Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Ruth Kitching
    • By Ruth Kitching 6th Aug 18, 7:08 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Ruth Kitching
    Car loan - ppi
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:08 PM
    Car loan - ppi 6th Aug 18 at 7:08 PM
    Really need help please guys. I really don't know what to do where or who to turn to. Any advice gratefully received.

I took out car loan (s) in 1990's under my maiden name of Wade. I know ppi was added to the loan as I was told it was compulsory due to the economic climate at the time. I was young and naive and didn't question. I do not know which car finance company it was and my old bank account closed when i married. I don't recall the car loan(s) being with a bank it was just with a finance company.

Sorry I know this is vague and I have zero paperwork as the loan was paid off and ultimately the car traded in. How can I check? Who do i ask for the next stage?
Page 1
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 6th Aug 18, 7:15 PM
    • 93,947 Posts
    • 61,724 Thanks
    dunstonh
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:15 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:15 PM
    I do not know which car finance company it was
    That isnt important as it the finance company is not responsible. The car dealer is.

Who do i ask for the next stage?
    The car dealer is the one you complain to. However, car dealers were not regulated until January 2005. So, you should expect them to reject your complaint. It is almost certain that the dealer will have no records on the sale from 20 years ago.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • Ruth Kitching
    • By Ruth Kitching 6th Aug 18, 7:56 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Ruth Kitching
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:56 PM
    Oooh ek
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:56 PM
    Regrettably the car sales place has ceased to be too.
    • societys child
    • By societys child 6th Aug 18, 8:34 PM
    • 5,269 Posts
    • 5,836 Thanks
    societys child
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:34 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:34 PM
    Forget it. Sorry, but there is nowhere to go with this.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,657Posts Today

7,693Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin