Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Norma Norman
    • By Norma Norman 6th Aug 18, 2:24 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Norma Norman
    Care Home fees.
    • 6th Aug 18, 2:24 PM
    Care Home fees. 6th Aug 18 at 2:24 PM
    My Mother in Law suffers from dementia and lives in sheltered accommodation. She pays all her rent, care costs, etc.

My wife is getting upset because the carers are not very good carers. They don't launder properly, don't clean the flat properly etc. We feel that it would be better if my wife did certain things like the above and say helped her have a shower things would be better. We would still leave a lot of things like taking her to and from meals in the resident lounge/dining room to the carers.
    Now, if my wife did this she would have to give up her part time job and that is not economically viable. So the thought is that if she took 500 per month to compensate for her loss of salary AND payment for providing care would this cause problems in the future when the time comes for her to enter a care home. That is, would the Local Authority try to claw back the payments my wife would receive?
Page 4
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Aug 18, 6:26 PM
    • 5,930 Posts
    • 6,200 Thanks
    Comms69
    Obviously not, but everyone has that opportunity; if they dont take it its not my fault
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 10th Aug 18, 6:34 PM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 10,342 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Obviously not, but everyone has that opportunity; if they dont take it its not my fault
    Originally posted by Comms69
    I think you need to work on that thought a bit longer.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Aug 18, 7:31 PM
    • 5,930 Posts
    • 6,200 Thanks
    Comms69
    I think you need to work on that thought a bit longer.
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Im not sure if were discussing the same thing; so perhaps I could ask you- whos fault is it?
    • p00hsticks
    • By p00hsticks 10th Aug 18, 7:35 PM
    • 6,546 Posts
    • 7,099 Thanks
    p00hsticks
    Even if your loved one is in a nursing home it's rare that they will take them to an optician or for a hearing test or to get false teeth or to go clothes shopping.
    Originally posted by lisyloo

It may vary from authority to authority, but the (Local authority funded) nursing home that my MIL was in had visiting opticians, hearing technicians, chiropodists, hairdressers and manicurists.

Not sure about dental visits as my MIL had dentures.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 10th Aug 18, 7:47 PM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 10,342 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Im not sure if were discussing the same thing; so perhaps I could ask you- whos fault is it?
    Fault is irrelevant.

Unless you want a society where there are no low paid jobs (either those jobs don't get done, or everybody is paid the same regardless of what they do, up to you) then its pointless blaming individuals for working in low paid jobs, we all need them to, its how our society is set up and they are just as deserving of services and a decent standard of life as anybody else.
    • Comms69
    • By Comms69 10th Aug 18, 8:27 PM
    • 5,930 Posts
    • 6,200 Thanks
    Comms69
    So the state should subsidise it?
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 10th Aug 18, 9:02 PM
    • 3,838 Posts
    • 10,342 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    So the state should subsidise it?
    Subsidise what? Care for people who need it and aren't wealthy?

Yes of course!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,459Posts Today

8,111Users online

Martin's Twitter