Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • chichi1978
    • By chichi1978 6th Aug 18, 7:51 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 0Thanks
    chichi1978
    abusive THREE.
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:51 PM
    abusive THREE. 6th Aug 18 at 7:51 PM
    Hi experts,

I wanted to cancel my THREE contract, and I called them last week… and apparently I gave them one of my password wrong, so they asked me to wait 24 hours, reset the password and call again (which I did)…

I reset it and called 3 days later (today), on the phone… I waited for 10 minutes, then a guy with Indian accent asked me again my details, which I gave all of them (he never asked me about the password I reset), he then asked me to wait because I was going to be transferred to the cancelation team… Then I waited for 15 more minutes and another guy with Indian accent, started talking about how important I was for them (he literally told me I was like family to him?!) and that was such a shame that I was leaving (he took around 8 minutes to process the cancelation), then he said I had a penalty fee to pay, and that I must pay it, and transferred me to ANOTHER guy with Indian accent, which also took 7,8 minutes to take the payment and went on….

Overall the call was 50 minutes, I talked to 3 different guys: they clearly on purpose talked slow and put me on hold for no reason for like 30 seconds, repeatedly!!… it was as if they were picking up a fight. Luckily I remained quiet and was able to cancel it.

I am extremely angry, I think what they do is beyond abusive… I wanted to know if anyone experienced the same, and if I can complain in any way…?

Ps: is there in this forum a post warning this THREE behaviour or any other abusive company?
Page 1
    • J B
    • By J B 6th Aug 18, 9:43 PM
    • 2,878 Posts
    • 1,042 Thanks
    J B
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:43 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:43 PM
    Maybe you need to look in the dictionary for the definition of abusive???
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 6th Aug 18, 10:13 PM
    • 3,543 Posts
    • 20,094 Thanks
    mije1983
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:13 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:13 PM
    It appears you have missed out part of your post. If you can include the bit where they were offensive and insulting it may help.

A lot of people say they struggle to understand overseas call centres, so I would say talking slowly was a positive thing for a lot of people. Maybe they have been told to talk slower and be more precise with their words to help people understand them?

I'd also seriously suggest seeing someone who can help your temper if being put on hold was all it took to make you 'extremely angry' and coupled with your belief they were 'abusive' could be a damaging combination. That seems a bigger problem here than Three.
    Last edited by mije1983; 06-08-2018 at 10:16 PM.

• Cornucopia
    • By Cornucopia 6th Aug 18, 10:20 PM
    • 10,493 Posts
    • 10,657 Thanks
    Cornucopia
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:20 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:20 PM
    I like the EE call centres. I like the way they proudly announce the cities they are based in when they answer the call. I imagine they have competitions within EE as to who can be most cheerful and most helpful on the line - my vote goes to Belfast.

However, even they have separate teams for things like cancellations, unlocking, etc. Those teams have queues and sometimes your call centre person will wait in those queues for you, whilst you are on hold. That's how the industry works.
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 07-08-2018 at 2:52 PM.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Phones & TV, Techie Stuff, In My Home,
    The Money Savers Arms and Food Shopping boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views (especially those on the UK TV Licence) are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com.

Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • boatman
    • By boatman 7th Aug 18, 1:26 AM
    • 4,052 Posts
    • 2,856 Thanks
    boatman
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:26 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 1:26 AM
    I think op has highlighted why OFCOM are bringing in new rules such that you can cancel a mobile contract by email, about time.

I have to agree that Three call centre staff do go on... And on... I lost count of the number of times I said I just wanted to cancel.
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 7th Aug 18, 8:43 AM
    • 5,022 Posts
    • 2,213 Thanks
    brewerdave
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:43 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:43 AM
    ...but I bet its no worse than trying to cancel with Sky or TalkTalk or...........
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 7th Aug 18, 9:53 AM
    • 8,848 Posts
    • 6,587 Thanks
    pmduk
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:53 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 9:53 AM
    Three is definitely the worst company when it comes to cancelling, but they're polite as heck.

Don't blame the individual staff-members for the systems their management have created.
    • chichi1978
    • By chichi1978 7th Aug 18, 10:03 AM
    • 27 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    chichi1978
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:03 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:03 AM
    Thanks for all the replies…

Just clarifying.

Def.
    1- Extremely offensive and insulting.
    2- Engaging in or characterized by habitual violence and cruelty.
    3- Involving injustice or illegality.

