Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • baguettes
    • By baguettes 6th Aug 18, 1:08 PM
    • 5Posts
    • 0Thanks
    baguettes
    Property Development Investment
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:08 PM
    Property Development Investment 6th Aug 18 at 1:08 PM
    I have some money to invest, most has been put in S&S ISAs. However, I have a few thousand left over and am considering investing it in property development investment (such as The House Crowd).

Does anyone have any experience with these kind of investments and/or tips?
Page 1
    • Drp8713
    • By Drp8713 6th Aug 18, 1:12 PM
    • 837 Posts
    • 717 Thanks
    Drp8713
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:12 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:12 PM
    If I were you I would stick with your S&S ISA and buy the TR Property investment trust.

That gives you exposure to Europe wide property of all types rather than just UK residential.
    • baguettes
    • By baguettes 6th Aug 18, 1:15 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    baguettes
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:15 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:15 PM
    Interesting - is that because the wider exposure gives better financial security, or better potential returns (or both)?
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 6th Aug 18, 1:57 PM
    • 11,770 Posts
    • 8,285 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:57 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 1:57 PM
    You might diversify by buying gold sovereigns. You could read up on them at the Royal Mint website and then shop round among different suppliers to see who will suit you best.

We don't have any because we have nowhere safe to store them. I suppose we could just pay the Royal Mint (or competitor) to store them for us. Maybe we'll consider that next year when fixed term Cash ISAs mature.

With Wall Street in a bubble we are not keen to invest much in equities.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 6th Aug 18, 2:43 PM
    • 2,536 Posts
    • 2,516 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 6th Aug 18, 2:43 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 2:43 PM
    I wouldn't buy gold if I were you. Gold is very unstable.

Personally, I don't like the model that companies like The House Crowd use. They are quite high risk, and not very liquid. If you want to add property to your portfolio, then I would be much more inclined to look at a decent property fund. The risk is more diversified (although it can still be a high risk investment) and being a fund you can buy and sell as you wish, i.e. it is liquid.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

142Posts Today

1,126Users online

Martin's Twitter