Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Vicar1976
    • By Vicar1976 6th Aug 18, 9:07 PM
    • 4Posts
    • 1Thanks
    Vicar1976
    Warranty Woes, any advice
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:07 PM
    Warranty Woes, any advice 6th Aug 18 at 9:07 PM
    Hi, First time poster, but needing advice on a Computer monitor I bought over three years ago,

I purchased an expensive 34 Super widescreen monitor from a popular online retailer. The monitor came with 3 year warranty. Near the end on my warranty the monitor produced a backlight issue which I discussed with the company, which asked me to provide them with an email with pictures showing the fault. I did this and they agreed to have the monitor picked up. A few days later a courier arrived with another monitor and took the damaged one away, this was near the end of the warranty (June 2018).

At this point I thought the monitor was just a replacement till they repaired my own monitor. The monitor I had received was a smaller 28 monitor. After a week or so I queried how the repair on my old monitor was coming along. I was told I had a like for like replacement, and that was the end of the matter. I explained the monitor I had received was not like for like and they agreed after some verification of pictures serial numbers to get a like for like replacement out to me.

This was done in the out of warranty period. (July 2018) A couple days later a like for like replacement came and I was happy for about a day, when the monitor developed an even worse fault. I called them again trying to explain a very already confused situation and I was advised that due to the warranty no longer in play I was out of luck. For them to look at repair was 45 just to look at.

I spoken to a few people about this and they say I should pursue this further due ot price and the way they did not really seem to care that much.

Any advice would be appreciated
Page 1
    • Greta Sharbo
    • By Greta Sharbo 6th Aug 18, 9:51 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Greta Sharbo
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:51 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:51 PM
    With a warranty you are bound by the terms and conditions (which can include a timescale).

You have statutory rights against the party you bought from (was the warranty from them or the manufacturer?) under the Sale of Goods act.

At this stage though you would have to prove an inherent fault, and any replacement (or refund) can reflect the usage you have had for 3+ years.

How did you pay?
    Is the warranty provider the same party you bought from? (The way you've written it suggests yes but worth clarifying)
    • Vicar1976
    • By Vicar1976 6th Aug 18, 10:55 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Vicar1976
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:55 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:55 PM
    Hi, thanks for the reply. I bought the monitor online retailer, but my warranty was the original maker of the Monitor. The only time I need the online company was to provide proof of purchase via digital receipt. The warranty was provided by the maker of the monitor and who I was dealing with via E-mail for proof of fault and description plus photos of the fault. This was within the Warranty nearing at the end of June.

A few friends say that the 3rd monitor I received being the right monitor now outwith warranty went faulty within 24 hours of receiving it and should have a small 30 day warranty. Which I never queried the 30 day warranty (if that even existed) at the time, just by email which provides at least a digital trail of my complaint.

The monitor was paid off via finance that the online retailer provided.

I showed my friends the fault at the weekend and reckon they are not fulfilling there end with the monitor they provided. Are they right?
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 6th Aug 18, 11:15 PM
    • 16,448 Posts
    • 12,566 Thanks
    hollydays
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:15 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:15 PM
    Are you really a vicar
    • Vicar1976
    • By Vicar1976 6th Aug 18, 11:45 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Vicar1976
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:45 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:45 PM
    Alas no, nor do I wear a dog collar, just in-case you were going to ask. I got the nickname playing online games, when Jimmy Corkhill in Brookside said knew off hit man called "the vicar" cause he said a prayer for all his victims. I was playing Counter strike at the time and I took that nickname lets just say it stuck with me. This happen-end some time ago.
    • Vicar1976
    • By Vicar1976 7th Aug 18, 4:48 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Vicar1976
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:48 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 4:48 PM
    Sorry for thread bumping but is this post in the right place for people to view for correct response, if any. I tried calling Citzen Advice today for some guidance, and gave up after waiting 45 mins of call waiting.
    • Greta Sharbo
    • By Greta Sharbo 7th Aug 18, 6:21 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 244 Thanks
    Greta Sharbo
    • 7th Aug 18, 6:21 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 6:21 PM
    You can pursue the trader you purchased from but as mentioned before it will fall to you to prove there is an inherent fault. Has the warranty company accepted it is a manufacture fault?

Or depending on the type of finance you can pursue the finance company. Have either trader of finco been involved at any stage?

There is no obligation on the warranty provider to extend the warranty after a repair - some might but they don't need to.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,856Posts Today

8,648Users online

Martin's Twitter