Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Hayleybrudger1
    • By Hayleybrudger1 6th Aug 18, 8:08 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Hayleybrudger1
    Not on the electoral role - can I get a mortgage?!
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:08 PM
    Not on the electoral role - can I get a mortgage?! 6th Aug 18 at 8:08 PM
    Iím so distraught and confused right now!

Iíve found a share in a property that is well within my budget. During filling the forms out with family, itís dawned to us that Iím not on the electoral role and now Iím wondering will I even get this small mortgage?

Iíve lived at address my whole life Iím 25 years old. I moved to uni and changed my electoral over. After uni I then moved in with a family member.

The house I moved to was owned by a family member, and me and my nan lived there (in the meantime all my bills etc went to my parent Home and where I am living now). When my nan passed away I was a mess and since applying for housing itís only just dawned on me that I didnít re register here when I moved back.

I donít know if my nan/family member registered me at the house I did live in for those years either. So I may possibly have a 6 year gap

Iíve got credit cards, phone bills, internet bill, all since being back at this address, all in my name under this address, all my bills everything. Just not the electoral role. I have great credit and the only negative since joining clear score today is the electoral role.

Is there anything I can do? Any way I could get a miracle and get a mortgage? I have proof of uni, proof of letters at this address, could possibly get proof from family member of me living in the house with nan if I wasnít under electioral role, but Iím just so worried this means I wonít get to move out for a few more years. Of course Iíve registered now I realised :/
Page 1
    • sparkey1
    • By sparkey1 6th Aug 18, 11:02 PM
    • 439 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    sparkey1
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:02 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:02 PM
    Just go here and register. It will show on your credit file in six weeks.

https://www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

It will take 5 minutes.
    • butterflybook
    • By butterflybook 7th Aug 18, 9:27 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    butterflybook
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:27 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:27 AM
    go on and register now and then its done. this isn't a deal breaker some lenders will ask for proof of address history if there are any concerns
    I am a Mortgage Broker
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a Mortgage Broker, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
    • marcmc84
    • By marcmc84 7th Aug 18, 11:20 AM
    • 38 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    marcmc84
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:20 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:20 AM
    You can apply to get added now and if it doesn't show on your credit file in time for your mortgage you can get a certificate from your council stating you have been added and date etc. We had to do this and we collected from council office the next day. Not sure all councils offer this but ours did.
    • LRmortgage
    • By LRmortgage 7th Aug 18, 7:08 PM
    • 103 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    LRmortgage
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:08 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:08 PM
    Some Lenders will care, others will not.

Use a broker and they!!!8217;ll go to the correct lender for this circumstance.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,780Posts Today

6,433Users online

Martin's Twitter