Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 6th Aug 18, 9:08 AM
    • 2,466Posts
    • 2,432Thanks
    Alter ego
    2 Master sockets? (BT)
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:08 AM
    2 Master sockets? (BT) 6th Aug 18 at 9:08 AM
    Trying to track down a fault on MILs phones. Found the incoming cable goes to a GPO junction box (Been there a while!) 2 cables emerge and each goes to a newish BT socket in separate areas.
    Doing the BT standard tests I could not decide which to treat as the master socket - Does it matter?
    Loose means not tight, Lose means something is lost, simples no?
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
Page 1
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 6th Aug 18, 9:40 AM
    • 33,654 Posts
    • 39,762 Thanks
    Browntoa
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:40 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:40 AM
    Yes , tests from master socket only , remove the front panel and test from there , you need to eliminate the internal wiring.

You could buy a BT master socket and unofficially reterminate the incoming cable to provide a test socket , assuming you are confident with rewire

A master socket has the test socket behind the front panel, an extension socket does not

Do either of the other newer socket have a test socket
    Last edited by Browntoa; 06-08-2018 at 9:45 AM.
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • neilmcl
    • By neilmcl 6th Aug 18, 9:49 AM
    • 11,786 Posts
    • 8,539 Thanks
    neilmcl
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:49 AM
    • 6th Aug 18, 9:49 AM
    I suppose you could "loosen" a cable in the GPO box then call your provider. Openreach should come out and replace this with an up to date master socket, or you could do it yourself even though strictly speaking you're not supposed to do.

You'll need one of these - http://amzn.eu/4g21R0X
    Last edited by neilmcl; 06-08-2018 at 9:54 AM.
    • Heedtheadvice
    • By Heedtheadvice 6th Aug 18, 12:36 PM
    • 955 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    Heedtheadvice
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:36 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 12:36 PM
    Ha! Just lost a screedI posted to try and help but you will get lots of info here https://www.telecomgreen.co.uk/blog/

Using a tone dialling cable connected phone dialling 17070 option 1 will give you an ident and ringback test and option 2 a quiet line test (to check for noise) but you would be advised to ensure the probkem is not the equipment 'your side' of the gpo box before calling in bt/openreach.

It sound like you do not have a modern master socket connected -they could well just be termination faceplates with sockets such as sould be used for extensions so the master status is irrelevant. Physical disconnection would be used in that case.
    • Alter ego
    • By Alter ego 6th Aug 18, 5:38 PM
    • 2,466 Posts
    • 2,432 Thanks
    Alter ego
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:38 PM
    • 6th Aug 18, 5:38 PM

Do either of the other newer socket have a test socket
    Originally posted by Browntoa
    Don't know yet, will check next visit.
    Problem is sorted though, it was a defective corded phone on an extension lead (upstairs) All is now well on a set of 3 cordless and an emergency call auto dialler.
    Loose means not tight, Lose means something is lost, simples no?
    Ignore me if you like, it's not the real me anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

104Posts Today

2,050Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • How much of your income do you spend on holidays each year? Please vote in this week's MSE site poll... https://t.co/LZ3YIGra1p

• RT @FinanceJames: @MartinSLewis Absolutely do. I've been shouldered out of the way by cyclists - while on a bike myself - because I'd stopp?

• I no longer have a car. I mostly walk (& occasionally cycle). I don't need lecturing on bad drivers, I lost my moth? https://t.co/tsBYUEhRjt

• Follow Martin