Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ferry
    • By ferry 6th Aug 18, 10:46 PM
    • 1,679Posts
    • 253Thanks
    ferry
    0 WOW
    Car rental- credit card with enough available credit?
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:46 PM
    0 WOW
    Car rental- credit card with enough available credit? 6th Aug 18 at 10:46 PM
    Hi , can someone please clear this one. We arrive in Italy and plan to rent a car from a rental company, we're told ( 3 days before we collect) that we will need a credit card with enough available credit ( in thi scase 1800Euros ) to cover any accident expenses. We have a credit card but not with that sort of limit?
    Do the rental company require proof of the avaialble funds and are we likely to be refused the rental of car?

Thanks for any advice

F x
Page 1
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 6th Aug 18, 11:14 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:14 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:14 PM
    The authorisation might fail. Your choice then would be to pay their daily waiver.
    1800 euros seems a bit high. 850 to 1350 is normal.

It's made clear during the rental process that an authorisation will be taken on your credit card if you don't take up their waiver.
    So, the 'three days before' thing won't wash.
    • ferry
    • By ferry 7th Aug 18, 7:40 AM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    ferry
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:40 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:40 AM
    The authorisation might fail. Your choice then would be to pay their daily waiver.
    1800 euros seems a bit high. 850 to 1350 is normal.

It's made clear during the rental process that an authorisation will be taken on your credit card if you don't take up their waiver.
    So, the 'three days before' thing won't wash.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    We have already taken up Collision damage waiver in a seperate policy. Is that likely to make any difference to matters?
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 7th Aug 18, 8:10 AM
    • 19,937 Posts
    • 46,149 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:10 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:10 AM
    If that is what they have said they need that is what your available credit must be, otherwise when they attempt to ringfence 1800 the transaction will be declined. They will usually take it over a few cards if you don't have it all on one. Some will take a debit card, usually for a larger amount and you will still need to have that amount available in your bank.

Failing that if you don't have that sort of available credit anywhere you may have to cancel and re-book with someone else. Avis only ringfence 200, Enterprise around 350.

Having your own CDW policy won't make any difference, taking their full insurance package might.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • es5595
    • By es5595 7th Aug 18, 9:02 AM
    • 100 Posts
    • 121 Thanks
    es5595
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:02 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:02 AM
    I booked a car through rentalcars.com at the end of last year for a rental last month. It said at the time I needed to leave a credit card deposit of 3000 over two separate cards so I duly took those with me.
    At collection nothing was mentioned about it, despite it being prominent on the paperwork and they just took a hold of about 90 to cover the tank of fuel.
    • slinga
    • By slinga 7th Aug 18, 9:59 AM
    • 1,247 Posts
    • 286 Thanks
    slinga
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:59 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:59 AM
    I booked a car through rentalcars.com at the end of last year for a rental last month. It said at the time I needed to leave a credit card deposit of 3000 over two separate cards so I duly took those with me.
    At collection nothing was mentioned about it, despite it being prominent on the paperwork and they just took a hold of about 90 to cover the tank of fuel.
    Originally posted by es5595
    That sort of deposit is ridiculous and you really should look elsewhere, imo.

Shirley that means that the rental insurance policy is set at a lower limit of 3000 so that the premium which the rental co has to pay is low.

Would getting excess insurance by way of third party company pay out 3000

This malarkey from rental companies of setting high deposits has come about because they want people to take their excess and not use third party insurers excess insurance.
    It's your money. Except if it's the governments.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 7th Aug 18, 12:07 PM
    • 1,033 Posts
    • 495 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:07 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:07 PM
    We have already taken up Collision damage waiver in a seperate policy. Is that likely to make any difference to matters?
    Originally posted by ferry
    No.
    Always a good idea to mention where and with whom on this kind of thread.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

191Posts Today

1,903Users online

Martin's Twitter