Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • Blackisthecat
    • By Blackisthecat 6th Aug 18, 10:26 AM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Home/contents insurance 2400!
    • #1
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:26 AM
    Home/contents insurance 2400! 6th Aug 18 at 10:26 AM
    I just found out my dad has not changed his home/contents insurer (from Royal Sunalliance) for 35 years!!
    They are currently charging him 200/month

    He is reluctant to change insurers as he had to claim for subsidence around 20yrs ago and is worried he will not be covered for future occurrences with a new policy.
    Is this the case?
Page 1
    • lisyloo
    • By lisyloo 6th Aug 18, 10:48 AM
    • 23,269 Posts
    • 11,801 Thanks
    • #2
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:48 AM
    • #2
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:48 AM
    New insurers will want to know all the details of the subsidence claim and what was done.
    Does you dad have reports on the work e.g. from surveyors.

    His premium will be loaded.
    If he doesn't have full info and can't get it then it's likely to be loaded a lot as the risk is unknown.

    So he won't be not covered but his premim will be loaded and or high excess.

    If he doesn't have all the details and RS are reluctant to provide it then he might indeed be better off staying with them.
    • Reardoa
    • By Reardoa 6th Aug 18, 11:13 AM
    • 154 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    • #3
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:13 AM
    • #3
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:13 AM
    Not at all. Their are specialist insurers that deal with properties that have suffered subsidence. Although some main stream insurers I suspect would still quote depending on the cause of the subsidence, if the cause has been dealt with and assuming no issues have arisen since.
    Even with a prev subs that is very expensive
    • dacouch
    • By dacouch 6th Aug 18, 10:34 PM
    • 20,664 Posts
    • 12,799 Thanks
    • #4
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:34 PM
    • #4
    • 6th Aug 18, 10:34 PM
    Try the subsidence advisory bureau.

    They will require him to pay for a survey, they will then come up with a premium and terms.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,516Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Right back to self imposed twitter exile until Thur - trying to be off work (not v successfully)

  • Too painful to talk about. That result really was offsensive. For rancid cheese & onion to beat powerful salt & v?

  • If you think this hypothetical's bad, here's some of my past polls - Which past PM would u resurrect to aid politi?

  • Follow Martin