What small DFW things will you do this week? W/C 6 August

Comments

• foxgloves
    foxgloves Posts: 11,086 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    I woke up at Silly O'Clock too, Dawn. I couldn't work out why I could hear a weird squeaking sound. By the time I'd realised mr f had been up & switched the fan on, I was wide awake for a couple of hours. Today's money saving:
    *Surveys
    *Peg out overnight laundry - I'm loving all this free drying.
    *Soup making session.
    *Sort out freezer.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Still awaiting progress on my 2nd complaint re dressmaking pattern. This Fri will mark a month since I ordered it. They took my money instantly but have not supplied the goods.
    *Water veggie garden.
    *Cut back cucmber vines as red spider mites have struck. It's classic weather conditions for them so am surprised it's taken this long. Had over 70 cukes though so can't complain!
    *Finish a sock for the presents box & cast on its pair.
    Mum still waiting for a hospital transfer back into her region. It's stressful but out of our hands so we are all just taking a day at a time. It's not possible to plan until we hear there's a bed.
    Ok, off to start that soup making.
    F x
    "For each of our actions there are only consequences" (James Lovelock)"For in the true nature of things......every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold & silver" (Martin Luther King Jnr)
  • DawnW
    DawnW Posts: 7,439 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    edited 7 August 2018 at 9:16PM
    Went back to bed at 1am and didn't get up till 8.20 :eek:
    Sorry to hear that your Mum is stuck in hospital away from home Foxgloves. Hope she gets closer to home, or better still, out of hospital soon!

Few things planned for today:
    Check banks and update spreadsheet Done
    Pack and post an ebay item Done
    Take some more things to sales unit Done
    Do a small shop - we promised to take GD for a picnic tomorrow, so will buy a few little treats :)Done, though DD has asked if we can have her on Thursday instead. Doesn't make any difference to me.
    Peg next load of washing on line - I am enjoying being able to get it all dried outside too :D - though all the watering necessitated by the weather not so good :(2 loads dry :)
    Clean bathroom Done
    Top up tea / coffee supplies in camper van and put GD's car seat in it, ready for tomorrow :)Not done, will do tomorrow
    Freeze some French beans and do something with a bowlful of windfall apples Not done, will do tomorrow
    Make a Greek spinach and feta filo pie for dinner, to use up a huge bag of spinach (it is one of our favourites anyway!) Done

Watering / picking produce in garden Watered front garden tonight. Also tidied, weeded path, moved pots around, put in a couple of geraniums in gaps etc :)

Hopefully there will be more!
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Morning all :hello:

I am in theory working today, but agreed with boss it would be a bit fluid this week, so will catch up on here before I start that ;) Today will involve:

Picking raspberries and tomatoes from garden
    Feed tomatoes
    Make small list and go shopping, hopefully will get us through to next Friday
    Reconcile just for points cc
    Check banking, update sheet
    Check surveys
    More washing out, do the bedding
    Quick tidy round
    Put away last few things from our time away and get straight
    DH to gym, I might go and use steam room and maybe a gentle swim as I'm feeling good post op
    Top water up in some lovely flowers I was gifted
    Get something out of freezer for tea

Back later hope everyone is enjoying time away (if you are lucky enough to have it) and those others not posting are just enjoying the lovely British summer :D
  • allydowd
    allydowd Posts: 4,911 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    DawnW wrote: »
    Killed a slug on the kitchen floor :eek: and finished off some chocolate from the fridge :o

Could've been worse...could've dropped your chocolate on the floor and put a slug in the fridge. :eek:
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015 The Joy Account: £10 "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
  • Thrice
    Thrice Posts: 159 Forumite
    Morning all!

I don't know what happened to my reply yesterday, I must not have posted as I thought!

Short list for this week -

All food from stores (£8 left in this weeks grocery budget if we need anything)
    Check comps every day, surveys etc as usual
    Check banking - done today, all looks like it's ticking over!
    Update spends for July - finished last night
    Update spends for August - will start tonight, I've got receipts and post-it's for everything
    Start writing a list of all the house jobs needing done (NOT looking forward to this one!)
    Write a list of all points etc I've got lying on cards, and see if I can use for remaining birthday gifts or christmas presents. I've got over £60 worth of Boots points for a start :o

Hope everyone is doing well today :)
  • Happy_Kitties
    Happy_Kitties Posts: 1,614 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Having a space cadet day......posted today's post on last week's thread:eek:

Not A massive amount done, parcels posted, kitchen looks a lot clearer and cleaner:)

Banking all checked-everything good

Was supposed to go round to friends tonight so they could have a look at scratches on the car and have some items to return. Going to go tomorrow instead as I just didn't have the energy tonight:(

Food planned for yesterday was cooked today. Made extra of other bits like roasties so we have 2 meals ready for tomorrow. Love it when u get two meals out of one.

Hoping that DD will stay in locust mode so that we run the freezer down a bit.

Right off to bed for me, hopefully will be more alert and on the right planet tomorrow:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

have a good evening everyone x

Decluttering challenge 2023🏅⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 
    Decluttering challenge 2024 🏅⭐️
  • crazy_cat_lady
    crazy_cat_lady Posts: 7,063 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Just a quick check in and hello from my phone. Not mse today today at all, as we’re away from home, but it was all planned and budgeted for.
  • DawnW
    Hope you are having a nice break CCL :)
  • PurpleFairy26
    PurpleFairy26 Posts: 3,903 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Morning all :hello: glad you're enjoying yourself cat hope you have another lovely day. Dawn would you mind sharing your spinach and feta pie recipe please?

My list for today:
    One load already pegged out, another in
    Stripped our bed (only 1 I didn't do yesterday) was really hoping our mattress topper would fit in the machine but that was too hopeful, so I have put it out to air instead.
    Find something to do with 275g of sr flour that wouldn't fit in my normal flour tub after the bag split :cool:
    Cook off some courgettes in fridge if they are not in tonight's tea and freeze
    Home pedicure
    Get out in the garden and give it a bit of a tidy up, a couple of down falls of rain have sent some weeds a bit wild
    Move some interest to a long term savings pot
    Some home work with the smalls and possibly trip to the library

Have a good day everyone.
  • DawnW
    Spinach and feta filo pie:
    You need:

About half a pack of filo pastry (the other half goes in the freezer for next time)
    Lots of spinach - I can't give weights as I never weigh it, just use what I pick. A big stockpot of uncooked spinach pushed down tightly if that helps!
    One or two packs of feta (or Sainsburys basics Greek salad cheese) to taste. You can also add any ends of leftover / dried up bits of any other cheese if you like / have any.

Olive oil, salt and pepper.

Wash spinach and put into a large pan, cook over a highish heat till it wilts down. No extra water needed, apart from the washing water that clings to it. Drain in a colander, pressing as much water out of it as you can. Put back in the pan, then crumble in feta (and grate in any ends of other cheese if you have it) and season well with salt and pepper, remembering though that feta is quite salty.

Brush a baking dish with olive oil and line with several layers of filo pastry, letting it overlap / over hang the sides. You need to dab the layers with the olive oil brush to make them stick together a bit - but you don't need much.

Fill with spinach and feta mixture - you can do half, fold pastry over and do another layer if you like, but I usually don't bother. Fold over flaps of pastry overhanging the edge of the dish, again dotting with olive oil where they need to stick together. Add more filo to the top if needed.

Brush over the surface with more olive oil and bake at Gas 6 or 200 degrees for about 20 minutes.
    Now the slightly tricky part - get out the pie which should now be nice and brown on top, invert onto a baking tray and slide back into its original baking dish to brown the underneath. This is only tricky because you need approximately 3 hands. The pie will stay together well, and won't break up unless you drop it on the floor!

Back in the oven for another 10 or 15 minutes, it will look nice and brown when done.

Nice hot, warm or cold :)

Hopefully this makes sense - let me know if not. It is surprisingly difficult to write down a recipe for something you have just made for years. It is pretty easy though, much easier to do than write!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure