Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stevie deako
    • By stevie deako 6th Aug 18, 8:53 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    stevie deako
    Full and Final Offer - Loan still "In Term"
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:53 PM
    Full and Final Offer - Loan still "In Term" 6th Aug 18 at 8:53 PM
    Hi,

I have been in a DMP for several years, and due to a small inheritance, I am in a position to offer around 40% by way of F&F. In total, I have 14 creditors with debts ranging from 23k as the largest down to 350 as the smallest.

So far I have been able to agree settlement at values ranging from 42% to 60% for 6 of the debts, whilst I continue to negotiate on the remaining debts.

However, my biggest issue is with the largest of the loans, the 23k which was originally a Tesco loan, now under the management of Intrum. The problem is that the debt is still within the original term of the loan (and will be until September 2020), and as such, they are not prepared to offer any kind of settlement other than an interest reduction equivalent to approximately 1k.

For information, my original offer of settlement was just over 10k, but the maximum that I could possibly raise would be 14k.

I have trawled the internet for any guidance on this scenario, but cannot find anything. I have also raised the issue with Stepchange, and am still waiting on their response, so I thought I would ask if anyone else has had a similar issue with a loan still being in it's original term, and how it was resolved.

Thanks in advance.
    Steve
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 6th Aug 18, 9:10 PM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 14,604 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:10 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:10 PM
    Hi,

By original terms, you mean its not been defaulted ?

Only one way to get a default, and thats to stop paying them.

The problem you will have is they may take legal action, as its a sizeable debt, or they may sell it, which is what you want, no way to tell which way they will go.

If it was sold on, and left a while, the discount would be a lot better, but its a risk.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • NeverendingDMP
    • By NeverendingDMP 6th Aug 18, 10:31 PM
    • 119 Posts
    • 501 Thanks
    NeverendingDMP
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:31 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:31 PM
    Can't give an answer I'm afraid but I have a Tesco loan that was passed to intrum. Mine was sold to them I think and I had defaults etc. Shortly after my letters explaining intrum were now the people to deal with I got a letter offering a settlement figure. Just over 40 Percent if I paid in so many days. Fifty percent if eight weeks 60 percent if paid in so many other weeks etc. I couldn't afford it so did nothing but within a week had a letter to say my settlement offer had been sent in error so was not valid. Possibly this is why. I'm not 100 percent sure what my end date was without digging it out but I reckon at a guess it's another year or two off from now and it's been with intrum over 12 months. Maybe that's why they wrote to me to withdraw the offer? Mines at 11300 now. I'm paying ten pound a month whilst awaiting paperwork from a CCA request. I requested the CCA info in April and haven't had much back yet. Have you ever requested CCA from them. Might be a way to reduce payments yet keep them sweet at the same time.
    Following with interest as I've two debts that are technically still in agreement dates.
    35,213 in Jan 2018, 30134 remaining.
    Mortgage 77230 in Jan 2018
    75612 remaining.
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 6th Aug 18, 11:24 PM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 14,604 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:24 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:24 PM
    CCA request is good advice.

You would be surprised how negligent creditors can be when it comes to the nicities of paperwork.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
    • stevie deako
    • By stevie deako 11th Aug 18, 2:42 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    stevie deako
    • 11th Aug 18, 2:42 PM
    • 11th Aug 18, 2:42 PM
    Thanks for the advice. I have not requested CCA yet, but will do that now, and see how things go, and keep you updated of any progress.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,049Posts Today

8,997Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @kelsher123: @MartinSLewis First time switcher! And no, it wasn?t as challenging as I thought???? A British Gas customer so no brainier. Th?

• Agreed but by marketing it as cough specific people think there's something extra so they buy this rather than gene? https://t.co/hATY3W8Yia

• Good news for those aggressively criticising this poll and trying to pull it apart. I've just got off a 3 way call? https://t.co/Pu750aktyg

• Follow Martin