Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gordon k
    • By gordon k 6th Aug 18, 12:30 PM
    • 36Posts
    • 72Thanks
    gordon k
    Best card for not getting blocked
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:30 PM
    Best card for not getting blocked 6th Aug 18 at 12:30 PM
    I'm going to be abroad later this year, somewhere I won't have access to a mobile phone.

In general I'll be using currency, but I also want a card with me for emergencies.

Wondering what is the best credit or debit card to have for not getting blocked? I.e. a provider whose security systems aren't on a hair trigger and/or who'll let me warn them in advance I'm gonna be in country X, don't block my card.

At the moment I have a Nationwide VISA Debit and a Lloyds Mastercard Credit - but both of them have taken the route of "Good news - you don't have to tell us any more when you're going abroad." Which I'm reading as "No point in trying to tell us, because our systems will ignore your information and block you anyway."

Any suggestions?
Page 2
    • Penelopa.Pitstop
    • By Penelopa.Pitstop 9th Aug 18, 1:59 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 127 Thanks
    Penelopa.Pitstop
    For anybody who has a second cardholder on their account it's worth using one of the cards that has different numbers for the main and the secondary user. I had a Nationwide card stolen,reported it immediately but both cards had the same number and both were blocked until replacements arrived.

Halifax Clarity and Barclaycard would have different numbers on each card and would not suffer the same problem.
    Originally posted by Vortigern
    Barclaycard blocked both cards regardles of different numbers. Went through this, when lost mine.
    Last edited by Penelopa.Pitstop; 09-08-2018 at 2:05 PM.

• Vortigern
    • By Vortigern 9th Aug 18, 4:41 PM
    • 2,533 Posts
    • 1,712 Thanks
    Vortigern
    Barclaycard blocked both cards regardles of different numbers. Went through this, when lost mine.
    Originally posted by Penelopa.Pitstop
    A Halifax Clarity card was stolen at the same time as the Nationwide card. We were able to give the number of the stolen card. Only one of the two Halifax cards on the account was blocked, but both Nationwide cards were blocked as they had the same number.

Did you tell Barclaycard the specific card number that was lost, or did you just say "I've lost my card" - and they looked you up by name and address?
    • eco_warrior
    • By eco_warrior 11th Aug 18, 12:10 PM
    • 100 Posts
    • 34 Thanks
    eco_warrior
    I'm going to be abroad later this year, somewhere I won't have access to a mobile phone.

In general I'll be using currency, but I also want a card with me for emergencies.

Wondering what is the best credit or debit card to have for not getting blocked? I.e. a provider whose security systems aren't on a hair trigger and/or who'll let me warn them in advance I'm gonna be in country X, don't block my card.

At the moment I have a Nationwide VISA Debit and a Lloyds Mastercard Credit - but both of them have taken the route of "Good news - you don't have to tell us any more when you're going abroad." Which I'm reading as "No point in trying to tell us, because our systems will ignore your information and block you anyway."

Any suggestions?
    Originally posted by gordon k

I know some banks encourage the customer to advise them of travel plans but I wouldn't think it would guarantee anything. If you happen to be using your card in what's deemed a high risk area (and this would be dependent the current levels of fraud being reported to the bank at the time) then your card would be stopped regardless.

I also think if a card/bank was less likely to block cards then they would be targeted by fraudsters for that very reason.

Been a while since I worked in fraud but it wasn't uncommon for a customer to go abroad and use their card for a while before it was stopped. They would then contact us to get it unblocked and their card had actually been skimmed whilst they were on holiday.

Blocks are a pain but a necessary one.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,474Posts Today

8,517Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin