Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pip5678
    • By pip5678 6th Aug 18, 4:09 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    pip5678
    New Pip assessment - questions
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:09 PM
    New Pip assessment - questions 6th Aug 18 at 4:09 PM
    Hi all!

I am up for a pip assessment relatively soon.

At some point since my first assessment (two years ago) one of the checkboxes that I ticked on my assessment form became incorrect (not sure when). I only discovered this since yesterday. On my second assessment form I corrected this mistake but I should have informed them earlier. What are the potential consequences of this? I may have enough points for daily living/mobility anyway. Should I hire a lawyer? I might have actually told them but I can't remember.

Relatively recently I also received several visitors and this forced me out of the flat which I would not normally do. I became very ill as a result of this but I am concerned that somehow they will find out about that and that and they will try and punish me by saying I left the flat when I shouldn't do.

It is also a long time till the appointment and I am pretty worried about it. Any advice?
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 6th Aug 18, 4:40 PM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 3,071 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:40 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:40 PM
    Hi all!

I am up for a pip assessment relatively soon.

At some point since my first assessment (two years ago) one of the checkboxes that I ticked on my assessment form became incorrect (not sure when). I only discovered this since yesterday. On my second assessment form I corrected this mistake but I should have informed them earlier. What are the potential consequences of this? I may have enough points for daily living/mobility anyway. Should I hire a lawyer? I might have actually told them but I can't remember.

Relatively recently I also received several visitors and this forced me out of the flat which I would not normally do. I became very ill as a result of this but I am concerned that somehow they will find out about that and that and they will try and punish me by saying I left the flat when I shouldn't do.

It is also a long time till the appointment and I am pretty worried about it. Any advice?
    Originally posted by pip5678
    Do you mean your condition improved since your last assessment and you didn't inform them? Sorry but your question about the PIP form isn't clear enough.

When you move house you do need to inform them of your new address. Do you claim any other benefits?
    • pip5678
    • By pip5678 6th Aug 18, 6:24 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pip5678
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:24 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:24 PM
    Many thanks for getting back to me quickly poppy.

My condition has not improved. The question (checkbox) I am referring to doesn't really relate to how well I am. My answer was different from two years ago and I would have been on a different level of points for daily living for some unknown period of time during those two years. As my condition still entitles me to a lot of points in daily living, I don't think it is likely to matter.

My question boils down to: What are they going to do about the fact that I didn't inform them of a change (not a change in my condition) that I should have informed them of.

When I say "forced me out of the flat" I mean for a few hours not literally moving where I live. I haven't moved.

I claim ESA as well and this is the one that I have been diligent at keeping the government informed of all changes.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 6th Aug 18, 6:50 PM
    • 2,378 Posts
    • 2,760 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:50 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:50 PM
    https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/changes-that-affect-pip/

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/pip/help-with-your-claim/your-assessment/
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 6th Aug 18, 7:41 PM
    • 17,420 Posts
    • 30,674 Thanks
    Ames
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:41 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:41 PM
    I don't think that leaving the house once in two years would affect your claim.

When you talk about the tick boxes, do you mean an improvement or a worsening? How long did it last?

PIP is about the help you need at least 50% of the time. A small change, or a short lasting one, shouldn't affect your entitlement.

I'm guessing that you claim for mental health reasons and this is triggering anxiety and a lot of stress? Please don't worry and make your health worse.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • pip5678
    • By pip5678 6th Aug 18, 8:15 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pip5678
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:15 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:15 PM
    Thanks for this reply Ames.

It is hard to explain but basically "the level of help I need" slightly reduced but this should not affect the score for daily living much (but it will slightly reduce it by one or two points). If my score is on the border line then it will matter, and I will have to pay some money back at least, but I have no idea what my score is except that I think its probably not on the borderline. Additionally, I cannot give a time when the change in the level of help I needed happened (because I don't know).

My condition didn't get better or worse.

Thank you for comments, it means a lot. I don't like the position that I am in and one day (hopefully sooner rather than later) I would like to return to work.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 6th Aug 18, 9:08 PM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 3,071 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:08 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:08 PM
    Thanks for this reply Ames.

It is hard to explain but basically "the level of help I need" slightly reduced but this should not affect the score for daily living much (but it will slightly reduce it by one or two points). If my score is on the border line then it will matter, and I will have to pay some money back at least, but I have no idea what my score is except that I think its probably not on the borderline. Additionally, I cannot give a time when the change in the level of help I needed happened (because I don't know).

My condition didn't get better or worse.

Thank you for comments, it means a lot. I don't like the position that I am in and one day (hopefully sooner rather than later) I would like to return to work.
    Originally posted by pip5678
    Your posts are not making a lot of sense. First you say your condition has not improved. Then you say it slightly reduced but it will slightly reduce it by 1 or 2 points. Then you say again your condition didn't get better or worse.
    If your condition improved or "changed" enough to decrease your points to below the level of an award before your review, then you should have reported the changes. Your condition has either improved or is hasn't.

How many points did you receive for daily living on your last award? Then look at the PIP descriptors to see how many points you would score now, if the change takes you to below the level of an award then you must report the changes.

If they then decide that the you don't qualify you may have to repay some money back.
    • pip5678
    • By pip5678 7th Aug 18, 5:11 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pip5678
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:11 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 5:11 PM
    @poppy12345

There are going to be a few cases where the condition doesn't improve but the points drop. As an example, imagine you are physically disabled and unable to perform treatment on your own. You need assistance to carry out the treatment, so you gain points. Then the treatment becomes ineffective for some medical reason. You no longer require that treatment and no longer require assistance, resulting in a drop in points even though your condition has not improved (and could even have gotten worse).

To clarify as well, I said that the level of help I needed slightly reduced, I never said the condition slightly reduced.
    Last edited by pip5678; 07-08-2018 at 5:37 PM. Reason: Added the second paragraph/line
    • Ames
    • By Ames 7th Aug 18, 7:29 PM
    • 17,420 Posts
    • 30,674 Thanks
    Ames
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:29 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 7:29 PM
    I think you need face to face advice so that you can tell someone exactly what's happened, what your conditions are, what's changed, and let them guide you through it all.

Contact your local CAB or disability advice service.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • pip5678
    • By pip5678 7th Aug 18, 10:23 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    pip5678
    I definitely would benefit from advice (probably over the telephone or email in my case).

This evening I found my daily living score and the effect of not disclosing the change thankfully won't make any difference to my entitlement.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

219Posts Today

2,513Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin