Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • snnl
    • By snnl 6th Aug 18, 4:56 PM
    • 54Posts
    • 37Thanks
    snnl
    AC Fan
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:56 PM
    AC Fan 6th Aug 18 at 4:56 PM
    So heres a question regarding the AC and the fan strength on a 2011 Vauxhall Meriva 1.4 petrol - the family car.

The AC has never been 'cold' it only ever really blew cool air out so we decided to get the care re-gassed during this hot weather. This was done today by ATS with no issues reported, all went smoothly and got the car back.

The cars AC now blows nice cold air, however there is little force from the fans themselves. Even on max setting it makes a lot of noise but not a lot of air flow. We thought it was because the AC was low, obviously not! Being hot, this is the only time we've ever really tested the fans out on high to know it blows poorly.

What could be wrong with the fans, what can i check myself? I have had a quick google but nothing comes up and im probably searching the wrong words!

Cheers
Page 1
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 6th Aug 18, 5:02 PM
    • 1,450 Posts
    • 891 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:02 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:02 PM
    The AC has nothing to do with the fan strength. The fans in the heating/cooling system should blow the same amount whether the AC is on or off. Do they?
    • Ganga
    • By Ganga 6th Aug 18, 5:28 PM
    • 1,308 Posts
    • 686 Thanks
    Ganga
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:28 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:28 PM
    Is there a pollen filter in the system that need changing,with the A/C off does the heating/cooling fan blow hard enough.
    ITS NOT EASY TO GET EVERYTHING WRONG ,I HAVE TO WORK HARD TO DO IT!
    • facade
    • By facade 6th Aug 18, 5:42 PM
    • 3,493 Posts
    • 1,836 Thanks
    facade
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:42 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:42 PM
    Change the pollen filter, these block up and reduce airflow, usually causing the speed control unit to overheat and burn out (or in a Zafira, set the car on fire)

If it still does it, it could be a problem with the position of the flaps that control the air flow, but go for a new filter first.

EDIT:need to type faster.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • snnl
    • By snnl 7th Aug 18, 8:56 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    snnl
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:56 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:56 AM
    Cheers for the tips, the fans blow at one speed whether the AC is on or off, only when you turn it round to max (6) does it attempt to blow harder.

i'll change the pollen filter over, but also read that a resistor might have burnt out causing it to blow at one speed so will do that at the same time if i can find parts.
    • Aylesbury Duck
    • By Aylesbury Duck 7th Aug 18, 10:02 AM
    • 2,369 Posts
    • 3,163 Thanks
    Aylesbury Duck
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:02 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:02 AM
    The same thing happened to my car last winter and when I removed the glove box to inspect the filter, I could see leaves sticking out. The filter itself was rammed with leaves and on closer inspection, a section had been hollowed out. Mice. I park my car in the garage and in the winter, the warm engine bay was clearly attractive to mice and they had carefully transported leaves into the filter area as bedding material. The packed filter was impeding airflow and stopping the fan getting up to speed. Thankfully they hadn't caused any other damage so a new filter, a clearout of the air pipes around it and some mousetraps in the garage have cured the problem.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

553Posts Today

5,588Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • May I state with absolute authority and conviction that my poll is worthless. It never purports to be of worth - w? https://t.co/acXRTGUH4z

• RT @BBCkatyaadler: Importent to remember in all furore over possibly extending transition that there will be no transition period at all if?

• Today?s poll: If the only leave option is a NO-DEAL Brexit. Would you then support a ?People?s Vote? to decide if? https://t.co/AxswLUSNPJ

• Follow Martin