Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • realgonekid
    • By realgonekid 6th Aug 18, 8:24 PM
    • 18Posts
    • 4Thanks
    realgonekid
    Bankruptcy & third party bank accounts
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:24 PM
    Bankruptcy & third party bank accounts 6th Aug 18 at 8:24 PM
    Just a quick one....

If your made bankrupt and they want to see want to see your bank statements how does that work if you have been using a third parties account (a very close friends) and your own account has not been used for quite sometime. I have no issue them seeing my own and any that I have closer but can they demand and can you be forced to let them see someone elses.....
Page 1
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 6th Aug 18, 9:16 PM
    • 2,396 Posts
    • 2,304 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:16 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:16 PM
    It will be about proving your income - pay slips, paying-in receipts/slips, a bank statement with all the other transactions redacted...?
    You need your own bank account sharpish - get something like a Barclays Basic (if you don't owe Barclays bank money)
    • realgonekid
    • By realgonekid 6th Aug 18, 9:40 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    realgonekid
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:40 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:40 PM
    I will be opening a Yorkshire building society transactor account if/when I do the deed
    • realgonekid
    • By realgonekid 7th Aug 18, 10:45 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    realgonekid
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:45 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:45 AM
    Does anyone know if the OR can demand access to third party accounts though?
    • TheGardener
    • By TheGardener 7th Aug 18, 12:59 PM
    • 2,396 Posts
    • 2,304 Thanks
    TheGardener
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:59 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:59 PM
    I don't know. At the end of the day what the OR needs to do is see evidence of what your income is and whether you have any assets. If they believe you have assets in someone else's account - I have no doubt that they will have the power to approach the bank and ask for details.

If you want to protect your 'close friend' then open your own account asap and be prepared to be cooperative and to answer all the questions the OR puts to you.

What is your friends view on this? Is your friends bank happy to allow you to 'share' the account - has your friend checked they are not breaching the terms and conditions of their account?
    • realgonekid
    • By realgonekid 8th Aug 18, 10:08 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    realgonekid
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:08 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:08 AM
    I don't have any assets in their account. The bank obvs don't know.i am opening an account tommorrow. I guess I am just looking for a definitive answer
    • realgonekid
    • By realgonekid 8th Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    realgonekid
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:18 AM
    In addition my friend was not bothered as they opened a separate account for me. Yorkshire building society is the way to go it seems
    • Kimberley
    • By Kimberley 8th Aug 18, 11:30 AM
    • 13,363 Posts
    • 20,355 Thanks
    Kimberley
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:30 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 11:30 AM
    Sorry for hijacking this thread but have been trying to open a basic bank account but the banks just say I cannot whilst i have a current account.
    • exlews
    • By exlews 8th Aug 18, 12:12 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    exlews
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:12 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 12:12 PM
    I have a couple of current accounts and have recently opened a basic account at TSB. I told them I was thinking about going bankrupt. I had to go into branch as the website was being upgraded. Give them a go.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

202Posts Today

3,346Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin