Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • abo999
    • By abo999 7th Aug 18, 7:33 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    abo999
    Capital One PPI claim rejected - advice on next action needed
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:33 AM
    Capital One PPI claim rejected - advice on next action needed 7th Aug 18 at 7:33 AM
    I've initiated a claim against Capital One for misselling PPI to me back in 2002. They have responded, rejecting my claim saying I have already made a claim back in 2009.

I have no recollection of this; the first PPI claim I made against anyone was with my mortgage company back in 2012.

I did make successful claims against my bank and credit cards for unfair charges years ago, could this by muddying the waters?

Anyway, I definitely did have PPI with Capital One, I'd like it back and I'm certain I have made no such claim against them in the past. How should proceed with this?
Page 1
    • amersall
    • By amersall 7th Aug 18, 7:39 AM
    • 15,270 Posts
    • 18,868 Thanks
    amersall
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:39 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:39 AM
    Ask them for the proof of this, as it was 9 years ago it is possible you either, made a claim for mis sell, or you actually made a claim on the insurance.
    You won't know until you ask for the proof.

• Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 7th Aug 18, 9:58 AM
    • 5,251 Posts
    • 3,183 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:58 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:58 AM
    You need to be more specific here - do you mean you CLAIMED on the policy e.g. lost your job and needed the insurance to cover you or COMPLAINED about the policy being miss-sold?

If you complained (or took an action which might be construed as complaining) in 2009 they are entitled to time bar the complaint and you cannot get around it.

No-one just gets money back by the way, you complain you were miss-sold and provide your reasons for why this is the case and see what happens.

Complaints about bank charges are unconnected though if they believed you were complaining about all charges on the account then they may well have looked at them both at the time
    • abo999
    • By abo999 7th Aug 18, 10:14 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    abo999
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:14 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:14 AM
    Sorry; I can see that I used the wrong terminology... I meant: I initiated a complaint against Capital One, and they are saying that I'd already complained previously, which was looked into in 2009. I've no recollection about making such a complaint.

I've never actually claimed on any of the PPI cover I'd been sold, as either through employment, redundancy payments or sickness benefit I've never needed to.

I'll give them a call and see what they say.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 7th Aug 18, 10:33 AM
    • 5,251 Posts
    • 3,183 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:33 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:33 AM
    If they have a record of a complaint from you which they rejected or closed due to inactivity then it is well over the 3 year rule which can be used to time bar the complaint and it will not progress any further. They only need to show the complaint was initiated and provide proof of sending you the letters
    • abo999
    • By abo999 7th Aug 18, 12:16 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    abo999
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:16 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:16 PM
    Ok, I called Capital One, and they confirmed over the phone they had not received any previous PPI complaint, and suggested I go ahead and make a fresh complaint via their website which I have done.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 7th Aug 18, 12:53 PM
    • 5,251 Posts
    • 3,183 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:53 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:53 PM
    Hopefully they will let you proceed with the complaint then. Let us know how it goes
    • amersall
    • By amersall 7th Aug 18, 1:48 PM
    • 15,270 Posts
    • 18,868 Thanks
    amersall
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:48 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:48 PM
    Fingers crossed.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,209Posts Today

5,027Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin