Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 6th Aug 18, 9:45 AM
    • 4,014Posts
    • 34,299Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    What small DFW things will you do this week? W/C 6 August
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:45 AM
    What small DFW things will you do this week? W/C 6 August 6th Aug 18 at 9:45 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important!
    October Gobstopper #8 NSD = 12 1 debt vs 100 days 328.51/1685
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
Page 1
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 6th Aug 18, 9:51 AM
    • 4,014 Posts
    • 34,299 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:51 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:51 AM
    Morning all
    Hope I'm not cross posting - after forgetting completely to subscribe to last week's thread, here I am starting this one off Hope you're all ok.
    Busy week ahead for me and I need to keep a close eye on my pennies. I'm out all day today visiting a friend, then tomorrow me and the kids are off to Alton Towers for 3 days. Tickets and accommodation are all paid for but there's food and spends to keep a close eye on.
    Today, as I say, I'm out all day so it will be busy but fun. I've been a bit lacking in adult company recently which has taken its toll on my mood - much as I love my kids they are not the people I need to grieve about my marriage over. I'm visiting a friend that I hardly ever get to see but who always makes me feel better when I do. So I'm confident this little cloud of misery will be gone soon, even if it's only temporary. We'll be grabbing a bite to eat and I need to get a couple of things for our trip away but it should be a minimal spend day, and all allocated for in the budget. Phew.
    Right, time I got on.
    Have a good day all.
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 6th Aug 18, 9:56 AM
    • 4,310 Posts
    • 27,796 Thanks
    allydowd
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:56 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:56 AM
    Hi August-Austerees,

Morning CCL Thanks for the starter. Could you Skype/FaceTime/Facebook Video Messenger yourself some adult company?

Not sure what we're doing today but it'll be cheap. Going for a walk to a waterfall using OS maps code kindly given to us by a friend.

Debt-Free-Nillionaire Continuity Plan Year Four:

THINGS I WILL DO:

* Check online banking. Done.

* Take medication. Done.

* Turn alarm clock off at the wall til tonight. Done.

* Get some exercise.

* See if seller has replied to my request for an answer on where the Smurf my CD is. Nope.

* Turn off Wifi router when we are out.

* Need to change my card details on all my online accounts after getting a replacement card. Grr. Done.

Things don't have to be perfect to be wonderful.
    Last edited by allydowd; 06-08-2018 at 11:35 AM.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 20

Bold 100 Miles Bicycle Bonanza Challenge: Completed
    Run 25 Miles for Sanity Challenge: Completed

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 6th Aug 18, 11:14 AM
    • 4,312 Posts
    • 22,811 Thanks
    foxgloves
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:14 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 11:14 AM
    Morning Monday Savers,
    Got off to a good start
    By 10 a.m, I'd had a bath & then recycled the water on our flower beds, vacuumed, emptied vacuum, done breakfast dishes & tidied kitchen, prepped veg for tonight's meal & worked out all my calories, pegged out 2 loads of washing, read energy meters & changed the bed linen. Over coffee I transferred my energency supplies list over to my bullet diary as this fell off the list last week, & did one minor 'annoying job'.
    Still to do:
    Updating budgets, online banking, reconciling my personal spends money, admin & filing. Then wrapping birthday gifts....all wrappings & box from stores tho may have to cut box down to make it fit properly. Then check for Onepoll surveys & cash out on Prolific. Also make tomorrow's packed lunch & pick tomatoes, cukes & blackberries plus freeze l/o apple sauce made yesterday. Finally, knit....one item to finish for presents box & another to put right as despite knowing pattern by heart, managed to knit some total cr*p the other day. Thank goodness I noticed! Oh & finally, must pack bags for charity shop before this becomes an 'annoying job'.
    Ok, off up to foxgloves HQ to update budgets.
    Cheers all,
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 353
    • ziggy2407
    • By ziggy2407 6th Aug 18, 12:15 PM
    • 3,262 Posts
    • 25,372 Thanks
    ziggy2407
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:15 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:15 PM
    Good Afternoon All

CCL - Thanks for starting us off today
    Foxgloves - You are on fire today

Hi to all of the regulars and a BIG welcome to all the newbies, this is a really FAB thread with so many lovely, caring, considerate and supportive people.

