Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • twotonealex
    • By twotonealex 6th Aug 18, 7:54 PM
    • 51Posts
    • 14Thanks
    twotonealex
    Help me choose a Global Fund?
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:54 PM
    Help me choose a Global Fund? 6th Aug 18 at 7:54 PM
    Evening All,

Following many of your contributions to my previous thread, where I looked to gain opinions on whether I should reduce my Fever Tree holding, it was kindly pointed out that even though my intentions were in a good place, I was stupid to spread around £3500 (not including fever tree) across multiple tech, asia & emerging markets funds, based on the size of the amounts and the cost of the fees!

I have, for the moment, decided to keep my holding in Fever Tree, however this is something I will reduce in the near future.

From reading various threads, and a few suggestions, I'm looking at consolidating these funds (now I've requested the sale via HL) into a Global Fund, equity was suggested.

I've listed a few I've looked into below, but looking to see if anyone has any alternative suggestions or any feedback on any?

Architas Birthstar 2046-50
    Baillie Gifford Global Alpha Growth
    Black Rock Consensus 100
    Black Rock Consensus 85
    Black Rock Consensus 60
    HSBC Global Strategy Balanced Portfolio
    Vanguard Life Strategy 80% equity
    Vanguard Life Strategy 60% equity

I'm 27, the purpose of this SIPP is to play a small part in bridging the 10 year gap between my desired retirement age of 55, and the drawing age of 65 of my CS Alpha pension.

I have seen a lot of talk of the VLS funds above. I overall want as good all round growth as possible, anything anyone can suggest is appreciated.

Please keep it constructive, I don't profess to be a master of any of this, I'm just trying to build on the 33.01% growth I've had in the last 12 months and future proof it with something a bit more sensible.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
    Alex
Page 2
    • A_T
    • By A_T 7th Aug 18, 5:58 PM
    • 537 Posts
    • 366 Thanks
    A_T
    Fidelity Multi Asset Allocator funds are another that do not have a bias to the FTSE 100
    • twotonealex
    • By twotonealex 7th Aug 18, 8:51 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    twotonealex
    Thanks A_T
    • bluefukurou
    • By bluefukurou 8th Aug 18, 1:25 PM
    • 69 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    bluefukurou
    Following many of your contributions to my previous thread, where I looked to gain opinions on whether I should reduce my Fever Tree holding, it was kindly pointed out that even though my intentions were in a good place, I was stupid to spread around £3500 (not including fever tree) across multiple tech, asia & emerging markets funds, based on the size of the amounts and the cost of the fees!

From reading various threads, and a few suggestions, I'm looking at consolidating these funds (now I've requested the sale via HL) into a Global Fund, equity was suggested.
    Originally posted by twotonealex
    Arenít forums like this great? You ask a few questions, post your thoughts and ideas, and get your theories blown out of the water, but ultimately, if you listen to the wise, get valuable and free advice.
    • twotonealex
    • By twotonealex 8th Aug 18, 5:31 PM
    • 51 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    twotonealex
    Aren!!!8217;t forums like this great? You ask a few questions, post your thoughts and ideas, and get your theories blown out of the water, but ultimately, if you listen to the wise, get valuable and free advice.
    Originally posted by bluefukurou
    Amen!
    I've now invested in one of the funds mentioned earlier, and feel a lot more content. My overall SIPP balance is very small.

A previous pension I had through an ex-employer ran by Aviva was terrible! The employer contributions were rubbish, as were mine as the pay was far from good. Over a 2 year period, the total contributions were just shy of £3K, the fund grew by £13!

I know with pensions it's the long game that we all play, but it made me realise how terrible my pension actually was! The pre-selected funds were so tame I might as well have stored it in a current account (from a growth standpoint, not tax!).

In a year, at the point of selling my numerous funds, It worked out that I was 41% up from my original investments. Yes, lots of luck, a good tip off from an IFA, and a particularly buoyant market made this possible, but this SIPP is to play most likely a small part in bridging the 10 year gap I anticipate between 55 and when I can draw my CS Alpha pension. It's more of a hobby, and to see how well I can grow this without relinquishing control to a 3rd party pension provider.

Thanks everyone for their inputs!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,943Posts Today

6,641Users online

Martin's Twitter