Maybe I wasn’t clear enough, but, the conversation was something like this:

(this was the second person that I talked to)
    Me: I am a bit in a hurry I would be glad if we could sort this quickly.
    3: Yes, you are a loved customer, I wanted to know how are you today.
    Me: fine fine, I am doing good.
    3: But, how are you feeling?
    Me: fine fine.
    3: I need to check a few things, hold please.
    (holding 3 minutes)
    3: Yes, everything looks fine, how are you doing today?
    Me: I am fine, can we proceed with the cancelation?
    3: Yes, how did you find our service?
    Me: great, really good.
    3: perhaps, you had any issues with the service.
    Me: no, it was great.
    3: how great?
    Me: I did not have any issues with the service.
    3: Do you have any family, friends that you could transfer this line to?
    Me: no, no one.
    3: how come? No family? No friends?
    Me: no, I am leaving the country tomorrow (I was lying).
    3: perhaps you could take some time to think about this, and talk to your friends.
    Me: no, I want to cancel this.
    3: but, you will lose the chance to transfer the line to a friend/relative.
    Me: I know, I just want to cancel it.
    3: sure, hold on a second.
    (holding 3 minutes)
    3: how are you feeling today?
    Me: Great. Can we proceed?
    3: yes, are you ok?
    Me: yes, please, can we proceed?
    3: there is one problem, you will have to pay an early termination fee.
    Me: yes, no problem.
    3: so, it is better if you transfer the line to a relative or a friend…
    Me: mate, please I just want to cancel this line (I was begging at this point)
    3: sure, let’s cancel it then, please hold while I do it.
    (holding for 7 minutes)

It went on a bit more… he did not do it!!! Then he transferred me to another person that made the cancellation itself after I paid the penalty…
    (this was the conversation with just one guy, in total it was 3 guys, and they all acted like that…).

I think is offensive to ask the same questions repeatedly to force the caller to cancel the call. Each of them told me I was a beloved customer at least twice… each of them asked me how I was at least twice… One guy even said “you are like family to me”, “you are part of the THREE family”.
    I might be wrong, but I think it is offensive to have to be over 50 minutes on the phone to cancel the service.
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 7th Aug 18, 12:13 PM
    • 32,357 Posts
    • 20,351 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:13 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:13 PM
    Looks like the call handlers were annoying but not abusive, couldn't stand all of that crap they gave.
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 7th Aug 18, 1:22 PM
    • 8,848 Posts
    • 6,587 Thanks
    pmduk
    So we've an OP who's accused Three of being abusive when they're not; offensive when they're not, I wonder what's next - I suspect the foolish SCA- word.
    • macman
    • By macman 7th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 42,331 Posts
    • 17,703 Thanks
    macman
    The first person you spoke to was a tier one call centre agent. When you said you wanted to leave, he transferred you to retentions (saying it was disconnections).
    His sole job is to persuade you to change your mind, using every possible tactic in his training manual: flattery, delays, guilt...
    When he finally had to admit defeat, he passed you through to the dept that actually deal with disconnections. That's why it took so long. Almost all providers use a similar structure. If the retentions guys don't retain sufficient customers, then they eventually get fired; so he was just doing his job.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Faith177
    • By Faith177 7th Aug 18, 1:32 PM
    • 2,552 Posts
    • 4,082 Thanks
    Faith177
    Thanks for all the replies…

Just clarifying.

Def.
    1- Extremely offensive and insulting.
    2- Engaging in or characterized by habitual violence and cruelty.
    3- Involving injustice or illegality.

Maybe I wasn’t clear enough, but, the conversation was something like this:

(this was the second person that I talked to)
    Me: I am a bit in a hurry I would be glad if we could sort this quickly.
    3: Yes, you are a loved customer, I wanted to know how are you today.
    Me: fine fine, I am doing good.
    3: But, how are you feeling?
    Me: fine fine.
    3: I need to check a few things, hold please.
    (holding 3 minutes)
    3: Yes, everything looks fine, how are you doing today?
    Me: I am fine, can we proceed with the cancelation?
    3: Yes, how did you find our service?
    Me: great, really good.
    3: perhaps, you had any issues with the service.
    Me: no, it was great.
    3: how great?
    Me: I did not have any issues with the service.
    3: Do you have any family, friends that you could transfer this line to?
    Me: no, no one.
    3: how come? No family? No friends?
    Me: no, I am leaving the country tomorrow (I was lying).
    3: perhaps you could take some time to think about this, and talk to your friends.
    Me: no, I want to cancel this.
    3: but, you will lose the chance to transfer the line to a friend/relative.
    Me: I know, I just want to cancel it.
    3: sure, hold on a second.
    (holding 3 minutes)
    3: how are you feeling today?
    Me: Great. Can we proceed?
    3: yes, are you ok?
    Me: yes, please, can we proceed?
    3: there is one problem, you will have to pay an early termination fee.
    Me: yes, no problem.
    3: so, it is better if you transfer the line to a relative or a friend…
    Me: mate, please I just want to cancel this line (I was begging at this point)
    3: sure, let’s cancel it then, please hold while I do it.
    (holding for 7 minutes)

It went on a bit more… he did not do it!!! Then he transferred me to another person that made the cancellation itself after I paid the penalty…
    (this was the conversation with just one guy, in total it was 3 guys, and they all acted like that…).

I think is offensive to ask the same questions repeatedly to force the caller to cancel the call. Each of them told me I was a beloved customer at least twice… each of them asked me how I was at least twice… One guy even said “you are like family to me”, “you are part of the THREE family”.
    I might be wrong, but I think it is offensive to have to be over 50 minutes on the phone to cancel the service.
    Originally posted by chichi1978

Wow! If you think thats abusive you have obviously NEVER worked in a call centre I've been called all sorts. TBH I think they sound like they were trying to be nice. The fact that you go out of your way to comment on the accent of each person tells me all i need to know about you
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Date 27/04/2013

WW - Start Weight 15.1 Goal 10.10 loss so far 9lbs
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 7th Aug 18, 6:49 PM
    • 8,848 Posts
    • 6,587 Thanks
    pmduk
    The OP mistakenly believes that call centre agents are there to pander to his/her bidding. They're there to follow their management's instructions.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 7th Aug 18, 10:16 PM
    • 4,052 Posts
    • 2,856 Thanks
    boatman
    The fact that you go out of your way to comment on the accent of each person tells me all i need to know about you
    Originally posted by Faith177
    The op said about all 3 guys, 'guy with Indian accent', in what way is that any different from saying, 'guy with Scottish accent', or ' guy with Geordie accent'?

I certainly think it could be argued that '3' are pushing the boundaries of OFCOM reg:
    "Communications Providers shall ensure that conditions or procedures for contract termination do not act as disincentives for End-Users against changing their Communications Provider."

You should not have to stay on the phone for 50 minutes to cancel a contract, when a 20 word email could suffice.
    • Faith177
    • By Faith177 7th Aug 18, 11:18 PM
    • 2,552 Posts
    • 4,082 Thanks
    Faith177
    [QUOTE=boatman;74631025]The op said about all 3 guys, 'guy with Indian accent', in what way is that any different from saying, 'guy with Scottish accent', or ' guy with Geordie accent'?

I certainly think it could be argued that '3' are pushing the boundaries of OFCOM reg:
    "Communications Providers shall ensure that conditions or procedures for contract termination do not act as disincentives for End-Users against changing their Communications Provider."

You should not have to stay on the phone for 50 minutes to cancel a contract, when a 20 word email could suffice.[/QUOTE

In this situation there is no need to mention their accents at all it is completely irrelevant

All companies transfer you to various departments to cancel granted it’s no ideal but it’s too be accepted and no point getting bent out of shape over what to me seemed a reasonable call with no evidence of abuse
    First Date 08/11/2008, Moved In Together 01/06/2009, Engaged 01/01/10, Wedding Date 27/04/2013

WW - Start Weight 15.1 Goal 10.10 loss so far 9lbs
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 8th Aug 18, 7:54 AM
    • 8,848 Posts
    • 6,587 Thanks
    pmduk
    It's ironic because Three's CEO, David Dyson, is so vociferous about a consumer's right to easily change networks, he should be putting his own house in order.
    • prowla
    • By prowla 8th Aug 18, 9:17 AM
    • 10,003 Posts
    • 8,189 Thanks
    prowla
    Nothing abusive there.
    • boatman
    • By boatman 9th Aug 18, 11:28 AM
    • 4,052 Posts
    • 2,856 Thanks
    boatman
    It's ironic because Three's CEO, David Dyson, is so vociferous about a consumer's right to easily change networks, he should be putting his own house in order.
    Originally posted by pmduk
    From OFCOM:

5. We consider that to act as a "disincentive" a condition or procedure does not necessarily have to prevent an end-user from terminating (although it may do so). A condition or procedure could cause unreasonable effort, hassle or undue difficulty when seeking to terminate a contract such that it acts as a disincentive for an end-user even if that end-user ultimately still completes a switch of provider.

6. We recognise that some end-users contacting CPs about ending their services will have
    chosen to do so in order to have a conversation about any offers or options available to them and to take advantage of any discounts that the CP might provide as a result of those
    conversations. This can be beneficial to the consumers concerned, and we are not seeking to prevent these conversations for those end-users who wish to have them. However, we are
    also aware that other end-users want to terminate their services without having these conversations and in those circumstances prolonged retention activity may act as a
    disincentive. CPs should consider the needs of these end-users within their conditions and procedures to ensure that they do not act as a disincentive against changing CP.

I think we can be certain OFCOM have implemented this change because of the tactics by phone companies, proof if proof were needed that they are out of contral, all change October!!

https://www.ofcom.org.uk/__data/assets/pdf_file/0016/112282/Guidance-under-General-Condition-C1-contract-requirements.pdf
    Last edited by boatman; 09-08-2018 at 11:31 AM. Reason: ii
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,625Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin