Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Wkdwill
    • By Wkdwill 6th Aug 18, 4:29 PM
    • 821Posts
    • 413Thanks
    Wkdwill
    Returning 2nd hand car to dealer within 6 months.
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:29 PM
    Returning 2nd hand car to dealer within 6 months. 6th Aug 18 at 4:29 PM
    I'm wondering if anyone could help me with something. I bought a 2nd hand car from a small dealer in March of this year.

Shortly after buying it, the dpf filter risk of blocking warning came on the dash. At the time I was unable to take the car to the garage to have a dpf regeneration done due to finances. Being in a better place now financially I had the car booked in at the garage today, where they attempted a regeneration twice to no avail, so they said they were going to remove it and clean it, however they were unable to do so as the cover has been welded to the car, as well as the lambor sensors (I could be saying things wrong here, I'm by no means a mechanic, just trying to remember what I was told on the phone) the mechanic said if it was him he would take the car back to the dealer and reject it.

Do I have grounds to do this? The mechanic has taken photos for me, he said he wouldn't be surprised if there's no dpf under the cover which means legally I can't drive it. He also mentioned a few other issues with the car, basically many repairs have been bodged, wrong spring fitted on rear suspension, air box/filter removed altogether, he's made a list anyway.

If I can return the car, what would be the best way to go about it?
Page 1
    • snnl
    • By snnl 6th Aug 18, 4:40 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    snnl
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:40 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:40 PM
    If the cover has been welded to the car, i can only assume that the car has already had the DPF removed, and welded up to prevent access and it is technically no longer needed. They probably haven't remapped the engine to tell the computer it no longer needs to do a regen cycle. Hence why they are trying and failing to do it.

Thats the only reason why i can think someone would weld it shut.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 6th Aug 18, 4:46 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:46 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:46 PM
    After five months how are you going to prove it's not something you've done?
    Hi there! We’ve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if you’re unsure why it’s been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • DrEskimo
    • By DrEskimo 6th Aug 18, 4:49 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 228 Thanks
    DrEskimo
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:49 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:49 PM
    If the cover has been welded to the car, i can only assume that the car has already had the DPF removed, and welded up to prevent access and it is technically no longer needed. They probably haven't remapped the engine to tell the computer it no longer needs to do a regen cycle. Hence why they are trying and failing to do it.

Thats the only reason why i can think someone would weld it shut.
    Originally posted by snnl
    My thoughts exactly.

New MOT testing is trying to clamp down on DPF removals, and if you get caught you can face a fine and are required to replace the DPF before a MOT can be issued.
    • peter12345678910
    • By peter12345678910 6th Aug 18, 5:36 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    peter12345678910
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:36 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:36 PM
    It may have a false lamda sensor, removing the air airbox sounds like a cold induction modification which has Tobe reported to the insurance company.
    When you look into an abyss, the abyss also looks into you.

Friedrich Nietzsche
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,515Posts Today

8,466Users online

Martin's Twitter