Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    vq12
    Halifax keep re-registering default against my name
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:39 AM
    Halifax keep re-registering default against my name 6th Aug 18 at 11:39 AM
    So long story short, I closed my Halifax account in Dec 2017, a direct debit came out (which I wasn't aware of) and I went -117 (which I wasn't aware of).

They sent a letter saying about this, so I called and said I paid the direct debit on my new bank so this shouldn't have happened, she said she'd investigate it bla bla. Never heard anything back, so stupidly assumed all was well. Hardly checked my credit score up until March this year, but when I did... I had a default.

So I sent in a complaint, they agreed to remove it and apologised. All is well... this is March. June, check again... default is back. So I raised yet another complaint, the same guy apologised and said it had somehow re-registered itself and he'd remove it again. Checked again Thursday, and you can guess where I'm going.

On the second complaint, he compensated me 150 and apologised. This time, I raised another complaint but also raised a dispute with Equifax, who said Halifax has asked me to contact them as they're still investigating this. Called CS @ Halifax - sorry we don't deal with credit files, we can't remove defaults bla bla. I have it in written proof that it would be removed, so I'm waiting for him to call me again.

What would you do in this situation, or what should I ask for? I'm understandably annoyed, I'm not going to ask for money etc but I want to get something for my time. I tried opening another account with Halifax and they offered me a basic bank account, I think this default has something to do with that. So I MAY ask for them to open a current account for me for my troubles, or is this stupid?

But yeah, what would be your advice to me? I can't keep doing this every 2 months.
Page 1
    • sourcrates
    • By sourcrates 6th Aug 18, 12:01 PM
    • 14,859 Posts
    • 13,946 Thanks
    sourcrates
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:01 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:01 PM
    Hi,

Halifax have got 8 weeks to investigate your complaint, and provide you with a final response.

As this complaint seems to be ongoing, you can take the matter to the ICO for resolution now, they deal with all things information related.

They should also take steps to see it does not recur again.

If compensation is considered to be appropriate, its usually in the form of money.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Credit File And Ratings, and
    Bankruptcy And Living With It, boards. "I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly".
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

For free debt advice, contact either : Stepchange, National Debtline, or, CAB.
    For Free Legal advice see : http://legalbeagles.info/
  • vq12
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:09 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:09 PM
    Spoken to Equifax, they said the mistake was on their part, not Halifax and have removed the default.

All resolved now, that was easy lol!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,361Posts Today

8,523Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin