Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CruisingSaver
    • By CruisingSaver 6th Aug 18, 5:20 PM
    • 384Posts
    • 1,063Thanks
    CruisingSaver
    0 WOW
    Flight to JFK - Virgin or TC?
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:20 PM
    0 WOW
    Flight to JFK - Virgin or TC? 6th Aug 18 at 5:20 PM
    I'm in the early stages of planning a trip to New York next year with my daughter and currently looking at flights from Manchester to JFK with either Virgin Atlantic or Thomas Cook. I haven't flown long haul for about 25 years so my experience is somewhat out of date.

I'd prefer to have a cabin layout of 2-4-2, so I don't have a stranger virtually sat on my knee, which would mean having to fly premium economy with Virgin which is coming out at around 1,700 for the 2 of us.

On the other hand I can get premium economy with Thomas Cook for around 1,120 for 2.

TC land at JFK a couple of hours earlier than Virgin but the return flights arrive back in Manchester at broadly similar times.

Is it worth paying the extra to fly with Virgin or will Thomas Cook provide a comparable flight experience?
Page 1
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 6th Aug 18, 6:05 PM
    • 460 Posts
    • 238 Thanks
    stevie11
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:05 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:05 PM
    If I was in the same position I would go for the TC option all being equal and save the 600 for spending money etc. Do TC offer emergency exits or bulkhead with a small supplement, that way you get the extra leg room and pre book your seats together.

If you are happy paying the premium economy then you may feel the extra is worth paying.

Are the two options due to direct flights or would you consider indirect flights?
    • CruisingSaver
    • By CruisingSaver 6th Aug 18, 6:22 PM
    • 384 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    CruisingSaver
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:22 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:22 PM
    If I was in the same position I would go for the TC option all being equal and save the 600 for spending money etc. Do TC offer emergency exits or bulkhead with a small supplement, that way you get the extra leg room and pre book your seats together.

If you are happy paying the premium economy then you may feel the extra is worth paying.

Are the two options due to direct flights or would you consider indirect flights?
    Originally posted by stevie11

I think I'd prefer direct flights just because its quicker getting there and back.

Yes TC offer extra legroom seats for 35 ish. One option I'm considering is flying out in economy and booking extra legroom seats but flying home in premium as you get a bigger luggage allowance and as I'm going with a teenager I suspect I might need it!
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 6th Aug 18, 6:53 PM
    • 25,092 Posts
    • 12,345 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:53 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:53 PM
    This is purely my opinion - I would get the cheapest flight possible and the money I saved on those would get spent at Macy's and other NY stores!
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • CruisingSaver
    • By CruisingSaver 6th Aug 18, 7:08 PM
    • 384 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    CruisingSaver
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:08 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:08 PM
    This is purely my opinion - I would get the cheapest flight possible and the money I saved on those would get spent at Macy's and other NY stores!
    Originally posted by jonesMUFCforever

Haha! I think that will be the teenager's response too .
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 6th Aug 18, 8:36 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:36 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:36 PM
    I'm currently looking to book for Feb next year.

I'm going Economy Delight with Virgin (extra leg room seats, and these seats are in 2's & priority check in and boarding). We were going to fly premium, but going economy delight instead and spending the difference going to a ice hockey game amongst other things!
    • macman
    • By macman 6th Aug 18, 9:38 PM
    • 42,331 Posts
    • 17,703 Thanks
    macman
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:38 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:38 PM
    Have you considered Newark rather than JFK?
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • bleepandbooster
    • By bleepandbooster 6th Aug 18, 9:56 PM
    • 441 Posts
    • 223 Thanks
    bleepandbooster
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:56 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:56 PM
    Have you looked at Aer Lingus ? US immigration done and dusted in Dublin, Air train to Jamaica, then either Subway or LIRR to Madhatton.

Cofion
    David
    • michele-p
    • By michele-p 6th Aug 18, 10:46 PM
    • 713 Posts
    • 706 Thanks
    michele-p
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:46 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:46 PM
    We flew man to JFK in economy when they first started the flights. On the way out we booked the first row bulkhead seat and extra legroom seat on the aisle. It was great, I took the bulkhead, which does have a bit restricted legroom, but I just put my legs over the bulk and used it as a footrest.

I can't fault the flight or the service. Both ways were excellent. We flew home in normal seats, just the 2 together which was still OK.

We landed around 9am, but neither of us can sleep on planes, so we had a long drive back to Norfolk, slept under a tree in the services for an hour or so as it was red hot!

