Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TUVOK
    • By TUVOK 6th Aug 18, 11:22 AM
    • 38Posts
    • 3Thanks
    TUVOK
    Thought's on the Woodford equity income fund
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:22 AM
    Thought's on the Woodford equity income fund 6th Aug 18 at 11:22 AM
    I have been slowly reducing my holding in this fund from what I once had.
    It's performance is poor now and has been for some time and barring a situation where his portfolio will soar, I am struggling to not sell my holding completely.
    Have I got my head in the sand regarding this fund or can other forum members see some light?
    Any views on this topic would be welcome.
Page 2
    • greenglide
    • By greenglide 8th Aug 18, 11:05 AM
    • 3,179 Posts
    • 2,065 Thanks
    greenglide
    Musk has talked about paying shareholders $420 against a peak of $380 or so.

How does that cause the end of the world to the investors?

Presumably the source of funding to buy out any shareholders who decide to accept this will be the very hedge funds who, of course, employ the experts (no use of "so called" or inserting in quote) that you denegrate so much.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 8th Aug 18, 11:54 AM
    • 11,003 Posts
    • 12,690 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Musk has talked about paying shareholders $420 against a peak of $380 or so.
    Originally posted by greenglide
    It doesn't. Its the end of the world to the hedge funds who have shorted this to the moon, and are now looking down the barrel at several billion dollars loss minimum with a time limit if the offer goes ahead . Before this offer a short could always hang on indefinitely if they were convinced they were right, they would even just have gained from a fortuitous general stock market decline, nothing to do with Tesla fundamentals as such.

Musk has ripped away the floor they were standing on, almost literally.
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 8th Aug 18, 11:55 AM
    • 4,800 Posts
    • 7,702 Thanks
    Malthusian
    Originally posted by greenglide
    AnotherJoe was referring to the short sellers who would stand to lose tens of billions. I don't know how much Einhorn and co have shorted, but they would need to buy Tesla shares at $420 after borrowing them and immediately selling them for much less than that. And as Tesla would then go private, their short position would be closed and the loss would be locked in.

It is quite possible that Elon Musk is just causing mischief in between accusing random cave divers of being child molesters.

The fact that Tesla shares are currently trading for $380 even though Musk is supposedly going to imminently buy them for $420 shows that the market is taking Musk's announcement with a gigantic pinch of salt rather than sign up for an instant 10% profit.

The funds to buy the shares off the public shareholders will probably come from the big investment banks, not hedge funds.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,006Posts Today

6,501Users online

Martin's Twitter