Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • london_waaliyah
    • By london_waaliyah 6th Aug 18, 11:03 PM
    • 8Posts
    • 0Thanks
    london_waaliyah
    LLYODS is closing my account in 60 days... will I lose my other bank accounts with Barclays etc?
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:03 PM
    LLYODS is closing my account in 60 days... will I lose my other bank accounts with Barclays etc? 6th Aug 18 at 11:03 PM
    Hello,

I have basic bank accounts with Santander llyods and Barclays.

Someone tried to use my llyods account for fraud, and I was told to withdraw laundered money but I refused and the funds are still in the llyods account which has been reviewed and the descsion has been made to close in 60 days

I am petrified that I am going to lose all of my accounts after reading about cigars markers and although I didnít take any money or withdraw any the laundered money on my account is going to cause me problems. It has been two weeks since then and I was wondering if I did have a cicada marker, would that appear after the 60 days or straight away? Would I have already lost all of my accounts or will I lose them in 60 days? Iím waiting in impending doom. I still have my Barclays and Santander for now and I need these as anyone does to make money and live... can anyone advise me?

Thnks
Page 1
    • london_waaliyah
    • By london_waaliyah 6th Aug 18, 11:05 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    london_waaliyah
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:05 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:05 PM
    I meant cifas marker. Damn autocorrect
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 6th Aug 18, 11:12 PM
    • 25,365 Posts
    • 12,587 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:12 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:12 PM
    Did you contact Lloyds to advise them that the funds were not yours?

It is impossible to say what the other banks might do.

Can I ask why you need 3 basic accounts?
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • london_waaliyah
    • By london_waaliyah 6th Aug 18, 11:17 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    london_waaliyah
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:17 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:17 PM
    I had a DRO last year so I opened a Santander basic account, I already had a Barclays one and Iím not really sure why I opened a llyods one. Iím afraid if I tell them the money isnít mine I will be incriminating myself so I just reported the card as stolen instead because I am terrorfied of them asking questions, they said I would need to go into the branch if I wanted to discuss anything and they cannot give any information about why theyíre closing the account
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 7th Aug 18, 12:00 AM
    • 25,365 Posts
    • 12,587 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:00 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:00 AM
    I had a DRO last year so I opened a Santander basic account, I already had a Barclays one and Iím not really sure why I opened a llyods one. Iím afraid if I tell them the money isnít mine I will be incriminating myself so I just reported the card as stolen instead because I am terrorfied of them asking questions, they said I would need to go into the branch if I wanted to discuss anything and they cannot give any information about why theyíre closing the account
    Originally posted by london_waaliyah
    Well your actions or lack of them have left you in the doo doo.
    • sparkey1
    • By sparkey1 7th Aug 18, 8:59 AM
    • 439 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    sparkey1
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:59 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:59 AM
    How did the other persons money get into your account? Did you give them your details. Has money been placed in your account before, or is this the first time. Is it money from someone you dont know? How did it occur?

I suspect from your answers so far you are probably being used as a mule. A mule is someone that assists a fraudster by allowing them to launder money through your account. They have probably tracked the money that was probably scammed from someone through a number of accounts.

See https://www.actionfraud.police.uk/fraud-az-money-muling

Im sure your probably didnt understand what you were doing, and probably wont be prosecuted if an insignificant amount, but your best bet is probably to try and put things right by contacting action fraud, and your bank.

Apologies if I have totally misunderstood your situation, but you did say that you lied to them by telling them you lost your cards, instead of admitting that the money wasn't yours. If I am right, yes, you can expect a CIFAS marker against your name. It might even be there already, but you might not be able to see it if you are using the free credit reports which are about 6 weeks behind.

Might be worth trawling the forum to find out what happens when Lloyds closes an account. There will be others on here that have had the same problem.
    Last edited by sparkey1; 07-08-2018 at 9:06 AM.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 7th Aug 18, 9:05 AM
    • 33,125 Posts
    • 20,862 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:05 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:05 AM
    You do need to speak to the bank about this, its good you didnt withdraw the money.

Why not tell us more like how the money ended up in your account.
    How were you contacted ?
    Do a timeline eg June x happened, July x happened.
    • Lungboy
    • By Lungboy 7th Aug 18, 9:08 AM
    • 1,607 Posts
    • 1,617 Thanks
    Lungboy
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:08 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:08 AM
    Iím afraid if I tell them the money isnít mine I will be incriminating myself so I just reported the card as stolen instead because I am terrorfied of them asking questions, they said I would need to go into the branch if I wanted to discuss anything and they cannot give any information about why theyíre closing the account
    So you lied to the bank (potentially fraud) to cover up suspected money laundering? Yeah, that's not so good. You might need to tell the truth and throw yourself on their mercy.
    • john1002
    • By john1002 7th Aug 18, 9:35 AM
    • 933 Posts
    • 384 Thanks
    john1002
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:35 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:35 AM
    The good news is it!!!8217;s a 60 day closure notice which suggests non fraud reasons for closing, just Lloyd!!!8217;s has decided they no longer want you as a customer as is there right. Move any DD or SO over to your other accounts, you should be fine with CIFAS but can always do a SAR to them after the closure to put your mind at ease. Just learn from this and avoid putting yourself in this position again as next time you might not be so lucky.

John
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 7th Aug 18, 11:25 AM
    • 2,746 Posts
    • 1,562 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    !!!8220;I made some bitcoin or other cyber currency transactions that have been deemed fraudulent and now Lloyd!!!8217;s want to close my account!!!8221;
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 7th Aug 18, 11:07 PM
    • 25,365 Posts
    • 12,587 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    The thing is - if Lloyds are closing the account after 60 days what will they do with the balance?
    Unless it is re claimed by whoever was defrauded won't he get a cheque for the credit?
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 8th Aug 18, 12:04 AM
    • 1,738 Posts
    • 1,040 Thanks
    boo_star
    Not buying that you're innocent here.

Your actions reek to high heaven of money laundering.

Perhaps you should be looking for a solicitor, not advice on how to keep bank accounts open.
    • london_waaliyah
    • By london_waaliyah 8th Aug 18, 8:02 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    london_waaliyah
    If I wanted to make money and partake in the activities I could of been complicit and withdrawn the money when my bank account was active and received a cut of money but there was no way I wanted to be a part of it hense me reporting my bank card as stolen
    • london_waaliyah
    • By london_waaliyah 8th Aug 18, 8:03 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    london_waaliyah
    I have told them that the money isnít mine but they keep saying sorry I need to pass you over to Ďsaidí person or ring this number etc and arenít really listening or recording anything Iím telling them im guessing if theyíve closed my account then they know the money was stolen so will withhold the funds or I will have to return the cheque
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 8th Aug 18, 8:10 PM
    • 61,289 Posts
    • 54,537 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    Someone tried to use my llyods account for fraud, and I was told to withdraw laundered money but I refused
    Why didn't you take the matter to the police? Doing nothing isn't going to solve your problems. As assume that the other party is going to want their money returned.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 8th Aug 18, 8:14 PM
    • 33,125 Posts
    • 20,862 Thanks
    DCFC79
    If I wanted to make money and partake in the activities I could of been complicit and withdrawn the money when my bank account was active and received a cut of money but there was no way I wanted to be a part of it hense me reporting my bank card as stolen

How did someone contact you ?
    Why tell us what happened.
    • sparkey1
    • By sparkey1 8th Aug 18, 8:20 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    sparkey1
    I feel your not giving the full details here. Where did the money come from?
    • london_waaliyah
    • By london_waaliyah 8th Aug 18, 8:22 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    london_waaliyah
    Iím not sure what these people could do if they found out I reported them to the police especially considering they have all of my details and my family / parents address, they are serious criminals and do this with hundreds of people so I expect with that amount of money itís not hard for them to retaliate against me. Also to open up a case and incriminate myself possibly by looking complicit *even though I refused to withdraw money* seems daunting compared to just letting the bank close my account.

Also thereís a lot of money muling that happens in my city with people my age and these people have done this with my friends who have been complicit so they assumed I would be too
    • london_waaliyah
    • By london_waaliyah 8th Aug 18, 8:23 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    london_waaliyah
    I have no idea where stolen money comes from. Itís just one of those bank card scams
    • london_waaliyah
    • By london_waaliyah 8th Aug 18, 8:53 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    london_waaliyah
    They are from another city to me and the money was put into my bank and I received emails telling me to return the money via western union which I!!!8217;m guessing is a scam in itself because that would be me withdrawing it and acting as a mule for them to clean their funds
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,792Posts Today

7,418Users online

Martin's Twitter