Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Woodger95
    • By Woodger95 6th Aug 18, 10:35 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Woodger95
    Help with Nationwide 'Flex Direct' & refer a friend
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:35 AM
    Help with Nationwide 'Flex Direct' & refer a friend 6th Aug 18 at 10:35 AM
    Hi,

I'm hoping someone can help, hopefully it isn't a silly question!

I like to take advantage of banks offering high interest rates on relatively low savings, and any cash offers they can give. I see the Nationwide has a 'flex direct' account, which offers 5% on 2,500 for year 1.

I would not want to use this as my main account, but I would put the 2,500 in to earn the 5% interest (plus apply for the 5% regular saver). It states I need to pay in 1,000 a month - can I set up a standing order from my main current account (Santander) each month, then transfer it straight back out - does this count as paying in 1,000 per month if it goes in then out from another account of mine?

Also, they have the 'refer a friend' - has anyone got any feedback on this? It seems I can open the account fairly easily (no switch/ direct debits), but my girlfriend is looking to switch to this account to get the savings benefit too - so If I open the account as mentioned above, then refer her, is it that straight forward to get 100 each?

Many thanks,
    Danny
    Last edited by Woodger95; 06-08-2018 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Title Change
Page 1
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 6th Aug 18, 11:03 AM
    • 2,086 Posts
    • 944 Thanks
    soulsaver
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:03 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:03 AM
    1K In (from external ac)& immediately out? Yes.
    Refer OH switch in for 100 each? Yes
    AND OH subsequently refer you for a switch in for another 100 each? Also YES!
    Last edited by soulsaver; 06-08-2018 at 11:05 AM.
    • soulsaver
    • By soulsaver 6th Aug 18, 11:04 AM
    • 2,086 Posts
    • 944 Thanks
    soulsaver
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:04 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:04 AM
    PS And open a 5% regular saver each...
    • Woodger95
    • By Woodger95 6th Aug 18, 11:21 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Woodger95
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:21 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:21 AM
    Thanks soulsaver very helpful!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,663Posts Today

9,015Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @kelsher123: @MartinSLewis First time switcher! And no, it wasn?t as challenging as I thought???? A British Gas customer so no brainier. Th?

• Agreed but by marketing it as cough specific people think there's something extra so they buy this rather than gene? https://t.co/hATY3W8Yia

• Good news for those aggressively criticising this poll and trying to pull it apart. I've just got off a 3 way call? https://t.co/Pu750aktyg

• Follow Martin