Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • newatc
    • By newatc 6th Aug 18, 11:41 AM
    • 275Posts
    • 322Thanks
    newatc
    New Laptop
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:41 AM
    New Laptop 6th Aug 18 at 11:41 AM
    My 8 year old Dell running on Windows 7 with 8mb of ram on 7th gen I5 chiphas died.
    The Dell had massive amount of bloatware which I blamed for slow start up but the performance was then fine for a reasonably light user (no games) with the exception that I could have several windows (up to 8) open at one time.

To avoid the bloatware I'm planning to purchase a build to order laptop with 8th generation I5 Intel chip with SSD and traditional hard drive. My only question is whether I should keep with 8mb or go up to 16gb. Will the better speed and SSD more than compensate for Windows 10 impact is I suppose the question I am asking.
Page 1
    • dipsomaniac
    • By dipsomaniac 6th Aug 18, 11:51 AM
    • 5,838 Posts
    • 2,292 Thanks
    dipsomaniac
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:51 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:51 AM
    i am running a i5 with 8gb ram, ssd, win10 and had 20 windows open this morning with no issues.

when you say it has died do you mean just slow. if so, have you tried doing a fresh install of os?
    "The Holy Writ of Gloucester Rugby Club demands: first, that the forwards shall win the ball; second, that the forwards shall keep the ball; and third, the backs shall buy the beer." - Doug Ibbotson
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 6th Aug 18, 12:34 PM
    • 11,405 Posts
    • 8,192 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:34 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:34 PM
    What do you mean by your laptop has died? As above, the specs are pretty good so if there's nothing terminal you could possibly resurrect it with a new SSD and a fresh, clean install of windows.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 6th Aug 18, 12:42 PM
    • 596 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:42 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:42 PM
    My 8 year old Dell running on Windows 7 with 8mb of ram on 7th gen I5 chiphas died.
    The Dell had massive amount of bloatware which I blamed for slow start up but the performance was then fine for a reasonably light user (no games) with the exception that I could have several windows (up to 8) open at one time.

To avoid the bloatware I'm planning to purchase a build to order laptop with 8th generation I5 Intel chip with SSD and traditional hard drive. My only question is whether I should keep with 8mb or go up to 16gb. Will the better speed and SSD more than compensate for Windows 10 impact is I suppose the question I am asking.
    Originally posted by newatc
    A bit confused here. You upgraded the CPU in your laptop, but didn't know how to run a clean install.
    Perhaps you meant to write 2nd Gen, which would make it seven years old.
    No need to change RAM, SSD will make all of the difference.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 6th Aug 18, 12:55 PM
    • 11,405 Posts
    • 8,192 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:55 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:55 PM
    A bit confused here. You upgraded the CPU in your laptop, but didn't know how to run a clean install.
    Perhaps you meant to write 2nd Gen, which would make it seven years old.
    No need to change RAM, SSD will make all of the difference.
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    Where did it say he upgraded the CPU?
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 6th Aug 18, 12:59 PM
    • 596 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:59 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:59 PM
    Originally posted by neilmcl
    An eight year old laptop with a 7th Gen i5(from 2017).....
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 6th Aug 18, 2:57 PM
    • 3,381 Posts
    • 2,473 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 6th Aug 18, 2:57 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 2:57 PM
    It was slow to start up because it had a mechanical hard drive. Don't go for a normal drive, stick with SSD. Windows 10 uses less resources than Windows 7.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 6th Aug 18, 4:32 PM
    • 3,642 Posts
    • 1,748 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:32 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:32 PM
    An eight year old laptop with a 7th Gen i5(from 2017).....
    Originally posted by EveryWhere
    Where did he say it was a laptop?
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • Frozen_up_north
    • By Frozen_up_north 6th Aug 18, 4:47 PM
    • 1,574 Posts
    • 773 Thanks
    Frozen_up_north
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:47 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:47 PM
    Someone on this forum thinks an SSD cures all known illness... even fixing a dead laptop.

I wouldn't bother looking to have both an SSD and a spinning rust disk in a laptop. Normally a laptop is looked at as a slim lightweight device with a long run time on battery, there is no need to bulk it up with a second drive. An SSD is quite cheap, even compared to a few months ago, and doesn't need to be a huge capacity, as you can supplement it with an external drive. A 250GB to 275GB is probably large enough for most purposes.

With regard to unwanted clutter on a new "off the shelf" laptop, try https://www.pcdecrapifier.com/
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 6th Aug 18, 4:48 PM
    • 596 Posts
    • 280 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Where did he say it was a laptop?
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    Guess

Where did it state "he"?
    • toshi
    • By toshi 6th Aug 18, 4:52 PM
    • 185 Posts
    • 135 Thanks
    toshi
    New SSD = NEW Computer (8 years old)
    What do you mean by your laptop has died? As above, the specs are pretty good so if there's nothing terminal you could possibly resurrect it with a new SSD and a fresh, clean install of windows.
    I agree 100 %. Unless the is actually dead, (well I would try to repair it ) just replace the sluggish hard disk with an SSD, then install the fresh windows 10 with the existing Windows 7 license keys, Yes you will get a free windows 10 upgrade. (It worked this for me a couple month ago)

Summery
    1) Get an SSD
    I would recommend Crucial MX500 (5 year warranty)
    2) replace the existing hard disk with the SSD
    3) Download the latest Windows 10 ISO image, and make an USB boot
    4) Install Windows 10 to the SSD computer
    5) copy the data from the existing hard disk to the new SSD.

Welcome to the 2018 Computer. (Yes, with the SSD, your 8 Years old Computer will be 2018 computer!

Happy SSD computing
    Last edited by toshi; 06-08-2018 at 6:01 PM. Reason: minor correction
    • debitcardmayhem
    • By debitcardmayhem 6th Aug 18, 6:11 PM
    • 8,591 Posts
    • 6,488 Thanks
    debitcardmayhem
    All the above is moot , OP has not stated what constitutes "died", nor does he/she quote the Service Tag, I guess laptop from thread title , but OP is vague as to what they already have. They may just want to replace the PC with a laptop, but if it's 8 years old it's not likely to be a 7th gen i5
    • newatc
    • By newatc 6th Aug 18, 6:25 PM
    • 275 Posts
    • 322 Thanks
    newatc
    I'm sorry not replying quicker but have been out. Yes I must have got the generation totally wrong, The computer(yes laptop) was definitely 8 years ago so 2nd gen as written by Everywhere is probably correct .
    As to my simple adjective of "died", it has for sometime had problems starting up (going into diagnostics) and USB port has stopped working. Last week it beeped when turning on and the display was completely blank. So I came to the conclusion, maybe wrongly, that it was time to change.

As I think I have clearly demonstrated on this thread I'm rightly not confident of doing many of the suggestions such as fitting disk or new display myself (compared to me Frank Spencer would be regarded as a DIY expert) so my instinct is getting this all fixed by computer shop wouldn't be a lot cheaper than starting again with new box and hopefully the new one will have a longer life than the old upgraded Dell.

Listening to some replies, it does seem the 8gb will suffice.

Thanks for all the replies.
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 7th Aug 18, 9:28 AM
    • 3,642 Posts
    • 1,748 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Last week it beeped when turning on and the display was completely blank.
    Originally posted by newatc
    I'm sure a computer friend would have a look at this - may be fixable. The 1 beep may be a system board failure / possible BIOS corruption.

Disconnect the power adapter and battery and press and hold the power button for 30 seconds to release any static power. Then test the system with the adapter only / battery only.

If that doesn't work BIOS recovery may be the next step...
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • newatc
    • By newatc 7th Aug 18, 12:21 PM
    • 275 Posts
    • 322 Thanks
    newatc
    Disconnect the power adapter and battery and press and hold the power button for 30 seconds to release any static power. Then test the system with the adapter only / battery only.
    Originally posted by grumpycrab
    I had read that advice elsewhere and tried it without success. I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy new laptop for reasons stated but also keeping the current laptop to experiment with.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,659Posts Today

9,032Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin