Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 6th Aug 18, 3:27 PM
    • 2,581Posts
    • 1,768Thanks
    Vortigern
    Direct Debit Guarantee
    • 6th Aug 18, 3:27 PM
    Direct Debit Guarantee 6th Aug 18 at 3:27 PM
    A house sale completed on 31 July and I advised the power supplier of final meter readings the same day.

They produced a final bill and indicated that a refund would be payable in about 14 days.

Today 6 August they've taken their usual payment by DD.

Do I:
    • Wait for power company to refund the DD?
    • Ring the power company again?
    • Go to bank and invoke the DD guarantee?

Just to complicate matters this is all done via PoA (aka PiTA)
Page 1
    • Willing2Learn
    • By Willing2Learn 6th Aug 18, 3:36 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 1,207 Thanks
    Willing2Learn
    • 6th Aug 18, 3:36 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 3:36 PM
    I'd contact the bank and request a refund as per the Direct Debit Guarantee:

If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society
    Source: Direct Debit Guarantee
    I work within the voluntary sector, supporting vulnerable people to rebuild their lives.

I love my job

• Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 6th Aug 18, 6:38 PM
    • 2,581 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    Vortigern
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:38 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:38 PM
    I'd contact the bank and request a refund as per the Direct Debit Guarantee
    Originally posted by Willing2Learn
    That certainly is my preferred course of action. I just wondered if anybody with a greater knowledge of banking processes* would suggest otherwise.

* I believe there's a 3? working day lead time for the power company to claim a direct debit, so I recognise that they might not have had time to stop this DD being claimed.

I don't want to claim from the bank, then find the power company has returned the DD payment without prompting.
    • jonesMUFCforever
    • By jonesMUFCforever 6th Aug 18, 6:45 PM
    • 25,215 Posts
    • 12,463 Thanks
    jonesMUFCforever
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:45 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:45 PM
    Then wait a few days - if no refund is forthcoming then ask for it back - telling them your new address in case they send a cheque.
    What goes around - comes around
    give lots and you will always receive lots
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 6th Aug 18, 6:58 PM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 943 Thanks
    soulsaver
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:58 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:58 PM
    I'd wait until the next DD date. You'll get refunded the in-credit amount including the recent debit.
    If you cancel the DD the credit refund will be by cheque.. and will add 10 days and a trip to the bank...and a waiting for clearing.
    • Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 6th Aug 18, 9:26 PM
    • 2,581 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    Vortigern
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:26 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:26 PM
    I'd wait until the next DD date. You'll get refunded the in-credit amount including the recent debit.
    If you cancel the DD the credit refund will be by cheque.. and will add 10 days and a trip to the bank...and a waiting for clearing.
    Originally posted by soulsaver
    I'll give them 14 days from the completion date and see how much they refund.

I know the power companies suggest not cancelling the DD "because we might need it to give a refund" but I don't believe they need a DD in place to do a refund by BGC. They ask you not to cancel the DD so they are able to collect any arrears.

@jones - The power company has my current address, and mail forwarding should take care of post to the old place.
    • colsten
    • By colsten 6th Aug 18, 9:58 PM
    • 9,315 Posts
    • 8,216 Thanks
    colsten
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:58 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:58 PM
    Similar happened to me a little while ago. I rang them (Ovo) and they instantly apologised and issued a credit transaction. They also advised I should cancel the DD with the bank, which I then did. Some time later, they issued two further credit transactions, both of which arrived electronically in my bank account even though the DD was no longer in place.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 6th Aug 18, 10:22 PM
    • 7,182 Posts
    • 15,611 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:22 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:22 PM
    Just ring or message the power company. The direct debit was probably already in the system and they did not have time to cancel it. If they do not sort it to your satisfaction then contact the bank and invoke the direct debit guarantee.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Wheres My Cashback
    • By Wheres My Cashback 7th Aug 18, 8:43 AM
    • 3,151 Posts
    • 38,079 Thanks
    Wheres My Cashback
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:43 AM
    • 7th Aug 18, 8:43 AM
    You did cancel the Dd with the bank as well?
    • Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 7th Aug 18, 11:10 PM
    • 2,581 Posts
    • 1,768 Thanks
    Vortigern
    You did cancel the Dd with the bank as well?
    Originally posted by Wheres My Cashback
    No, because the power companies say don't cancel the DD until the account is settled.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 7th Aug 18, 11:50 PM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 943 Thanks
    soulsaver

I know the power companies suggest not cancelling the DD "because we might need it to give a refund" but I don't believe they need a DD in place to do a refund by BGC. They ask you not to cancel the DD so they are able to collect any arrears.
    Originally posted by Vortigern
    It may depend on the power co's own process... however since giving the opinion, I have softened on it as First Utility, whilst they made good a DD credit on energy, they plan to totally screw up the broad band credit from a final bill overcharge... and have eaten an hour & half from my day, hanging on the phone for their 'award winning customer service'.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,147Posts Today

8,597Users online

Martin's Twitter