Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MillyMoo1301
    • By MillyMoo1301 6th Aug 18, 1:11 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    MillyMoo1301
    ESA and disability premiums questions.
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:11 PM
    ESA and disability premiums questions. 6th Aug 18 at 1:11 PM
    Hi,

I wonder is anyone can help please?

I am just about to apply for ESA due to my chronic long team disability as I am no longer able to work at present, I hope this will once again change in the future.

I have been trying to work out my position and feel that I fit the support group criteria for income related ESA, I have a few questions if anyone can please help?

Background - I live alone with my 9 year old son in private rented accommodation, no one receives carers allowance for me. I currently receive the standard rate of both daily living and mobility for PIP.

1 - During the 13 week assessment phase is the additional 16.40 enhanced disability premium also paid or is that only paid after the initial 13 weeks?

2 - If placed in the support group, as no one receives carers allowance, I am in receipt of the standard amounts for both components of PIP and I live alone, will I be eligible for the severe disability payment?

3 - If I am eligible for the severe disability premium do I apply for it separately or will it automatically be applied? If I am eligible for the severe disability premium does this mean the enhanced disability premium them stops?

Apologies for such a long post and so many questions, I would really appreciate any help and advice,

Milly x
Page 1
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 6th Aug 18, 1:27 PM
    • 3,939 Posts
    • 3,762 Thanks
    poppy12345
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:27 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:27 PM
    Before answering your questions, if your area is a full UC area then you won't be able to apply for Income related ESA it will have to be UC. Check here.
    http://ucpostcode.entitledto.co.uk/ucdate

Have you recently been working? if so the SSP is payable for 28 weeks.

If you haven't worked recently do you currently claim JSA/Income Support?
    Last edited by poppy12345; 06-08-2018 at 1:28 PM. Reason: more info
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 6th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 12,065 Posts
    • 13,900 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:31 PM
    Disability premiums are awarded if you are entitled to income based ESA and meet the criteria for the premiums.
    They can be paid during the assessment period and once you have been awarded ESA and placed in the WRAG or Support group.

The Enhanced disability premium is available if you are in the support group (so you wouldn't qualify yet) or if your receive the enhanced rate of daily living PIP (so you don't qualify)

The Severe Disability Premium is available if you receive standard daily living PIP (which you do), live alone or treated as living alone(no non dependents living with you) and no one receive Carer's Allowance for you.

Based on what you have said you would be entitled to the Severe Disability Premium but not the Enhanced Disability Premium.

You usually need to apply for the SDP and complete a form to prove your eligibility.

https://www.gov.uk/disability-premiums-income-support/eligibility
    • Asum8449
    • By Asum8449 16th Aug 18, 10:14 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Asum8449
    • 16th Aug 18, 10:14 AM
    • 16th Aug 18, 10:14 AM
    I can't seem to find how to add a new form can a!!!328;one help me! Can you actively look for work whilst on ssp as I'm not going to manage going back to my current position.
    Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,709Posts Today

8,669Users online

Martin's Twitter