Am in holiday mode already and we don't even go while Friday so today we will:

Checked Bank & made PAD - Done
    Clean "black bin" - Done
    Ironing -
    Filing & Shredding -
    Harvest potatoes -
    Tidy front yard -
    Declutter -
    Home Pamper session -
    Enter a few comps -
    Purge a few emails -
    All meals from cupboards/fridge/freezer -
    Checked: Tombola Stars, Lucky Bob, FPL, WinaDinner -
    Read -

Have a great day!

C x
    Last edited by ziggy2407; 06-08-2018 at 12:18 PM.
    Make 5 per day Jan - June 18: 818.96/905.00 Make 5 per day July 18: 24.63/155 Make 5 per day Aug: 122.68/155 Make 5 per day Sept: 442.99/150 Make 5 per day Oct: 74.92/155
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 6th Aug 18, 4:05 PM
    • 5,264 Posts
    • 41,646 Thanks
    DawnW
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:05 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 4:05 PM
    Afternoon all
    Thanks for starting the thread CCL - hope you have a lovely holiday

Well, I sorted out stuff for my sales unit, took it down and put it all on the shelves, brought some bits back, and stalled
    Before I did this, I managed at least to:
    Check banks and update spreadsheet
    Dealt with a couple of items of paperwork
    List / relist a few things on ebay
    Clear up the kitchen a bit, though to look at it now, you wouldn't think so
    I have a load of washing waiting to be pegged out on the line, so must do that in a minute. Also have sales stock all over the spare room where I started to sort it out, so need to get that tidied.

Apart from that, I will need to:
    Water whatever needs it in the garden, and come to think of it, it is Monday and that is the day when I liquid feed everything that needs it. It is still very hot and dry, with no prospect of rain according to the BBC. Unusual for the West country
    Sort out more stock in the garage
    Pick whatever is ready in the garden (French beans and tomatoes, at least!)
    Clean bathroom floor
    Another load of washing

I could go on, but know it wouldn't get done

It is cold chicken for dinner tonight, so not much needed in the way of cooking, which is great, as it is too hot to have the cooker on for long!

Hoping to come back with a more impressive list tomorrow!

• Chandelier.
    • By Chandelier. 6th Aug 18, 6:22 PM
    • 775 Posts
    • 2,002 Thanks
    Chandelier.
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:22 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 6:22 PM
    Evening,

I kind of fell off the MSE bandwagon towards the end of last week but all is okay and within my budgets, it just seemed to end up being a spendier week. I will try to reign it in within the next couple of weeks especially with everything that's upcoming over the next month or two.

Today has been a slow start to the week, my mood slightly dipped so I found myself moping around a bit and not knowing what to do with myself. I have kind of snapped out of it a bit but to be honest I cannot wait until bedtime.

I just have a few general bits to sort out such as sorting out travel insurance, updating my bank accounts, sorting out my mail and ordering a couple of things I need. I still need to go clothes shopping for the boy for our holiday but I only really need to get him a couple of things.

I am hoping I wake up tomorrow much brighter and determined.
    Check out my Diary
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 6th Aug 18, 7:06 PM
    • 2,381 Posts
    • 16,165 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:06 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 7:06 PM
    Evening all we're back from our long (as in distance not duration ) time away. Was lovely albeit spendy, some of it unavoidable, some of it planned. Anyway, it was one of those family things you need to go to and we did it so much cheaper than we could have done 180 a room a night hotel (we need 2 rooms for 2 nights ) for a start, erm, no thanks. Air b n b it was then

Do need to be super frugal until payday end of next week though so the month doesn't combust. We have lots in the freezer just need a bit of fresh fruit and veg and we should be fine if I do a decent menu plan. We're starting with beans on toast for tea

3 loads of washing need to be done to be caught up, first one on and another will go on after and another overnight allowing me to do all the beds tomorrow.

Nice to go an explore new places and do new things, but also lovely to be home
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 6th Aug 18, 8:20 PM
    • 4,014 Posts
    • 34,299 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:20 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 8:20 PM
    Today went pretty much as planned. Had a lovely time, and felt much better after catching up with my friend - I really do get a lot out of seeing her, even though she lives a long way away. Got the last few bits for going away, and also stocked up on cleaning stuff for the house while I was in W1lk0 (thanks for the tip Foxgloves) - all from days out or grocery budget. Also managed to get ds his PE trainers (budgeted for). We used vouchers to eat out so saved some money.
    Got home, did a bit of exercise, had a bite to eat and packed my stuff ready for tomorrow. Now all I need is an early night... Oh, and the kids to get ready for tomorrow as well.
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 6th Aug 18, 8:22 PM
    • 660 Posts
    • 5,154 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Evening everyone

