Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gilett
    • By gilett 6th Aug 18, 3:58 PM
    • 27Posts
    • 96Thanks
    gilett
    Interview advice please.
    • 6th Aug 18, 3:58 PM
    Interview advice please. 6th Aug 18 at 3:58 PM
    I had an interview last week for a job I really want but came out utterly confused. What I thought was an interview wasn't. Afterwards they told me I will be asked back for a 2nd interview during which HR will be present.

This is a first for me. Has anyone had a 2 stage interview like this? Why would a second interview need HR to be present? I'm confused as to why they do it this way. I've never been interviewed by the HR of the company I want to work for before, just the standard interview and that's it.

Help
Page 1
    • engineer amy
    • By engineer amy 6th Aug 18, 4:16 PM
    • 629 Posts
    • 1,130 Thanks
    engineer amy
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:16 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:16 PM
    Happens very often! Company interviewing policies and procedures can vary wildly depending on many factors, such as the size of the company, the seniority of the role applied for, who is available to do interviews on certain days, how many candidates are being interviewed, whether the company has ever had any cases of discrimination brought after the selection process....

Our company had a role advertised that attracted a very large number of applicants - sometimes it is impossible to judge someone from just their CV, so after whittling down by the essential criteria, we invited 15 people for an initial interview. This was more of an informal chat to get an initial impression of the applicant, see how they might fit into our organisation, and was conducted by one out of the three directors, whichever was available at that timeslot. Six were then invited back for a second, more formal interview with all three directors, where the applicant was asked in depth questions, role playing, and STAR based responses.

I wouldn't panic too much, HR can simply be asked along for their professional input, or as a third party opinion. Generally being asked back for a second interview is a good sign, so good luck!
    Mortgage = 113,495 (May 2009) 72330 Feb 18
    Halifax CC 0% = 0!!! Car Loan = 0!!!!!
    PAYDBX16 #106 = 12377/12377 (100%)
    • Ozzuk
    • By Ozzuk 6th Aug 18, 4:31 PM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 2,014 Thanks
    Ozzuk
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:31 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:31 PM
    As above, usually a good sign and very common for HR to be involved as technically they are responsible for the process. You may find you'll get asked some more probing questions about how you would respond in certain situation, how well you work in a team, problem solving etc (competency based questions).
    • gilett
    • By gilett 6th Aug 18, 4:34 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    gilett
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:34 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:34 PM
    Thanks for such an in depth replies . I'm afraid panic is my default response to interviews and I had hoped the first one was the only one, but it is a very big company and does have a high turn down rate.

I'll hold my nerve for the next one and hope they don't have me jumping through too many hoops.

My nerves are going to be frazzled by then anyway lol
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 6th Aug 18, 4:59 PM
    • 6,688 Posts
    • 8,728 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:59 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:59 PM
    Good luck. As engineer Amy says, its very common, and it's generally a good sign that you have got to the second interview.

In some cases it is so that more senior members people can be involved in the second interview and the decision making process, in others it will be logistics, sometimes it is easier to have two separate meetings than to try to get everyone in the same place at the same time, sometimes it will be about who gets to negotiate what (i.e. it may be that the first interview is about people who do the job assessing whether you can do it, and the second may be more focused on the practicalities - how much do you want in salary, how soon can you start etc)
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 6th Aug 18, 5:37 PM
    • 5,247 Posts
    • 5,792 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:37 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:37 PM
    One job I applied for had 3 interviews. 2 is pretty commonplace.
    • gilett
    • By gilett 6th Aug 18, 7:32 PM
    • 27 Posts
    • 96 Thanks
    gilett
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:32 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:32 PM
    Well I feel more at ease about the second round now . After all I'll either be successful or I won't. Nothing to lose by trying.

Thank you all for the reassurance
    • Alfrescodave
    • By Alfrescodave 7th Aug 18, 10:57 AM
    • 593 Posts
    • 321 Thanks
    Alfrescodave
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:57 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 10:57 AM
    Do make sure that you are prepared for the interview- background knowledge of the company etc. And have some questions ready - not just how much is the salary and how many days holiday.

If you are prepared then confidence will follow (and panic disappear).
    • stclair
    • By stclair 7th Aug 18, 12:00 PM
    • 6,486 Posts
    • 3,433 Thanks
    stclair
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:00 PM
    • 7th Aug 18, 12:00 PM
    I had an interview last week for a job I really want but came out utterly confused. What I thought was an interview wasn't. Afterwards they told me I will be asked back for a 2nd interview during which HR will be present.

This is a first for me. Has anyone had a 2 stage interview like this? Why would a second interview need HR to be present? I'm confused as to why they do it this way. I've never been interviewed by the HR of the company I want to work for before, just the standard interview and that's it.

Help
    Originally posted by gilett
    I feel your pain... I really started a new job however in order to get an offer I had to jump through hoops!

* Online Application
    * Verbal Reasoning Test
    * Numerical Reasoning Test
    * Geography Test
    * Virtual Interview Online
    * Panel Interview consisting of 3 people
    Last edited by stclair; 07-08-2018 at 12:02 PM.
    Im an ex employee RBS Group
    However Any Opinion Given On MSE Is Strictly My Own
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,474Posts Today

8,517Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin