Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Josquin
    • By Josquin 6th Aug 18, 5:06 PM
    • 13Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Josquin
    Brexit
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:06 PM
    Brexit 6th Aug 18 at 5:06 PM
    Hi

With the pound sinking further and further, is it

worth putting savings into a EU bank account?

Has anyone done this?

How is it done?

Many thanks
Page 2
    • dividendhero
    • By dividendhero 7th Aug 18, 10:51 AM
    • 273 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    dividendhero
    There is also no doubt that this information is available to everyone, so it's likely to be already in the price, together with all other foreseeable possibilities.
    Originally posted by FatherAbraham
    I do follow that point, but sterling has been declining against harder currencies like the Swiss Franc for decades, yes there's been ups & downs - but the trend is downwards.

If it was as simple as all the information already been baked into the price, then why do currencies like the Turkish Lira continually decline?
    • Linton
    • By Linton 7th Aug 18, 12:20 PM
    • 9,820 Posts
    • 10,075 Thanks
    Linton
    I do follow that point, but sterling has been declining against harder currencies like the Swiss Franc for decades, yes there's been ups & downs - but the trend is downwards.

If it was as simple as all the information already been baked into the price, then why do currencies like the Turkish Lira continually decline?
    Originally posted by dividendhero

It is a balance between the situation now and the predicted situation at some time in the future and between currency speculation and the exchange of currencies for trade. Currency rates cannot become too out of kilter with the relative cost of goods and services. For example, if the Turkish Lira was too cheap now Turkey's exports would be extremely good value. $s, s and Euros would flood into the country and be exchanged by the locals for Turkish Lira. This would push up the price of the Lira.

This doesnt work if there is little trade. I remember being in Ecuador ( which I believe produced sufficient oil for its own use and not a lot else) many years ago and calcuating that the cost of diesel at service stations was rather less than the global market cost of crude oil.
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 7th Aug 18, 12:46 PM
    • 3,366 Posts
    • 2,697 Thanks
    Alexland

Originally posted by dividendhero
    Markets only tend to price in the next 30 months or so. Even if we knew for sure the world was going to end in 5 years markets might not start pricing it for a few more years. That's why global warming and the predicted end of oil make very little difference to share prices, they are too far out.

Alex
    • Josquin
    • By Josquin 7th Aug 18, 4:38 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Josquin
    Thanks everyone.

Very interesting stuff.
    • Josquin
    • By Josquin 7th Aug 18, 4:40 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Josquin
    Hi

Any eaxamples of how that can be done?

cheers
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 7th Aug 18, 5:57 PM
    • 8,210 Posts
    • 9,213 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Any eaxamples of how that can be done?
    Originally posted by Josquin
    How what can be done?

It's not clear from your post who you were replying to, so if you want your posts to make sense then the best thing is to use the quote button (as I have here) to include some or all of the post being referred to, otherwise your post has no context....
    • Apodemus
    • By Apodemus 7th Aug 18, 8:48 PM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 888 Thanks
    Apodemus
    How what can be done?...
    Originally posted by eskbanker
    Clearly it was:

...the world is going to end in five years...
    by alexland
    ...and the answer is SpaceX shares!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,487Posts Today

8,157Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @kelsher123: @MartinSLewis First time switcher! And no, it wasn?t as challenging as I thought???? A British Gas customer so no brainier. Th?

• Agreed but by marketing it as cough specific people think there's something extra so they buy this rather than gene? https://t.co/hATY3W8Yia

• Good news for those aggressively criticising this poll and trying to pull it apart. I've just got off a 3 way call? https://t.co/Pu750aktyg

• Follow Martin