Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • SuQuestions
    • By SuQuestions 6th Aug 18, 10:57 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 2Thanks
    SuQuestions
    NEW Three Mobile Phone - No Returned Policy at Store purchased!!
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:57 PM
    NEW Three Mobile Phone - No Returned Policy at Store purchased!! 6th Aug 18 at 10:57 PM
    @Three UK,I just purchased a 2 yrs contract phone from them 5 days ago. I hate the handset after only using it for 1 day. I went back to the shop to change it to an even higher contract but I was refused. I've been with them for 4 yrs. & I'm flipping disappointed and not happy at all! They said that because I bought it from the store, they have no return policy. If I had purchased it online then they have a 14 days return policy or even cancel it! OMG! If I had only known about it!! I have just checked their policy online here. For crying out loud! Why don't they have the same policy for the whole company! If you know of any legal advice you can give me, I would be most appreciated. Thank you.
    three. co. uk/ terms - conditions/ returns - and - exchange - policy
    Last edited by SuQuestions; 06-08-2018 at 11:02 PM.
Page 1
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 6th Aug 18, 11:17 PM
    • 3,553 Posts
    • 20,283 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:17 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:17 PM
    You have no legal right to return an in store purchase if you change your mind unless the retailer's policy allows you to. Online is different as they have to follow the law which does allow you to return it.

Lots of retailers have different policies for in store and online purchases for that very reason.

• boatman
    • By boatman 7th Aug 18, 1:14 AM
    • 4,104 Posts
    • 2,899 Thanks
    boatman
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:14 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:14 AM
    If it goes wrong in the first 30 days you can return for a full refund, I'm not suggesting you break it though!!
    • keith1950
    • By keith1950 7th Aug 18, 5:05 AM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    keith1950
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:05 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:05 AM
    Personally I think retailers should be more open to refunding / exchanging products bought in-store BUT there should be a penalty to compensate the retailer for now having a 2nd hand phone which will have to be sold as such.
    If there was , for example , a 100 fee then it might make some people do more research when buying a phone.
    Retailers shouldn't be hit in the pocket because someone " doesn't like it " and wants to try another.
    • Lagamorph
    • By Lagamorph 7th Aug 18, 10:00 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Lagamorph
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:00 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:00 AM
    This is why they have all those demo handsets in store for you to try them out first.
    • martinlewisjunior
    • By martinlewisjunior 7th Aug 18, 11:16 AM
    • 88 Posts
    • 13 Thanks
    martinlewisjunior
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:16 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:16 AM
    News Headline "Person buys cheap android phone without testing"
    • keith1950
    • By keith1950 7th Aug 18, 12:17 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 1,144 Thanks
    keith1950
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:17 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:17 PM
    It amazes me that some people can't take responsibility for their own actions and mistakes. They seem to have been so spoilt by their parents that they think the world owes them a living and as such they need "spoon feeding " through life.
    If you make a mistake live with it !
    Retailers have enough extra costs without " flakey "customers adding to them.
    • ballyblack
    • By ballyblack 7th Aug 18, 12:51 PM
    • 3,884 Posts
    • 2,051 Thanks
    ballyblack
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:51 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:51 PM
    what make/model of mobile is it?
    • macman
    • By macman 7th Aug 18, 1:42 PM
    • 42,793 Posts
    • 18,039 Thanks
    macman
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:42 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:42 PM
    The phone has been opened, set up, and used. As such it can only be resold as used. How would you like it if they had agreed to exchange it and have given you someone else's cast off as 'new'?
    If you think you will need to change it, then check the returns policy before buying: there is no statutory right to return something because you changed your mind.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • SuQuestions
    • By SuQuestions 7th Aug 18, 3:45 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    SuQuestions
    I think so too. At no point in the sale pitch when I was looking around in the store that the sales person said to me I can not return the phone if I don't like it. Especially, when it comes with a 2 years contract.
    • SuQuestions
    • By SuQuestions 7th Aug 18, 3:46 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    SuQuestions
    It was not cheap. It costs 30 per month for a 2 year contract. I would not say that it is cheap at all!
    • SuQuestions
    • By SuQuestions 7th Aug 18, 3:48 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    SuQuestions
    honor 7A - valued at 250 for the phone on its own.
    • SuQuestions
    • By SuQuestions 7th Aug 18, 3:52 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    SuQuestions
    It amazes me that some people can't take responsibility for their own actions and mistakes. They seem to have been so spoilt by their parents that they think the world owes them a living and as such they need "spoon feeding " through life.
    If you make a mistake live with it !
    Retailers have enough extra costs without " flakey "customers adding to them.
    Originally posted by keith1950
    I think this is really unfair as I was assured that I can replace the phone through their customer service if the phone is not working very well - which it doesn't. It is very slow and keeps freezing all the time. I think you should keep your mouth shut before you make judgement on someone.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 7th Aug 18, 3:57 PM
    • 3,553 Posts
    • 20,283 Thanks
    mije1983
    I think so too. At no point in the sale pitch when I was looking around in the store that the sales person said to me I can not return the phone if I don't like it. Especially, when it comes with a 2 years contract.
    Originally posted by SuQuestions
    They don't have to. Why would they? There is no legal requirement for them to offer such a policy. If they told every customer everything they couldn't do, you would never get out of there!

But flip your question, did you ask if you could return it if you didn't like it? If not, why not?

• pumpkin89
    • By pumpkin89 7th Aug 18, 3:58 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 349 Thanks
    pumpkin89
    I think this is really unfair as I was assured that I can replace the phone through their customer service if the phone is not working very well - which it doesn't. It is very slow and keeps freezing all the time.
    This is a different issue. What you stated in your original post is that you hate the phone - i.e. you've changed your mind. What you have now stated is that there is a fault with the phone - in which case yes, you are entitled to a replacement. If the phone is genuinely faulty then 3 may be open to you paying extra to upgrade to a different model, as they'll have to fork out for a new handset one way or the other.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 7th Aug 18, 4:04 PM
    • 3,553 Posts
    • 20,283 Thanks
    mije1983
    This is a different issue. What you stated in your original post is that you hate the phone - i.e. you've changed your mind. What you have now stated is that there is a fault with the phone - in which case yes, you are entitled to a replacement. If the phone is genuinely faulty then 3 may be open to you paying extra to upgrade to a different model, as they'll have to fork out for a new handset one way or the other.
    Originally posted by pumpkin89
    Unless the slowness and freezing is due to the OP trying to do more than the phone is capable of. Then the phone is not faulty. It is certainly at the cheaper end of Android devices.

honor 7A - valued at 250 for the phone on its own.
    It's a 120 phone sim free. Not sure where you got 250 from? So it is lower end of the smartphone market and the freezing could well be a result of you trying to do too much on it.

• SuQuestions
    • By SuQuestions 7th Aug 18, 4:06 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    SuQuestions
    Originally posted by pumpkin89
    That's the reasons why I hate the phone. I wanted to change it.
    • SuQuestions
    • By SuQuestions 7th Aug 18, 4:09 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    SuQuestions
    Unless the slowness and freezing is due to the OP trying to do more than the phone is capable of. Then the phone is not faulty. It is certainly at the cheaper end of Android devices.

It's a 120 phone sim free. Not sure where you got 250 from? So it is lower end of the smartphone market and the freezing could well be a result of you trying to do too much on it.
    Originally posted by mije1983
    The 250 was stated on my phone receipt which came with the contract. But obviously been minus to zero because a contract was taken out.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 7th Aug 18, 4:12 PM
    • 11,354 Posts
    • 4,978 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    That's the reasons why I hate the phone. I wanted to change it.

You are going to have to ask the store what it will cost to upgrade to another phone .Ask nicely and they may be responsive .

Or sell it on ebay or some place and put the money towards a new model . Though you will still have to pay your contract .
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 7th Aug 18, 4:21 PM
    • 3,553 Posts
    • 20,283 Thanks
    mije1983
    The 250 was stated on my phone receipt which came with the contract. But obviously been minus to zero because a contract was taken out.

Very strange. Three themselves sell it for 140 on PAYG which is expensive in comparison to the competition.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,223Posts Today

7,736Users online

Martin's Twitter