I cant comment on premium seats though.
    • Indout96
    • By Indout96 7th Aug 18, 10:30 AM
    • 1,828 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    Indout96
    One option I'm considering is flying out in economy and booking extra legroom seats but flying home in premium as you get a bigger luggage allowance and as I'm going with a teenager I suspect I might need it!
    Originally posted by CruisingSaver
    This is what we have just done to Vegas next year - extra legroom was 65 each - moving to PE was 73 so 8 more but going from 23kg luggage to 32kg

Don't forget shopping in Century 21 - not as cheap as it was but still some great bargains.
    Understeer is when the front of the car hits the wall.
    Oversteer is when the back of the car hits the wall
    BHP is how fast you hit the wall
    Torque is how far you take the wall after you hit it.
    • CruisingSaver
    • By CruisingSaver 7th Aug 18, 10:32 AM
    • 384 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    CruisingSaver
    Have you considered Newark rather than JFK?
    Originally posted by macman

I haven't but will look into it, Thanks.
    • CruisingSaver
    • By CruisingSaver 7th Aug 18, 10:35 AM
    • 384 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    CruisingSaver
    Thanks for everyone's help, really useful x
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 7th Aug 18, 12:16 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    What does one do in New York for more than a few days?
    When we go, we try to fit a few different places in. Dependent on the time allocated, at least three.
    The previous visit included New York, Miami, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and the British Virgin Islands in one trip. Total cost of flights around 500, if I remember correctly. Perhaps 550.

So spending more to just go to one city almost seems a waste. Like flying from the USA to the UK just to visit London.
    • CruisingSaver
    • By CruisingSaver 7th Aug 18, 5:32 PM
    • 384 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    CruisingSaver
    What does one do in New York for more than a few days?
    When we go, we try to fit a few different places in. Dependent on the time allocated, at least three.
    The previous visit included New York, Miami, Puerto Rico, US Virgin Islands and the British Virgin Islands in one trip. Total cost of flights around 500, if I remember correctly. Perhaps 550.

So spending more to just go to one city almost seems a waste. Like flying from the USA to the UK just to visit London.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere

I've been to a fair few places in the US and Caribbean as we've cruised a lot over the last 15 years or so. Neither of us have ever been to New York and have wanted to go for a long time so decided to focus on that.

Hopefully you enjoyed BVI, Tortola is one of my most favourite places I've been to.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 7th Aug 18, 5:43 PM
    • 631 Posts
    • 294 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    I've been to a fair few places in the US and Caribbean as we've cruised a lot over the last 15 years or so. Neither of us have ever been to New York and have wanted to go for a long time so decided to focus on that.

Hopefully you enjoyed BVI, Tortola is one of my most favourite places I've been to.
    Originally posted by CruisingSaver
    It wasn't unpleasant. Was girlfriend's birthday present.

New York; I enjoyed the eating. Girlfriend enjoyed the sight-seeing. Girls eh? Of course she also enjoyed the eating, to a certain extent. Sometimes the portions were too much.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 7th Aug 18, 9:53 PM
    • 4,472 Posts
    • 38,933 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Earlier this year flew out to Bridgetown with Thomas Cook chartered- premium. I really couldn't fault the flight (9 +1/2 hours) Good leg room, good food (IMHO- some one else said it was inedible!) very helpful cabin crew. Limitless drinkies- but perhaps the cruise line paid for those!
    Actually the economy looked reasonable and folk had certainly paid only slightly extra to have the leg room by emergency exits.
    Can't comment on Virgin- never used.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..4342 cc+.2415mm (2.41.5) + RK 5.21= 30.64.5
    • Indout96
    • By Indout96 8th Aug 18, 8:57 AM
    • 1,828 Posts
    • 2,614 Thanks
    Indout96
    The proper "extra" legroom seats on TC are normally 65 longhaul, the 25 seats tend to be one good seat and 1 slightly less good seat by the actual door.
    Also don't forget these (25) are generally where people stand waiting for toilets so less room in reality than you expect from looking at the seat plan..
    Understeer is when the front of the car hits the wall.
    Oversteer is when the back of the car hits the wall
    BHP is how fast you hit the wall
    Torque is how far you take the wall after you hit it.
    • CruisingSaver
    • By CruisingSaver 8th Aug 18, 4:15 PM
    • 384 Posts
    • 1,063 Thanks
    CruisingSaver
    The proper "extra" legroom seats on TC are normally 65 longhaul, the 25 seats tend to be one good seat and 1 slightly less good seat by the actual door.
    Also don't forget these (25) are generally where people stand waiting for toilets so less room in reality than you expect from looking at the seat plan..
    Originally posted by Indout96
    You're quite right the extra legroom ones are 65 each. I'll need to start a list of everything
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 8th Aug 18, 5:44 PM
    • 1,184 Posts
    • 604 Thanks
    Ganga
    Originally posted by Indout96

When we book these seats i always strech out my legs and refuse to move them,after all whats the point of paying for something that you cannot use.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

116Posts Today

2,217Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin