Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LuckyEddy56
    • By LuckyEddy56 6th Aug 18, 9:06 PM
    • 14Posts
    • 1Thanks
    LuckyEddy56
    The seller now wants more money
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:06 PM
    The seller now wants more money 6th Aug 18 at 9:06 PM
    I bought a motorcycle cheaply from a nice old lady who's son had left it sitting in her garden for years. I made an offer, the old lady told me she would consult her family to check if the offer was acceptable, she said she had checked and that it was. Now, after I got the bike through the MOT without having to spend much, her granddaughter has contacted me saying she wants more money or the bike back and that the old lady never had the right to sell it to me, also, as the old lady and I both signed the V5 in the names of someone else, ( I signed it in my sons name as I was buying it for him, she signed it in her sons name as he is disabled and unable to deal with it himself), the granddaughter is also threatening to report the bike as stolen if I don't pay her more or give the bike back. I don't know where I stand ? Can someone please advise me what to do? Thank you.
Page 4
    • shaun from Africa
    • By shaun from Africa 10th Aug 18, 10:59 AM
    • 10,188 Posts
    • 11,455 Thanks
    shaun from Africa
    The previous poster referred to common law, i.e. NOT statute law. Those statutes to which you do not apply: the SOGA and CRA apply to traders, not private sales. The other quote refers to "a mercantile agent", which the granny patently was not.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Incorrect.
    The SOGA applies to both traders and private sellers. It's just that not all parts of it apply.
    Sections 12 (the right to sell the goods) and section 13 (goods to be as described) apply to all sales whether by a business or private seller.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,196Posts Today

8,203Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin