18, 8:21 AM
    • 1,731Posts
    • 1,012Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    0 WOW
    Reasonably priced places to eat easily accessible from Gatwick north terminal without a car?
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:21 AM
    0 WOW
    Reasonably priced places to eat easily accessible from Gatwick north terminal without a car? 7th Aug 18 at 8:21 AM
    We travel by train to Gatwick Airport next Monday and have an overnight stay at the Premier Inn North terminal and we are looking for somewhere to get a meal, nothing fancy, MacDonalds or similar will do, I know the Premier Inn has a restaurant but don't really want to be spending £40 or £50 on food (2 adults and a 15 year old) that would cost us £25-£30 for the equivalent at my local pub. We are not interested in ready made sandwich meal deals from Boots or M&S. Bear in mind we will be on foot and my other half is unable to walk very far. It looks like MacDonalds would be a case of getting the monorail back to the south terminal and then about a 200mtr walk but I'm not sure if it's accessible on foot.
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
Page 2
    • lindens
    • By lindens 7th Aug 18, 12:48 PM
    • 2,198 Posts
    • 7,075 Thanks
    lindens
    I doubt it, and definitely not delivered to your room as you need a key card to access the accommodation areas.
    Originally posted by PompeyPete
    you wait outside in the hotel car park for it
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    • lindens
    • By lindens 7th Aug 18, 12:50 PM
    • 2,198 Posts
    • 7,075 Thanks
    lindens
    Yep that's what I thought, plus takaways probably wouldn't deliver to airports due to the strict parking rules.
    Originally posted by interstellaflyer
    is the premier inn inside the airport then? i've never been sorry
    You're not your * could have not of * Debt not dept *
    • unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 7th Aug 18, 1:22 PM
    • 3,023 Posts
    • 3,956 Thanks
    unforeseen
    I doubt it, and definitely not delivered to your room as you need a key card to access the accommodation areas.
    I've stayed in a hotel where they will provide plates & knives and forks when you order a takeaway. They even have the menus behind reception.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 7th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 5,955 Posts
    • 8,478 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    I've stayed in a hotel where they will provide plates & knives and forks when you order a takeaway. They even have the menus behind reception.
    Originally posted by unforeseen
    Yeah, but the OP is on about a specific hotel......Premier Inn Gatwick North. They want to flog their own meals, which aren't bad vfm, not provide knives, forks and plates for take-aways.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 7th Aug 18, 1:32 PM
    • 5,955 Posts
    • 8,478 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    you wait outside in the hotel car park for it
    Originally posted by lindens
    No thanks.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 7th Aug 18, 1:35 PM
    • 5,955 Posts
    • 8,478 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Yep, it's right opposite the main North Terminal Building, a minute or two walk from the free airport train shuttle to South Terminal and mailine train station. Usually vgvfm.
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 7th Aug 18, 1:53 PM
    • 1,731 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    All you have to do is cross the road and you are there, 2 or 3 mins from check in desks
    I hate football and do wish people wouldn't keep talking about it like it's the most important thing in the world
    • ibizafan
    • By ibizafan 7th Aug 18, 2:57 PM
    • 754 Posts
    • 913 Thanks
    ibizafan
    We always count the meal at the Premier Inns at Heathrow and Gatwick as part of our holiday. Itís nice and relaxing to just stay in the hotel before an early departure, and we would not bother to go out looking for other places just to save a few quid, which might not be the case anyway. The Premier Inn Thyme restaurants have a reasonable selection of prices and food. Their sharing platter starters might be enough unless you want a full blown meal. Sharing a takeaway sitting on a bed wouldnít appeal to be honest.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 7th Aug 18, 3:06 PM
    • 5,955 Posts
    • 8,478 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    We always count the meal at the Premier Inns at Heathrow and Gatwick as part of our holiday. Itís nice and relaxing to just stay in the hotel before an early departure, and we would not bother to go out looking for other places just to save a few quid, which might not be the case anyway. The Premier Inn Thyme restaurants have a reasonable selection of prices and food. Their sharing platter starters might be enough unless you want a full blown meal. Sharing a takeaway sitting on a bed wouldnít appeal to be honest.
    Originally posted by ibizafan
    It can be quite manic sometimes, big groups, boisterous children, and the like, which might take the edge off an enjoyable, relaxing meal.
    • interstellaflyer
    • By interstellaflyer 7th Aug 18, 3:49 PM
    • 1,731 Posts
    • 1,012 Thanks
    interstellaflyer
    We always count the meal at the Premier Inns at Heathrow and Gatwick as part of our holiday. It!!!8217;s nice and relaxing to just stay in the hotel before an early departure, and we would not bother to go out looking for other places just to save a few quid, which might not be the case anyway. The Premier Inn Thyme restaurants have a reasonable selection of prices and food. Their sharing platter starters might be enough unless you want a full blown meal. Sharing a takeaway sitting on a bed wouldn!!!8217;t appeal to be honest.
    Originally posted by ibizafan
    I agree and that!!!8217;s what we would normally do and we would normally only do an overnight stay for an early flight, however, our flight is at 4:50 in the afternoon so we also have time to kill before our flight so I!!!8217;m just being tight and trying to save some money.
    Last edited by interstellaflyer; 07-08-2018 at 6:06 PM.
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 7th Aug 18, 4:42 PM
    • 4,985 Posts
    • 4,118 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    I regularly stop at the Premier Inn North Terminal - it's by far the best value and most convenient hotel at the airport.