Many thanks for starting us off CCL

Has been a bitty day
    Banking checked first thing-all good

Dropped a lot of craft bits off that I had sorted out yesterday for a charity group. Parked in the middle of town in my normal spot, get back and the left hand side of the car on both doors have been scratched a lot. Put a dampner on the day ahead. Friend is going to take a look to see what he can do

Went to a meeting and then dived home to take cat to the vets for her check up. Because of her age she is going to need check ups every 3 months now. She must have picked up on my mood as normally it is a fight into the cat carrier but today wasn't too bad and she didn't go to bite the vet this time!!!!!!

Some housework done and a tidy around and put away.
    When DD arrived home she had 2 cardboard boxes for me, so one is packed and ready to send in the morning. The kitchen doesn't half look tidier just for packing up some of the stuff and I can reach the tea bags again!

Offered to cook food for DD but she wasn't really hungry so what I had planned I will save for tomorrow instead.
    Still have not completed my spends book for July, must get cracking with that and enter yesterday and today's receipts
    Paperwork is also building up again but with this nice weather it's the last thing you fancy doing.
    Ebay item is doing really well. With the sort out yesterday found more items I can put on-aim is to do this by Wednesday

Have a good evening everyone x
    2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 7th Aug 18, 12:15 AM
    • 5,264 Posts
    • 41,646 Thanks
    DawnW
    Ugh, went to bed but couldn't sleep, so got up again - sorted dishwasher, emptied washing machine and filled it up again. Killed a slug on the kitchen floor and finished off some chocolate from the fridge

Thought I would catch up on here before I go back to bed - not feeling at all tired, but I bet I will tomorrow!

• foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 7th Aug 18, 8:11 AM
    • 4,312 Posts
    • 22,811 Thanks
    foxgloves
    I woke up at Silly O'Clock too, Dawn. I couldn't work out why I could hear a weird squeaking sound. By the time I'd realised mr f had been up & switched the fan on, I was wide awake for a couple of hours. Today's money saving:
    *Surveys
    *Peg out overnight laundry - I'm loving all this free drying.
    *Soup making session.
    *Sort out freezer.
    *Make tomorrow's packed lunch.
    *Still awaiting progress on my 2nd complaint re dressmaking pattern. This Fri will mark a month since I ordered it. They took my money instantly but have not supplied the goods.
    *Water veggie garden.
    *Cut back cucmber vines as red spider mites have struck. It's classic weather conditions for them so am surprised it's taken this long. Had over 70 cukes though so can't complain!
    *Finish a sock for the presents box & cast on its pair.
    Mum still waiting for a hospital transfer back into her region. It's stressful but out of our hands so we are all just taking a day at a time. It's not possible to plan until we hear there's a bed.
    Ok, off to start that soup making.
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 470-01
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 353
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 7th Aug 18, 9:19 AM
    • 5,264 Posts
    • 41,646 Thanks
    DawnW
    Went back to bed at 1am and didn't get up till 8.20
    Sorry to hear that your Mum is stuck in hospital away from home Foxgloves. Hope she gets closer to home, or better still, out of hospital soon!

Few things planned for today:
    Check banks and update spreadsheet Done
    Pack and post an ebay item Done
    Take some more things to sales unit Done
    Do a small shop - we promised to take GD for a picnic tomorrow, so will buy a few little treats Done, though DD has asked if we can have her on Thursday instead. Doesn't make any difference to me.
    Peg next load of washing on line - I am enjoying being able to get it all dried outside too - though all the watering necessitated by the weather not so good 2 loads dry
    Clean bathroom Done
    Top up tea / coffee supplies in camper van and put GD's car seat in it, ready for tomorrow Not done, will do tomorrow
    Freeze some French beans and do something with a bowlful of windfall apples Not done, will do tomorrow
    Make a Greek spinach and feta filo pie for dinner, to use up a huge bag of spinach (it is one of our favourites anyway!) Done

Watering / picking produce in garden Watered front garden tonight. Also tidied, weeded path, moved pots around, put in a couple of geraniums in gaps etc

Hopefully there will be more!
    Last edited by DawnW; 07-08-2018 at 9:16 PM.

• PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 7th Aug 18, 9:42 AM
    • 2,381 Posts
    • 16,165 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all

I am in theory working today, but agreed with boss it would be a bit fluid this week, so will catch up on here before I start that Today will involve:

Picking raspberries and tomatoes from garden
    Feed tomatoes
    Make small list and go shopping, hopefully will get us through to next Friday
    Reconcile just for points cc
    Check banking, update sheet
    Check surveys
    More washing out, do the bedding
    Quick tidy round
    Put away last few things from our time away and get straight
    DH to gym, I might go and use steam room and maybe a gentle swim as I'm feeling good post op
    Top water up in some lovely flowers I was gifted
    Get something out of freezer for tea

Back later hope everyone is enjoying time away (if you are lucky enough to have it) and those others not posting are just enjoying the lovely British summer
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 7th Aug 18, 10:26 AM
    • 4,310 Posts
    • 27,796 Thanks
    allydowd
    Killed a slug on the kitchen floor and finished off some chocolate from the fridge
    Originally posted by DawnW

Could've been worse...could've dropped your chocolate on the floor and put a slug in the fridge.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 20

Bold 100 Miles Bicycle Bonanza Challenge: Completed
    Run 25 Miles for Sanity Challenge: Completed

"Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • Thrice
    • By Thrice 7th Aug 18, 10:59 AM
    • 57 Posts
    • 253 Thanks
    Thrice
    Morning all!

I don't know what happened to my reply yesterday, I must not have posted as I thought!

Short list for this week -

All food from stores (8 left in this weeks grocery budget if we need anything)
    Check comps every day, surveys etc as usual
    Check banking - done today, all looks like it's ticking over!
    Update spends for July - finished last night
    Update spends for August - will start tonight, I've got receipts and post-it's for everything
    Start writing a list of all the house jobs needing done (NOT looking forward to this one!)
    Write a list of all points etc I've got lying on cards, and see if I can use for remaining birthday gifts or christmas presents. I've got over 60 worth of Boots points for a start

Hope everyone is doing well today
    October 2018 Grocery Challange 53/150
    September 2018 Grocery Challange 160ish/200
    October Lunches 3/14
    September Lunches 19/19
    August Lunches 23/23
    August 2018 Grocery Challenge 190ish/230
    • Happy Kitties
    • By Happy Kitties 7th Aug 18, 8:25 PM
    • 660 Posts
    • 5,154 Thanks
    Happy Kitties
    Having a space cadet day......posted today's post on last week's thread

Not A massive amount done, parcels posted, kitchen looks a lot clearer and cleaner

Banking all checked-everything good

Was supposed to go round to friends tonight so they could have a look at scratches on the car and have some items to return. Going to go tomorrow instead as I just didn't have the energy tonight

Food planned for yesterday was cooked today. Made extra of other bits like roasties so we have 2 meals ready for tomorrow. Love it when u get two meals out of one.

Hoping that DD will stay in locust mode so that we run the freezer down a bit.

Right off to bed for me, hopefully will be more alert and on the right planet tomorrow

have a good evening everyone x

2017 birthday savings shopping frugally = 481.15:money. 2018 birthday savings so far=360.66
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 7th Aug 18, 8:33 PM
    • 4,014 Posts
    • 34,299 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Just a quick check in and hello from my phone. Not mse today today at all, as were away from home, but it was all planned and budgeted for.
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 7th Aug 18, 9:17 PM
    • 5,264 Posts
    • 41,646 Thanks
    DawnW
    Hope you are having a nice break CCL

• PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 8th Aug 18, 7:38 AM
    • 2,381 Posts
    • 16,165 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    Morning all glad you're enjoying yourself cat hope you have another lovely day. Dawn would you mind sharing your spinach and feta pie recipe please?

My list for today:
    One load already pegged out, another in
    Stripped our bed (only 1 I didn't do yesterday) was really hoping our mattress topper would fit in the machine but that was too hopeful, so I have put it out to air instead.
    Find something to do with 275g of sr flour that wouldn't fit in my normal flour tub after the bag split
    Cook off some courgettes in fridge if they are not in tonight's tea and freeze
    Home pedicure
    Get out in the garden and give it a bit of a tidy up, a couple of down falls of rain have sent some weeds a bit wild
    Move some interest to a long term savings pot
    Some home work with the smalls and possibly trip to the library

Have a good day everyone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,390Posts Today

7,556Users online

Martin's Twitter