Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • thetoothfairy
    • By thetoothfairy 6th Aug 18, 9:25 AM
    • 1,433Posts
    • 18,224Thanks
    thetoothfairy
    Rules about car covers
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:25 AM
    Rules about car covers 6th Aug 18 at 9:25 AM
    We live in a residential area that requires us to buy a permit to park the car in marked bays on the street.

For the past few months, a camper van has been parked here with a cover over it, so itís unclear if it has a permit.

I wouldnít mind except it often is there for weekend on end and the people park it in such a way as to take up two spaces.

I donít know if it has a permit but it was uncovered on Sunday (no parking permits required on Sundayís) and I couldnít see one.

The local council in their permit rules say that a permit needs to be displayed at all times. And that a car shouldnít be covered to obscure the permit.

Yet when I called them, they said that they are not allowed by law to touch a cover on a car, so canít do anything.

Is that correct?

Also should a car be required to have its number plate showing when parked on the toad - even if itís in a parking bay on that road?

Thabks
    2017: BFG blueray; designer lampshade set; theatre tickets x 2 lots: a holiday to Yorkshire; record player; Beatrix Potter gift set; family tickets to Leeds Castle
Page 2
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 6th Aug 18, 6:47 PM
    • 8,610 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Your garage wouldn't be a public road and thus the act doesn't apply?
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 6th Aug 18, 6:57 PM
    • 2,497 Posts
    • 2,465 Thanks
    Alter ego
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    See post 16.
    Loose means not tight, Lose means something is lost, simples no?
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 6th Aug 18, 7:02 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    It's say the driver is responsible which would suggest on a road, however when it's not been driven the keeper is responsible.

Given it's an excise offence I would suggest it referees to a road maintainable a public expense but there's too much to read through.
    Hi there! Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 6th Aug 18, 7:09 PM
    • 3,619 Posts
    • 2,235 Thanks
    Car 54
    It's say the driver is responsible which would suggest on a road, however when it's not been driven the keeper is responsible.

Given it's an excise offence I would suggest it referees to a road maintainable a public expense but there's too much to read through.
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....

This was raised on pepipoo.com fairly recently, and no-one on there could find anything to limit the offence to a road. Absurd, but there we are.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 6th Aug 18, 7:13 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 1,585 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    This was raised on pepipoo.com fairly recently, and no-one on there could find anything to limit the offence to a road. Absurd, but there we are.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    It doesn't surprise me given the number of errors in the road traffic act.
    Hi there! Weíve had to remove your signature. Please check the Forum Rules if youíre unsure why itís been removed and, if still unsure, email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

229Posts Today

1,678Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • The responses to this thread are no question the best of british! https://t.co/jv5Q2ErQQC

• RT @SMinihane87: @MartinSLewis After she received the title she addressed it in literally the first episode of the next season of the appre?

• RT @WhichUK: ??CHRISTMAS WARNING TO PARENTS?? Don't buy any of these slimes for your kids ? they all contain potentially unsafe levels of?

• Follow Martin