The eating and drinking options nearby are fairly limited so I usually jump on a train to Horley, Crawley or Three Bridges were there are a selection pubs and other places to eat within walking distance of the stations. Of the three Crawley has the most options but is furthest away. I suppose you could eat in the Premier Inn but it's nice to get out of the hotel to stretch your legs.
    • the gardener
    • By the gardener 7th Aug 18, 4:50 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    the gardener
    There are local buses from Gatwick also the trains to horley are available on contactless/oyster although paper return tickets are similar. Look on the tfl website. We want it all ............ cheap food and cheap flights
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 7th Aug 18, 4:59 PM
    • 5,955 Posts
    • 8,478 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    There are local buses from Gatwick also the trains to horley are available on contactless/oyster although paper return tickets are similar. Look on the tfl website. We want it all ............ cheap food and cheap flights
    Originally posted by the gardener
    Metrobus service No.100 is alright. But if it's cold it ain't much fun hanging around for a bus to turn up.....none for ages, then 3 turn-up...

https://www.metrobus.co.uk/route-information/100
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 7th Aug 18, 7:11 PM
    • 4,985 Posts
    • 4,118 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    It can be quite manic sometimes, big groups, boisterous children, and the like, which might take the edge off an enjoyable, relaxing meal.
    Yes, I like the North Terminal Premier Inn for value and convenience but the bar/restaurant area can get very busy and sometimes feels like feeding time at the zoo. I prefer to eat elsewhere then come back to the hotel for a nightcap before bed.

Another tip for the hotel is to try to get a room on one of the lower floors. The lifts take forever to arrive so it can be quicker to use the stairs.
    • stevenhp1987
    • By stevenhp1987 7th Aug 18, 7:54 PM
    • 709 Posts
    • 551 Thanks
    stevenhp1987
    Do hotels allow this?
    I've had takeaways delivered to hotels many times without problems. Not once have I, or the hotel, ever questioned it.

Most of the time I have to go to reception to collect it though as they might not have access to the rooms, some hotels just let them through.
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 7th Aug 18, 8:23 PM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 5,567 Thanks
    Fen1
    Just outside Gatwick North is Hookwood village. Huge Tesco with a fancy cafe. I'm not sure if there is a bus there, but you could get a 5 minute taxi ride. It's actually walkable from the hotel, but will be too far for your OH.

https://www.tesco.com/store-locator/uk/?bID=2560&sccmp=refyg*stc2560&utm_source=yext-_google&utm_campaign=2560&utm_medium=organic

Further out from the village there's a nice pub: https://www.blackhorsehookwood.co.uk

Give them a ring to find out if there's a bus, or if they could recommend a local - not airport - taxi. A local taxi would be cheaper.
    • Fen1
    • By Fen1 7th Aug 18, 8:38 PM
    • 1,439 Posts
    • 5,567 Thanks
    Fen1
    There's also a McD on the ring road , just beyond the Gatwick South train station and Hilton (?) hotel.

https://www.mcdonalds.com/gb/en-gb/restaurant-locator.html?submit=true&radiusSelected=5&searchTe xt=Gatwick
    • Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 7th Aug 18, 8:44 PM
    • 10,778 Posts
    • 11,169 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    It looks like MacDonalds would be a case of getting the monorail back to the south terminal and then about a 200mtr walk but I'm not sure if it's accessible on foot.
    Yes, the McDs is just a normal roadside outlet, with normal prices. It's not far, but it is on the wrong side of the Ring Road, with no crossing.

Giraffe claims to be before security at the South Terminal.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 7th Aug 18, 8:53 PM
    • 4,985 Posts
    • 4,118 Thanks
    Doshwaster
    I've had takeaways delivered to hotels many times without problems. Not once have I, or the hotel, ever questioned it.

Most of the time I have to go to reception to collect it though as they might not have access to the rooms, some hotels just let them through.
    Originally posted by stevenhp1987
    I've even known hotels have the menus from local takeaways in their rooms though the only time I have done in myself was when I was stuck in a hotel in the US in the middle of a snowstorm. The delivery guy earned his tip.
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 8th Aug 18, 5:42 AM
    • 5,955 Posts
    • 8,478 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    Yes, I like the North Terminal Premier Inn for value and convenience but the bar/restaurant area can get very busy and sometimes feels like feeding time at the zoo. I prefer to eat elsewhere then come back to the hotel for a nightcap before bed.

Another tip for the hotel is to try to get a room on one of the lower floors. The lifts take forever to arrive so it can be quicker to use the stairs.
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    10th Floor for us. There's a remote lift through a door just to the right hand side of the restaurant, a lot less people use it because they don't know about it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

140Posts Today

1,517Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Lovely package on #newsnight just now about Brexit hitchhiking, livened up what has been not the most exciting show.

• Is this is a serious tweet or a joke? Why did I mention he was a cyclist - because he was a cyclist. Eh? https://t.co/F1SP7UJZkH

• How awful Mark. This is why those people who take risks on the road, have to realise while they think they're gamb? https://t.co/berU23vQOU

• Follow Martin