Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • born_3
    • By born_3 6th Aug 18, 11:16 AM
    • 49Posts
    • 32Thanks
    born_3
    Car Insurance - car damaged in crash then stolen
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:16 AM
    Car Insurance - car damaged in crash then stolen 6th Aug 18 at 11:16 AM
    My fully comp'ed car was rear ended on the motorway last Tuesday (on the motorway) I reported the collision to the police, took many photographs of the damage on both vehicles and informed my car insurance company (along with notes about my passengers and subsequent medical treatment we received). It's a 12 YO reasonably high-spec vehicle but the damage to the back was extensive and I was expecting it to be "written" off.

On Thursday my house was broken into and, amongst other things, my keys and car was stolen. This has become part of a wider investigation by the local cops and I also informed my car insurance company. Today I've had a representative from the insurers call me to inform me that from the images they received of the car's damage it is effectively worthless at the time of the theft and according to the terms of my policy it had a nominal scrap value of 250 (to cover the excess). This, I can sort of, understand. But part of my fully comp policy is for 250 of "personal effects" in the car which includes my work safety glasses and some of my disabled son's equipment. When I mentioned this to the agent he said that it would be better not to pursue this claim just to focus on the first and, that although my ncb is protected, having to tell insurance companies in the future that I had made two insurance claims it would be better if I didn't pursue this claim, he would close it and focus on the first for damage.

Is that right?
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Aug 18, 11:25 AM
    • 36,776 Posts
    • 20,892 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:25 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:25 AM
    Do you agree that prior to the crash your car was worthless?

Or has the crash damage rendered it a write off because it would have cost more to repair than it's pre crash value?

Pointless claiming if they are going to pay you 250 (if that is the correct valuation prior to the incident) but then you pay them that back as your excess unless you can claim that back off a responsible third party which it sounds like there is!

Of course you should claim for your possessions - they look to be trying it on!

Consider cancelling your claim and pursuing the third party insurer direct instead
    • born_3
    • By born_3 6th Aug 18, 11:48 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 32 Thanks
    born_3
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:48 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:48 AM
    Do you agree that prior to the crash your car was worthless?

Or has the crash damage rendered it a write off because it would have cost more to repair than it's pre crash value?
    Originally posted by Quentin

The crash damage repair cost would be more than the pre-crash value of the car. My car was worth 1700-2200 before the crash.

...Pointless claiming if they are going to pay you 250 (if that is the correct valuation prior to the incident) but then you pay them that back as your excess unless you can claim that back off a responsible third party which it sounds like there is...
    I had pretty much assumed that the 250 scrap figure was just a paper figure to cover the 250 excess on my policy - the theft bit. I was told that the theft loss vlue of my car was its actual value at the time of the theft..

...Of course you should claim for your possessions - they look to be trying it on...
    OK I'll tell them.

...Consider cancelling your claim and pursuing the third party insurer direct instead
    I'm confused - my insurer's agent has told me I "should" close my claim for theft and just pursue to original dmage/write-off one.

Does not pursuing/closing the car theft claim invalidate my claim for lost possessions inside the car during the theft?
    • FutureGirl
    • By FutureGirl 6th Aug 18, 5:45 PM
    • 1,132 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    FutureGirl
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:45 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:45 PM
    It is a separate incident, so you'd have to pay any applicable excess if you claim for personal effects. Your no claims discount will also be affected as it's 2 separate claims within a 1 year period.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

380Posts Today

4,432Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin