Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • leighdj
    • By leighdj 6th Aug 18, 6:36 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    leighdj
    A tale of WLC Auctions and 2 Rolex watches...
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:36 PM
    A tale of WLC Auctions and 2 Rolex watches... 6th Aug 18 at 6:36 PM
    Hello all,
    Desperately in need of some help as I've got myself in quite a predicament here.

Back in April, I went along to a WLC auction that took place in Norwich. I was quite excited with some of the prices that were on offer at the time, but have since found they are rather good at generating hype in the auction room - that may not match reality, and use some very underhand selling tactics if you search Google for them.

I did some basic research before hand and thought I could make a bit of a profit on a couple of the Rolex watches on sale. I purchased 2 which came to roughly 11k including the commission fees on a mix of debit & credit cards.

Soon after, I realised I'd made a huge mistake and bid way over what I should have done. In hindsight I'd think I wasn't thinking straight - I say this as I a couple of weeks later had a mental health breakdown and ended up in A&E, so I'd say now I wasn't in a sound mind when I purchased the products.

I hid them away - embarrased on what to do next for months. In July, I decided to try and recoup some of the money lost in this debarcle by taking them to a local auctioneers (basically to just get rid of them.) They reviewed the items and now I've been told they aren't genuine pieces.

Now I'm at my wits end about where to go to next. I agree I've made a very stupid decision buying them in the first place, but I really just need advice on where I go next. I cannot remember any references to the auction being exempt from the Sale of Goods Act, but as it occured so long ago - I can't accurately remember.

Any help would be really appreciated.
    Last edited by leighdj; 06-08-2018 at 9:33 PM.
Page 2
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 7th Aug 18, 7:10 AM
    • 11,820 Posts
    • 8,558 Thanks
    neilmcl
    Auction didn't have any catalogues
    Originally posted by leighdj
    I bet they did.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 7th Aug 18, 8:55 AM
    • 9,305 Posts
    • 13,533 Thanks
    meer53
    Their website would alert me to the fact that all may not be as it seems !
    • NotRichAtAll
    • By NotRichAtAll 7th Aug 18, 10:14 AM
    • 755 Posts
    • 638 Thanks
    NotRichAtAll
    I think your tale stinks of buyers remorse

I was quite excited
    I did some basic research before hand and thought I could make a bit of a profit on a couple of the Rolex watches on sale.
    Oh wait i just spent 11K

I realised I'd made a huge mistake
    i bought fakes damm google for giving me false research information, i think i am gonna have a bleedin breakdown am 11k down and have 2 snide watches.

but anyway despite my sacrasm i do hope you are able to recoup some of your losses, wlc website seems broken, but they do have a facebook page
    https://en-gb.facebook.com/WLC-Auctions-121656684709116/

and it also looks like they have an online only site
    https://www.wlconlineauctions.co.uk/
    • hollydays
    • By hollydays 7th Aug 18, 4:13 PM
    • 16,439 Posts
    • 12,530 Thanks
    hollydays
    At this point the op is not saying they aren't genuine.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 7th Aug 18, 8:43 PM
    • 21,214 Posts
    • 17,030 Thanks
    agrinnall
    At this point the op is not saying they aren't genuine.
    Originally posted by hollydays

I think it's implied by

They reviewed the items and now I've been told they aren't genuine pieces.
    Originally posted by leighdj
    • camelot1971
    • By camelot1971 7th Aug 18, 9:48 PM
    • 903 Posts
    • 1,383 Thanks
    camelot1971
    I don't really get why anyone would buy a Rolex from an auction without box, papers and a serial number to cross reference with Rolex themselves.

Anyway, I don't think we are getting the full story here (imagine that). You would have to be a supreme idiot to splash thousands at an auction without clearly knowing what you are doing.

The auction would have to have a catalogue with descriptions etc else how do people know to come along and bid? Without pictures, a link to the catalogue and a transcript of what was said in the auction it's very difficult to help the OP further.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 8th Aug 18, 8:02 PM
    • 11,110 Posts
    • 9,459 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    The auction would have to have a catalogue with descriptions etc else how do people know to come along and bid? Without pictures, a link to the catalogue and a transcript of what was said in the auction it's very difficult to help the OP further.
    Originally posted by camelot1971
    These type of auctions are often advertised in local press, half or full page ad, which will highlight what is being auctioned with often "come and buy me" guide prices.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,199Posts Today

7,375Users online

Martin's Twitter