Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • tashmatthews
    • By tashmatthews 6th Aug 18, 9:02 PM
    • 480Posts
    • 255Thanks
    tashmatthews
    0 WOW
    Dubai Help
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:02 PM
    0 WOW
    Dubai Help 6th Aug 18 at 9:02 PM
    Hello

Just after a bit of advice please:

We are travelling to Dubai 2 adults, for a week, staying in the Atlantis so water-park is free

Im after advice as to what people would say is a must visit for attractions in Dubai please?

Also any advice as to what to do and not?

And how much is the UK worth against the dirham

Thanks in advance
    I love a Bargain
Page 1
    • macman
    • By macman 6th Aug 18, 9:10 PM
    • 42,269 Posts
    • 17,659 Thanks
    macman
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:10 PM
    When are you going? The heat in August will be a severely limiting factor if you are going imminently. This week it's hitting the mid-40's.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 6th Aug 18, 9:10 PM
    • 12,273 Posts
    • 8,374 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    Rumour has it that the gold market and camel racing are the top attractions.

What not to do: never attempt to drink alcohol; never attempt to speak to a woman who is not your relative; do not get into any kind of conflict with local people (not even accidentally bumping into someone in a crowded space); do not do anything that would arouse a suspicion that you were trying to steal something; and of course do not consider taking drugs (including substances like painkillers that are legal here but banned there).

Hope you have lots of fun!
    • tashmatthews
    • By tashmatthews 6th Aug 18, 9:10 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    tashmatthews
    When are you going? The heat in August will be a severely limiting factor if you are going imminently.
    Originally posted by macman
    End of September
    I love a Bargain
    • tashmatthews
    • By tashmatthews 6th Aug 18, 9:11 PM
    • 480 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    tashmatthews
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:11 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:11 PM
    Rumour has it that the gold market and camel racing are the top attractions.

What not to do: never attempt to drink alcohol; never attempt to speak to a woman who is not your relative; do not get into any kind of conflict with local people (not even accidentally bumping into someone in a crowded space); do not do anything that would arouse a suspicion that you were trying to steal something; and of course do not consider taking drugs (including substances like painkillers that are legal here but banned there).

Hope you have lots of fun!
    Originally posted by Voyager2002
    Ha, I have read all of these and warned my husband as he's the short fuse!!!
    I love a Bargain
    • macman
    • By macman 6th Aug 18, 9:20 PM
    • 42,269 Posts
    • 17,659 Thanks
    macman
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:20 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:20 PM
    You can drink alcohol with no problem in most Western hotels. Just don't ever do it in public, or buy take-away booze, or offer it to an Emirati, should you see one, which is unlikely once you've cleared Immigration.
    The drug that catches most people out is codeine, which is strictly prescription only in the UAE
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 7th Aug 18, 8:40 AM
    • 19,543 Posts
    • 45,266 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:40 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:40 AM
    You can drink alcohol with no problem in most Western hotels. Just don't ever do it in public, or buy take-away booze, or offer it to an Emirati, should you see one, which is unlikely once you've cleared Immigration.
    The drug that catches most people out is codeine, which is strictly prescription only in the UAE
    Originally posted by macman
    Except for the Emirati men you see downing pints in hotel bars

OP, you can stock up at Duty free while waiting for your luggage if you want alcohol to keep in your room, that's perfectly acceptable and you can ask them to empty the minibar fridge to put it in. Alcohol in bars and restaurants is very expensive so lots of people do this. I personally don't bother, I find it too hot to drink.

There aren't any banned medications, there is a 'controlled substance' list same as any other country, which if you want to take anything on it you just need to take a copy of your prescription and keep it in its original packaging.

Exchange rate is around AED4.8 to 1, I round up to 5.

You're a bit out of they way from anything else staying on The Palm, everything will be a taxi ride away, which while easy are not particularly cheap, think local minicab prices, minimum fare is AED5, which is about 1, although it's a minimum AED 15 (3) from a mall rank and AED25 (5) from the airport rank. There is a metro station but the train just goes back and forth, you have to change to another metro or tram to get anywhere else.

As for things to do, it depends when you're going. If now you're a bit restricted by heat for outdoor activities. Although there's plenty to do indoors, skiing, ice skating, theme parks, the aquarium at Dubai Mall is better than the one at Atlantis. There's the Burj Khalifa that you can go to the top of. In the evening there are boat rides around the fountain at the base of it. There's the old town where the souks and abra boats are. A dune ride is great fun afternoon/evening out and ends in a BBQ. Really so much to do for any taste.
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • PompeyPete
    • By PompeyPete 7th Aug 18, 9:06 AM
    • 5,596 Posts
    • 7,827 Thanks
    PompeyPete
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:06 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:06 AM
    If you want to see a bit of everyday life, then Dubai Creek is the place. Watch the dhows loading and unloading, or sailing in and out with their cargo. Take an abra across the creek, wander round the souqs in Deira.

A trip to the Irish Village for a pint and something to eat.
    • peachyprice
    • By peachyprice 7th Aug 18, 9:42 AM
    • 19,543 Posts
    • 45,266 Thanks
    peachyprice
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:42 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:42 AM
    And all the while knowing you can walk around any time day or night without bumping in to crowds or drunken yobs!
    Accept your past without regret, handle your present with confidence and face your future without fear
    • Luke1066
    • By Luke1066 7th Aug 18, 10:14 AM
    • 19 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Luke1066
    Desert safari is great fun, at the top Burj Khalifa, do a brunch (on fridays), La Perle show
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,664Posts Today

7,355Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin