Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 6th Aug 18, 8:09 PM
    • 869Posts
    • 1,759Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    Oreo on S8+
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:09 PM
    Oreo on S8+ 6th Aug 18 at 8:09 PM
    Bought an unlocked S8+ a while back but for some reason itís still on Android 7. Iíve tried to manually update it but it says it is up to date..... how can I force it to update to 8?
    Thanx
Page 1
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 7th Aug 18, 7:34 AM
    • 1,157 Posts
    • 904 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:34 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:34 AM
    You can!!!8217;t. Yo just have to be patient and wait!
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • Mr_Singleton
    • By Mr_Singleton 7th Aug 18, 5:46 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 1,759 Thanks
    Mr_Singleton
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:46 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:46 PM
    As I thought..... S8+ will be my last Samsung phone. Screw them!
    • robin58
    • By robin58 7th Aug 18, 5:59 PM
    • 2,556 Posts
    • 2,979 Thanks
    robin58
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:59 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:59 PM
    You sure it's Samsung?

Some phones which are locked to certain carriers are more dependant on the carrier giving you the current update, not Samsung.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!!
    • Neil49
    • By Neil49 7th Aug 18, 8:58 PM
    • 1,338 Posts
    • 657 Thanks
    Neil49
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:58 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:58 PM
    My Samsung S7 updated to Oreo a couple of weeks ago. It was unlocked and not linked to any provider in any way. Your phone, although unlocked, may be dependent on a certain provider to trigger the update.

Just to add that, although it has added a few extra features, I have found that my S7 now has a noticeable lag when opening apps. Once open it seems to be OK.

I wouldn't be too eager to update unless you really want to.
    • john22
    • By john22 8th Aug 18, 7:08 AM
    • 589 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    john22
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:08 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:08 AM
    It might well be the carrier but from someone who uses the iPhone why canít Samsung be like Apple and take control of how updates get to customers.

Is it old legeacy agreements from the days before android and iOS that Samsung is beholding to when carriers decide when updates get to the customer?
    • PHK
    • By PHK 8th Aug 18, 7:47 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 83 Thanks
    PHK
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:47 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 7:47 AM
    The roll out to unlocked devices is compkete, according to Samsung, so there's a couple of possibilities.

Either your device is a carrier version and that carrier hasn't decided to release Oreo.

Or there's something wrong with the phone that's stopping it.

Can you go into Settings and About Phone , then under Software tell me what the Service Provider Software version is? In particular you'll see a code something like BTU that might be repeated?
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 8th Aug 18, 10:15 AM
    • 2,256 Posts
    • 937 Thanks
    20aday
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:15 AM
    • 8th Aug 18, 10:15 AM
    The roll out to unlocked devices is compkete, according to Samsung, so there's a couple of possibilities.

Either your device is a carrier version and that carrier hasn't decided to release Oreo.

Or there's something wrong with the phone that's stopping it.

Can you go into Settings and About Phone , then under Software tell me what the Service Provider Software version is? In particular you'll see a code something like BTU that might be repeated?
    Originally posted by PHK
    Was going to suggest the same, thank you.

Some carriers seem to be slower than others in offering the latest versions of Android.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • almillar
    • By almillar 8th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 7,473 Posts
    • 3,058 Thanks
    almillar
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 8th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    As I thought..... S8+ will be my last Samsung phone. Screw them!
    Way to get angry at (possibly) the wrong person. It could be your network. EE took ages to (alter, test and) let Nougat through onto my (network provided) S7. If you buy a phone SIM free, I believe you can bypass the networks.
    • john22
    • By john22 8th Aug 18, 1:35 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    john22
    Way to get angry at (possibly) the wrong person. It could be your network. EE took ages to (alter, test and) let Nougat through onto my (network provided) S7. If you buy a phone SIM free, I believe you can bypass the networks.
    Originally posted by almillar
    But why can't Samsung work with the networks and make sure that if customers want the latest OS they can get it?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 8th Aug 18, 1:38 PM
    • 33,887 Posts
    • 28,746 Thanks
    custardy
    But why can't Samsung work with the networks and make sure that if customers want the latest OS they can get it?
    Originally posted by john22
    buy sim free and you dont have to wait on the networks.
    Samsung has Oreo as they are happy with it. Its the networks adding their tweaks and testing.
    • john22
    • By john22 8th Aug 18, 1:51 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    john22
    buy sim free and you dont have to wait on the networks.
    Samsung has Oreo as they are happy with it. Its the networks adding their tweaks and testing.
    Originally posted by custardy
    But not everyone can afford to go buy a phone outright.

If as you say Samsung is happy with Oreo then the operating system should work on any network that they supply the phone too and no so called testing should be required.

As for "tweaks" what does that mean bloatware from the networks?
    • custardy
    • By custardy 8th Aug 18, 2:01 PM
    • 33,887 Posts
    • 28,746 Thanks
    custardy
    But not everyone can afford to go buy a phone outright.

If as you say Samsung is happy with Oreo then the operating system should work on any network that they supply the phone too and no so called testing should be required.

As for "tweaks" what does that mean bloatware from the networks?
    You dont need to buy a handset to get a sim free handset.
    Take your contract through the right resellers and you get a sim free handset.

Networks add their own software/overlays or bloat as you say.
    These need to be tested.
    I own a sim free Note 8 on the EE network. It doesnt matter when EE release an update as my updates come from Samsung.
    My handset still works with the EE network.
    • john22
    • By john22 8th Aug 18, 2:05 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    john22
    You dont need to buy a handset to get a sim free handset.
    Take your contract through the right resellers and you get a sim free handset.

Networks add their own software/overlays or bloat as you say.
    These need to be tested.
    I own a sim free Note 8 on the EE network. It doesnt matter when EE release an update as my updates come from Samsung.
    My handset still works with the EE network.
    Very strange that Google and a big player like Samsung are still beholden to networks. I thought by now they would have been able to get networks to stop restricting customers from getting the latest OS.
    • custardy
    • By custardy 8th Aug 18, 2:35 PM
    • 33,887 Posts
    • 28,746 Thanks
    custardy
    Very strange that Google and a big player like Samsung are still beholden to networks. I thought by now they would have been able to get networks to stop restricting customers from getting the latest OS.
    I doubt it bothers them either way.
    • john22
    • By john22 8th Aug 18, 2:37 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    john22
    I doubt it bothers them either way.
    Oh I know that.
    • JJ Egan
    • By JJ Egan 8th Aug 18, 4:21 PM
    • 10,850 Posts
    • 4,642 Thanks
    JJ Egan
    Samsung did pull the update at one stage due to rebooting issues .Not sure of the time lines though as their are that many S8+ model numbers .
    Sammobile shows most UK are on 8.0 so could well be a problem with the actual phone .
    Or as OP is never going to buy samsung again they have said ???? you .
    • almillar
    • By almillar 9th Aug 18, 1:15 PM
    • 7,473 Posts
    • 3,058 Thanks
    almillar
    Stop blaming Samsung. They literally hand over the code, and the network can simply redistribute it if they like. They (or my network, EE at least) choose to alter it and test it. EE at least does add VOLTE but the delay is entirely down to the network and not Samsung. See also other manufacturers. I would consider changing network.
    • john22
    • By john22 9th Aug 18, 1:17 PM
    • 589 Posts
    • 422 Thanks
    john22
    Stop blaming Samsung. They literally hand over the code, and the network can simply redistribute it if they like. They (or my network, EE at least) choose to alter it and test it. EE at least does add VOLTE but the delay is entirely down to the network and not Samsung. See also other manufacturers. I would consider changing network.
    I can blame Samsung if I want
    • custardy
    • By custardy 9th Aug 18, 2:31 PM
    • 33,887 Posts
    • 28,746 Thanks
    custardy
    You mean they leave it in. My note 8 has it on EE with OEM firmware
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,625Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin