Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • adamrthomson
    • By adamrthomson 6th Aug 18, 11:13 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Income Protection Refusing To Pay out
    • #1
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:13 AM
    Income Protection Refusing To Pay out 6th Aug 18 at 11:13 AM
    Having been made redundant I made a claim on my income protection policy I took out via MMS Insurance, I have provided them with all the information required and everything is in order, however my previous employer (large global company) have refused to provide a reference as this is their company stance, I have spoken to them and asked them to comply but they have said no, MMS now tell me they can not process my claim due to this fact!
    There is nothing in the policy document stating that my previous employer must provide a reference and surely this is an unfair term?

    Any idea's before I make an official complaint to them, Lloyds of London and the FOS?
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 6th Aug 18, 11:18 AM
    • 38,329 Posts
    • 22,299 Thanks
    • #2
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:18 AM
    • #2
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:18 AM
    Whenever you are unhappy with an insurer then a formal complaint is the route to take

    But before escalating to the FOS you must exhaust the procedure by giving them 8 weeks to reply.

    Then if they ignore you for the 8 weeks or you are unhappy with the reply you can escalate to the FOS.
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 6th Aug 18, 12:25 PM
    • 97,565 Posts
    • 65,670 Thanks
    • #3
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:25 PM
    • #3
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:25 PM
    What do you mean by reference?

    It would be unusual for a claim to require a reference from the previous employer. However, it would not be uncommon to verify that you were made redundant by the company and it wasn't voluntarily. It is more common when you only bought the PPI policy relatively recently.

    Any idea's before I make an official complaint to them, Lloyds of London and the FOS?
    You can't complain to Lloyds of London (no point whatsoever as you have no contract wtih them). It would have similar standing to sending the same complaint to Tesco and expecting them to answer.

    You have no access to the FOS at this time. You have to complain to the company first and get their response before you get access to the FOS.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

66Posts Today

2,355Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • 10 ways you should act now to beat April bill shocks - council tax UP, stamp prices UP, TV licence UP, energy bills?

  • I have a confession to make... I think I now prefer Young Sheldon to The Big Bang Theory (or at least to the recent series). Am I alone?

  • RT @TDHPhotography: Thank you @MartinSLewis After seeing your show on Council tax exemption for severe mental disorders, after a brief batt?

  • Follow Martin