Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Annabee
    • By Annabee 6th Aug 18, 3:40 PM
    • 594Posts
    • 448Thanks
    Annabee
    Relative wants to have their benefits paid to my account
    • 6th Aug 18, 3:40 PM
    Relative wants to have their benefits paid to my account 6th Aug 18 at 3:40 PM
    It is a new claim (universal credit). The reason is they have broken their bank account, gone over the overdraft limit etc.

But I am not very keen, could I get in trouble?
Page 1
    • calleyw
    • By calleyw 6th Aug 18, 3:53 PM
    • 8,788 Posts
    • 15,856 Thanks
    calleyw
    • 6th Aug 18, 3:53 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 3:53 PM
    It is a new claim (universal credit). The reason is they have broken their bank account, gone over the overdraft limit etc.
    Originally posted by Annabee

Thats their problem tell them to get a basic account with one of the banks that does not allow overdrafts etc.

Then don't. Don't make their problems yours.

No way would I personally do it. Please don't even contemplate it. Just tell them no. if they ask why say because I say so.

Yours

Calley x
    Hope for everything and expect nothing!!!

Good enough is almost always good enough -Prof Barry Schwartz

If it scares you, it might be a good thing to try -Seth Godin
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 6th Aug 18, 4:05 PM
    • 3,124 Posts
    • 3,027 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:05 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:05 PM

Instead of them running away from the issue they should speak to their bank.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 6th Aug 18, 5:34 PM
    • 5,242 Posts
    • 5,788 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:34 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:34 PM
    To answer the question, no you couldn't directly get into trouble for letting have their benefit payed into your account. However I agree with the others that the relative needs to sort their finances out, not drag you into their mess.
    If you are on benefits it could raise questions about why somebody else is being paid into your account, are you a couple? etc, etc.
    If you do allow payment into your account you will have the responsibility of paying the cash over to them. Would they expect you to let them have a bank card?
    • Gravedigger
    • By Gravedigger 6th Aug 18, 6:01 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    Gravedigger
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:01 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:01 PM
    But if they've gone overdrawn on their own account, don't you think they might also do so on your account. Unless you are going to just withdraw weekly and hand it over...but then, "Hey! I'm sure we still have fifty knicker" even if they don't. Dodgy deal. DON'T do it!
    • midnight express
    • By midnight express 6th Aug 18, 6:07 PM
    • 1,163 Posts
    • 3,275 Thanks
    midnight express
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:07 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:07 PM
    Just say no.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 6th Aug 18, 6:20 PM
    • 8,370 Posts
    • 9,343 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:20 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:20 PM
    How the heck can you "break" a bank account???

I agree with the previous.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 6th Aug 18, 6:47 PM
    • 2,376 Posts
    • 2,758 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:47 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:47 PM
    Relative needs to open a basic bank account, and get debt advice -
    Stepchange - https://www.stepchange.org/

https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/basic-bank-account.aspx

Yes you could get in trouble. Look up Money Laundering, and your banks T & C's.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • venison
    • By venison 6th Aug 18, 8:00 PM
    • 2,279 Posts
    • 2,460 Thanks
    venison
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:00 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:00 PM
    I've broken many things in fact I knocked an priceless antique off the window ledge today, well the OH said it was priceless ! But never broke a bank account.
    Former Board Guide
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 6th Aug 18, 8:09 PM
    • 5,242 Posts
    • 5,788 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    Relative needs to open a basic bank account, and get debt advice -
    Stepchange - https://www.stepchange.org/

https://www.stepchange.org/debt-info/basic-bank-account.aspx

Yes you could get in trouble. Look up Money Laundering, and your banks T & C's.
    Originally posted by Alice Holt

I agree with all but the money laundering comment which is just scaremongering. If there was money other than benefits payments there might be some justification to money laundering concerns but not in this instance.
    • Alice Holt
    • By Alice Holt 6th Aug 18, 8:27 PM
    • 2,376 Posts
    • 2,758 Thanks
    Alice Holt
    I agree with all but the money laundering comment which is just scaremongering. If there was money other than benefits payments there might be some justification to money laundering concerns but not in this instance.
    Originally posted by TELLIT01
    I wouldn't be too sure about that - you are assuming the benefit payments are not fraudulent.
    It's probably very unlikely in this case - but not impossible I would think.

If the OP (or any other recipient of DWP monies) had no involvement in the benefit claim then they would have little idea if the payments were correct, or incorrect, or even fraudulent.
    From your experience of working at the DWP, would you know if an overpayment could be recovered from the person whose bank account it was credited to (even if that wasn't the claimant)?
    Last edited by Alice Holt; 06-08-2018 at 8:46 PM.
    Alice Holt Forest situated some 4 miles south of Farnham forms the most northerly gateway to the South Downs National Park.
    • ohreally
    • By ohreally 6th Aug 18, 8:34 PM
    • 6,717 Posts
    • 5,244 Thanks
    ohreally
    they have broken their bank account
    WTF?wtfwtf
    Donít be a canít, be a can.
    • Sunny Intervals
    • By Sunny Intervals 6th Aug 18, 8:45 PM
    • 55 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    Sunny Intervals
    they have broken their bank account
    WTF?
    Originally posted by ohreally

I think I did that when I was a student. At least that would explain the deep pain I felt whenever I looked at my balance.
    • kingfisherblue
    • By kingfisherblue 6th Aug 18, 9:07 PM
    • 7,837 Posts
    • 17,152 Thanks
    kingfisherblue
    When I first claimed benefits, I had to have a bank account in my own name. Recently I claimed for my son, who is severely disabled. I was told that he needed his own bank account to receive benefits. However, because he is 'severely mentally impaired', and I am his appointee, the DWP accepted that he cannot understand the terms and conditions, sign his name, etc - but his benefits have to be paid inot my accoiunt, nobody else's.

I don't think that the DWP would allow their benefits to be paid into your account. Even if they do, don't allow it. They have gone overdrawn on their own account, how long before they overdraw yours?
    • Annabee
    • By Annabee 6th Aug 18, 9:59 PM
    • 594 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    Annabee
    Thanks for all the replies. 'Broken my bank account' was the phrase my relative used. It's not the correct terminology I know, but isn't it self-explanatory?

They won't be able to overdraw on my account, because I have no intention of giving them a bank card. They haven't asked either. I don't claim benefits so it can't affect that. What I will have to do is keep a careful record of the benefit payments that go in, then pass this on in cash to them. It is an absolute pain though, and I would really rather not do it. But they lost their job a few weeks ago and have only just got around to applying for benefits (to begin with they were not in a fit mental state to do it).

If they have to wait to set up a basic bank account that will just delay things more I think? Have told them that I want them to get their own account asap though, and then tell the benefits office to move over the payments.
    • TELLIT01
    • By TELLIT01 6th Aug 18, 10:02 PM
    • 5,242 Posts
    • 5,788 Thanks
    TELLIT01
    [QUOTE=Alice Holt;74625915
    From your experience of working at the DWP, would you know if an overpayment could be recovered from the person whose bank account it was credited to (even if that wasn't the claimant)?[/QUOTE]

I don't know with certainty but I would expect DWP to be able to attempt to recover monies from the account it was paid to.
    • Annabee
    • By Annabee 6th Aug 18, 10:06 PM
    • 594 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    Annabee
    i don't think the claim could be fraudulent. I know they lost their job. I know they have no money.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 6th Aug 18, 10:26 PM
    • 25,056 Posts
    • 12,311 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    My advice - get them to open a new bank account in your their
    own name.

Why you ask? Well if a bank sees benefits being credited it may mean they will be unwilling to lend you any money such as an overdraft, loan credit card or mortgage.
    If you say the benefits are not yours you will be half way to getting your account closed.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 6th Aug 18, 10:44 PM
    • 3,124 Posts
    • 3,027 Thanks
    poppy12345
    ]i don't think the claim could be fraudulent.[/B] I know they lost their job. I know they have no money.
    by Annabee;74626362[B
    My advice, tell them to open a basic bank account. It all sounds too strange to me.
    • micky2phones
    • By micky2phones 6th Aug 18, 10:59 PM
    • 323 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    micky2phones
    Hi, just tell them you may have to pay tax on it as it would be earning ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,361Posts Today

8,523Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin