Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ocrx8
    • By ocrx8 6th Aug 18, 12:00 PM
    • 3Posts
    • 0Thanks
    ocrx8
    Leasehold question - trying to get info from management company
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:00 PM
    Leasehold question - trying to get info from management company 6th Aug 18 at 12:00 PM
    Hi all

I'm looking to sell my current (freehold) property and buy a leasehold property. I've viewed the flat and am happy with it and the area, however, I've asked some questions about the external cladding, in light of Grenfell. Namely: is the cladding safe - if yes, fine, if no, when will it be removed and how will this be funded (by management company or fed back to the residents via service charge).

I've asked the management company directly and they wouldn't confirm anything unless the question was asked by a solicitor. Is this normal practice? Looks like the only way to move forward is to get the offer accepted and find out at a later stage. I just don't want to get stung with a big charge soon after purchase.

Thanks!
    Last edited by ocrx8; 06-08-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Page 1
    • G_M
    • By G_M 6th Aug 18, 12:19 PM
    • 45,538 Posts
    • 54,711 Thanks
    G_M
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:19 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:19 PM
    Who are you? Why should they tell you?

No, of course they won't. The way to obtain answers is for the current leaseholder (the seller) to ask his freeholder/management company.

This is part of the conveyancing process.
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 6th Aug 18, 2:33 PM
    • 7,072 Posts
    • 7,044 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 6th Aug 18, 2:33 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 2:33 PM
    You can ask the seller (the current owner of the leasehold flat) these types of questions - as a starting point, to help you decide whether you want to move forward.

But you cannot rely on the answers. You would then have to instruct your solicitor to re-ask the questions as pre-contract enquiries.

But FWIW, a question like "Is the cladding safe?" is unlikely to get a helpful answer. It's subjective.

(It's like saying "Is riding a motorbike safe?". Some people would say "Yes", others would say "No".)

A question like "Are there plans to remove or replace the cladding?", or "Has the cladding been assessed for fire safety?" might get more usable answers.
    Last edited by eddddy; 06-08-2018 at 2:36 PM.
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 6th Aug 18, 2:41 PM
    • 8,785 Posts
    • 9,291 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 6th Aug 18, 2:41 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 2:41 PM
    If anything needs done with the cladding it'll almost certainly be paid for by the leaseholders. Assuming this is a high-rise block then you ought to have more general concerns about possible levels of future service charge, mortgageability, etc.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,443Posts Today

8,424Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @kelsher123: @MartinSLewis First time switcher! And no, it wasn?t as challenging as I thought???? A British Gas customer so no brainier. Th?

• Agreed but by marketing it as cough specific people think there's something extra so they buy this rather than gene? https://t.co/hATY3W8Yia

• Good news for those aggressively criticising this poll and trying to pull it apart. I've just got off a 3 way call? https://t.co/Pu750aktyg

• Follow Martin