Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chattygirl
    • By Chattygirl 6th Aug 18, 6:41 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Chattygirl
    Help to Buy ISAs
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:41 PM
    Help to Buy ISAs 6th Aug 18 at 6:41 PM
    Can someone give me advice on an help to buy ISA. I believe the most you can open one with is 1200 and max 200 per month. If I have 4,000 to save towards a deposit for a house, and want to save 200 per month. What is the best way to maximise my money prior to buying a house, hopefully next year. Should I put 3000 in a high interest account and then move it all into a Lifetime ISA closer to the time? All suggestions welcome
    Last edited by Chattygirl; 06-08-2018 at 6:51 PM. Reason: additional information
Page 1
    • Rich2808
    • By Rich2808 6th Aug 18, 7:08 PM
    • 639 Posts
    • 486 Thanks
    Rich2808
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:08 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:08 PM
    Unless you want to buy a house in the next few months - or are over 40 - a lifetime isa is a better bet particularly outside London where the property limit is 450k (vs 250k for the HTB isa).

You can invest your full 4000 straight away and qualify for a 1k bonus at the end of the tax year - and then use it for a purchase in the next tax year. If you opened a help to buy isa you could only invest 3,000 by 5 April 2019 - which would only accrue a 750 bonus.

Of course you could also keep the 4k in a high interest current account until March as you suggest - and then pay it into your lifetime isa as a lump sum.

If you go for the cash version a lifetime isa will pay less interest - but not 250 less interest!
    Last edited by Rich2808; 06-08-2018 at 7:10 PM.
    • frankmassiebonsai
    • By frankmassiebonsai 6th Aug 18, 7:29 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 7 Thanks
    frankmassiebonsai
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:29 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:29 PM
    Although, its worth opening the LISA with 1 now to get the one year clock started. Just remember to only pay in up to 3999 later in the year.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

152Posts Today

1,340Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin