Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Starbrite
    • By Starbrite 6th Aug 18, 6:49 PM
    • 638Posts
    • 1,360Thanks
    Starbrite
    Am in debt
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:49 PM
    Am in debt 6th Aug 18 at 6:49 PM
    Hi I am Starbrite and I am in debt,

Wow I said that out loud... Have been kidding myself with this matter for just under a year now.

My debt is two credit cards totaling 6,487.00, wow that is sobering looking at that

I have a Virgin CC at 18.33% - 2,932.21

MNBA at -

Card purchases - 24.9% - 2,370.58

Balance Transfers - 26.9% - 1,297.15

Total - 3,554.79

I have a halifax card, with zero balance, I can transfer 2,000 too and have 0% interest for 12 months....

My question is: If I transfer over 2,000 from the MBNA card to the 0% Halifax, that will help me pay this of as I will be paying slightly less interest

Or shall I keep them as they are?
    Saving 2,000 in 2013!
Page 1
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 6th Aug 18, 6:56 PM
    • 1,836 Posts
    • 1,419 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:56 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:56 PM
    My debt is two credit cards totaling 6,487.00, wow that is sobering looking at that

I have a Virgin CC at 18.33% - 2,932.21

MNBA at -
    Card purchases - 24.9% - 2,370.58

Balance Transfers - 26.9% - 1,297.15

Total - 3,554.79

I have a halifax card, with zero balance, I can transfer 2,000 too and have 0% interest for 12 months....

My question is: If I transfer over 2,000 from the MBNA card to the 0% Halifax, that will help me pay this of as I will be paying slightly less interest
    Originally posted by Starbrite
    Hi Starbrite,

Yes, do the transfer to the Halifax card and then pay minimum payments to the virgin card. Pour the money that you are saving in interest into the MBNA remaining balance. Just snowball that debt.

Are you okay budgeting? Or are you going to find it difficult not to increase the debt?
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• Starbrite
    • By Starbrite 6th Aug 18, 7:01 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 1,360 Thanks
    Starbrite
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:01 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:01 PM
    Hi Starbrite,

Yes, do the transfer to the Halifax card and then pay minimum payments to the virgin card. Pour the money that you are saving in interest into the MBNA remaining balance. Just snowball that debt.

Are you okay budgeting? Or are you going to find it difficult not to increase the debt?
    Originally posted by Willing2Learn

Thank you that is what I was thinking, yet needed some reassurance...

I'm now going to the bank of mum rather than the actual bank when short, have got my outgoings down to as min as possible, Just need that all evasive job to get out of this rut... It will happen, it has too

Thank you xx
    Saving 2,000 in 2013!
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 6th Aug 18, 7:02 PM
    • 33,151 Posts
    • 20,872 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:02 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:02 PM
    Starbrite yes move as much of the debt as you can to the card but don't add to the debt as you will be back where you are. You will need to restrict your spending.
    • Starbrite
    • By Starbrite 6th Aug 18, 7:23 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 1,360 Thanks
    Starbrite
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:23 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:23 PM
    Fabalous, just requested for 1,900 to be transfered over as that is the max I can transfer

Thank you xx
    Saving 2,000 in 2013!
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 6th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    • 33,151 Posts
    • 20,872 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:19 PM
    Fabalous, just requested for 1,900 to be transfered over as that is the max I can transfer

Thank you xx
    Originally posted by Starbrite

Is the card 0% for transfers ?
    • Teamocil
    • By Teamocil 6th Aug 18, 9:31 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 72 Thanks
    Teamocil
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:31 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:31 PM
    Wait! Why do you need to use the Halifax card for transfers when there are much better offers out there?
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 6th Aug 18, 10:41 PM
    • 7,404 Posts
    • 16,345 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:41 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:41 PM
    Are you employed and what is your credit record like? The interest rates are high on both cards and although moving 1900 to 0% is good moving the rest of it would be even better.

Stopping using the cards is essential and budgeting to live within your income.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 7th Aug 18, 11:59 AM
    • 3,133 Posts
    • 8,173 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:59 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 11:59 AM
    Wait! Why do you need to use the Halifax card for transfers when there are much better offers out there?
    Originally posted by Teamocil
    OP mentioned needing a job so this is probably the best they can achieve till that happens
    • Goudy
    • By Goudy 8th Aug 18, 8:59 AM
    • 33 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    Goudy
    I'm not saying this works for everyone, but there are ways to make your money and 0% balance transfers cards work even harder for you.

Transfer the balance and set up a DD for minimum payment every month.
    As long as you pay the minimum every month they won't alter this 0% rate until the end of the agreed period.

Work out what you would need to save every month and add in the interest that will service the debt before the end of the transfer period.

Then use the savings and interest to pay off the balance.

At the moment Nationwide's Flex Saver pays 5% with a max 250 a month deposit over 12 months.
    Saving that will add 144 to your savings in 12 months.

If you are worried about dipping into the savings, something like Leeds BS regular saver pays 2.55% but you can only make one withdrawal in 12 months.

I tackled nearly 6000 worth of debt in 12 months with a 0% card and using regular saver accounts.
    I saved around 37% compared to making normal payments to the original interest attracting card.
    Last edited by Goudy; 08-08-2018 at 9:09 AM.
    • Starbrite
    • By Starbrite 9th Aug 18, 6:42 PM
    • 638 Posts
    • 1,360 Thanks
    Starbrite
    Yes all fantastic when you have an income coming in!

Alas I am currently unemployed, picking up temp work when I can. Circumstances got me when I am today.

Graduated uni in July 2017, struggled to find a full time job, had part time job, put the surplus each month on the CC in the hope I will get a job sooner rather than later. Took until Jan to get a full time job which is/was low paying 18,500 1,300 a month after tax. I worked 40+ hours a week on a roat basis so was impossible to get a 2nd job to help with the short comings.

Feb I stupidly missed a payment on the Virgin CC therefore lost my 0%, I made the payment a week earlier than the due date not realising...

Have tried since Jan to move the cards to 0% with no luck, this is the only option I have to move a chunk, ok be it a small chunk to a 0% card.

I am aware on how to budget and live within my means, but when your wages don't cover the bills, fuel and food it is very hard to...

Here are my outgoings:

Rent - 520.00 a month
    Council tax - 107.00 a month

Water - 20.00 a month
    Elec -20.00 a month
    Gas - 22.87 a month

Mobile - 20.00 a month
    TV License - 12.37 a month
    Car insurance - 56.19 a month - all paid up starts again end of sept
    Broadband - 25.00 a month
    Saving plan - 25.00 a month

Total 841.91

Then I have my credit card payments, food and fuel.

Fuel my mum has been helping me out, food I shop at Aldi/Lidi

If anyone can suggest anything I open to suggestions... Love to change my council tax supplier!
    Saving 2,000 in 2013!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

464Posts Today

4,146Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I'm fed up with this "you're stupid of you disagree with my Brexit view" mentality from BOTH sides. I've met cleve? https://t.co/IWg19B2a8t

• Today's poll: If we ignore PM's Brexit deal (as many seem to) and make it a stark choice - 2nd referendum (aka peo? https://t.co/xyYpsn3avl

• How kind of you to send this tweet. With rhymes a plenty, giving heartstrings a tug. Reading through it was such a? https://t.co/vQxfSWAz1u

• Follow Martin